Pre shot question

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some advice for you:
If your teaching is often incomprehensible, maybe teaching isn't for you. Fran's advice is always clearly understood.

pj
chgo
FWIW I was casually remarking at your post. And besides the OP asked for why players walk over to the pocket line and even supplied the common answer. Frans official version was a little constricting for me regardless.
As far as teaching, I teach I learn, I relay accurate information regardless. The cookie cutter approach, something that seems prevalent in sport instruction often is completely void of insight and appears to be more about decorum than education.

You have difficulty visualizing caroms? You play position, you have to be cognizant of caroms. I commented in another thread on the visual attributes of illustrators, draftsmen etc... and their highly developed perspectual (there's that word again) accuity. Applied to this carom enigma, the perspective adjusted carom is still perpendicular to the object ball line - and right there in front of you. Fyask me it's easier to conjure than ghost ball.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you may have appointed yourself queen of this thread and are defending your territory. If you can't make the correlation between, cuts, caroms, and shot perception in a shooting thread, maybe you should go back to piano.
Some advice for you:
Comprehension, and perception are part of the teaching process. Mother hen-ing, not so much.
Where did my gender come into play here? What's up with your queen and mother hen comments? This is a discussion about pool. Are you going to turn it into something else?

Last edited:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where did my gender come into play here? What's up with your queen and mother hen comments? This is a discussion about pool. Are you going to turn it into something else?
You prefer king? Rooster? Common expressions. I was under the impression you are a woman pooler. Am I mistaken? I must say you are a little high strung for this discussion. You can go back and reread the thread. If it doesn't sink in, I can't help you.

So what do _you_look at as you shoot?

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You prefer king? Rooster? Common expressions. I was under the impression you are a woman pooler. Am I mistaken? I must say you are a little high strung for this discussion. You can go back and reread the thread. If it doesn't sink in, I can't help you.

So what do _you_look at as you shoot?
None of those things you just called me insults me because they're silly, but "pooler?" What are you ---- a beginner? Seriously? And you're trying to give advice here? Anyway, back to your posts: Be clear in your head and be clear in what you write because if it doesn't make sense it will be challenged, and not just by me.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
None of those things you just called me insults me because they're silly, but "pooler?" What are you ---- a beginner? Seriously? And you're trying to give advice here? Anyway, back to your posts: Be clear in your head and be clear in what you write because if it doesn't make sense it will be challenged, and not just by me.
Not trying to insult you. Just speaking truth. I comment as I see fit. Most challenges I get are of the ignorant off base variety but if I'm wrong, I'd admit it.
You jocks are a funny breed. Gotta win, gotta own... I play pool TS...
Incidentally, pooler is a good word. Bowler, golfer, archer, driver, runner, it doesn't end.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not trying to insult you. Just speaking truth. I comment as I see fit. Most challenges I get are of the ignorant off base variety but if I'm wrong, I'd admit it.
You jocks are a funny breed. Gotta win, gotta own... I play pool TS...
Incidentally, pooler is a good word. Bowler, golfer, archer, driver, runner, it doesn't end.
Jock? Please allow me to introduce myself. I'm a former president of the Women's Professional Billiard Association, and many times executive board member. I negotiated the first women's televised pool tournament. I was a touring pro for over 20 years and ranked in the top 16 for many years. My highest finish in a pro event was 2nd with several top 5 and top 10 finishes during the prime years of the WPBA Pro Tour. I have also won a fair share of regional and local tournaments against both men and women.

After 7 years of training and testing, I became the first woman in the world to become a Master Billiard Instructor, certified by the BCA Instructor Program.

In later years, I was chosen to represent the North American pro players' interests in the World Governing body --- the WPA (World Pool Billiard Association), and I served as an executive board member for 4 years, making sure our players and all the players on the world stage got a fair shake.

I'm the recipient of multiple awards for my service to the industry, including the National Wheel Chair Players Association service award and the Billiard Congress of America's President's award.

I've participated in over a hundred charity events as a representative of our sport --- for example, charities like Babies Hospitals and literacy organizations to help children learn to read, Paul Sorvino's Asthma Foundation, to name a few.

I've been a technical advisor for TV and films. For example: I created a series of shots and shot them for a Bud Lite Super Bowl commercial and worked with Al Pacino in Carlito's Way and created the famous pool shot on the chalks for the film.

I've taught over a thousand private lessons and held hundreds of group seminars. My teachers were people with the wisdom of the ages who I'm eternally grateful for and I post here to share those bits of wisdom with people who really want to learn the game.

Jock? LOL. Yeah, right.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Too late to spare me your resume but whatever. It affirms my queen impression. Maybe you prefer bossy? For all your titles, your calling is jock. Doesn't entitle you to talk down to me either. Anything else you wanna talk about?

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Too late to spare me your resume but whatever. It affirms my queen impression. Maybe you prefer bossy? For all your titles, your calling is jock. Doesn't entitle you to talk down to me either. Anything else you wanna talk about?
LOL. Okay. Whatever you say beginner, just remember --- make sense when you post and you won't be challenged. If you can't handle being challenged, then don't post. And when I challenge you, I'm bringing a whole lot of experience with me, so don't feel so insulted next time. Just pay attention and try to learn something. Oh, and I have no problem being corrected if I make a mistake and I often yield to our scientists here. I'm not like you. I'm not afraid to admit what I don't know.... Bye for now....

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL. Okay. Whatever you say beginner, just remember --- make sense when you post and you won't be challenged. If you can't handle being challenged, then don't post. And when I challenge you, I'm bringing a whole lot of experience with me, so don't feel so insulted next time. Just pay attention and try to learn something. Oh, and I have no problem being corrected if I make a mistake. I'm not like you. Bye for now....
As soon as I develop respect for you opinions, you got it. So far I prefer my thinking. Incidentally beginner what? Incidentally I'm a fledgling at a lot of things. Thinking straight isn't one of 'em.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As soon as I develop respect for you opinions, you got it. So far I prefer my thinking. Incidentally beginner what? Incidentally I'm a fledgling at a lot of things. Thinking straight isn't one of 'em.
FWIW, I have read your posts for awhile now and I usually don't understand at least one or two things you say in each post. I think you have some good information but I'm not sure. Example: You said something about when a back cut is in the open and the angle is severe you should hit the carom instead. Maybe that's not a quote but it is close to that. I have no idea what that means.

gerryf

You may have some knowledge, but you seem to invent your own terminology, so it's frequently hard to tell. You might find it easier to get your point across if you learn to describe things in commonly-used language.

In my opinion, Fran does a very good job of communicating. Her explanations are clear and concise. A good model to follow.

stumpie71

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread sure took a a turn.

While I can't speak for the pros, I personally look at the shot from behind the object ball because it allows me to visualize the angles and shot line. The contact point isn't a priority for me, yes I still look at it, however I visualize a line through the ob to a point in the pocket or the rail.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FWIW, I have read your posts for awhile now and I usually don't understand at least one or two things you say in each post. I think you have some good information but I'm not sure. Example: You said something about when a back cut is in the open and the angle is severe you should hit the carom instead. Maybe that's not a quote but it is close to that. I have no idea what that means.
The context is this thread; not loading up one poster. It simply means as the hit gets thinner, the carom is easier to see.

stumpie71

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I believe straightline is saying on back cuts or severe find the angle the cb will travel after contact (carom line?) and use that for an aiming point of reference. That way you have a aiming spot that you can see. If you hit this spot and the cb takes the it's line then you should make the shot.

If you golf it's like picking a spot that can be seen between the ball and cup.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You may have some knowledge, but you seem to invent your own terminology, so it's frequently hard to tell. You might find it easier to get your point across if you learn to describe things in commonly-used language.

In my opinion, Fran does a very good job of communicating. Her explanations are clear and concise. A good model to follow.
I imagine you've been around the country in the context of pool bla bla...
I gave PJ a short list of items that tack on to contact geometry.

I come here to exercise my pool intellect. I post as I see fit. I will also take a step or two at clarifying any legit (or legit appearing) points, questions, concerns, bla bla...

Incidently, <head mistress don't get it> is not a high priority.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe straightline is saying on back cuts or severe find the angle the cb will travel after contact (carom line?) and use that for an aiming point of reference. That way you have a aiming spot that you can see. If you hit this spot and the cb takes the it's line then you should make the shot.

If you golf it's like picking a spot that can be seen between the ball and cup.
Thank you.

gerryf

I imagine you've been around the country in the context of pool bla bla...
I gave PJ a short list of items that tack on to contact geometry.

I come here to exercise my pool intellect. I post as I see fit. I will also take a step or two at clarifying any legit (or legit appearing) points, questions, concerns, bla bla...

Incidently, <head mistress don't get it> is not a high priority.

I agree with you that Fran is clearly a professional instructor, and is a great asset to this forum.