Predator 314 vs. Mezz wd700

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Which of these shafts do you prefer? I recently switched from a regular shaft to the 314 and my pocketing has improved but my cueball and touch has suffered... possibly Im not used to it yet. I've heard the mezz has more feel. I bought a mezz shaft but havn't got it tapped for my pin yet, just want to hear some opinions.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
314/2 is very popular where I play, why that is I really don`t know, I`ve never been that impressed with Predators shafts, sure they have low deflection, but the price you pay is a shaft that lacks feel, feedback and the shafts seems to be fairly fragile too.
Mezz shafts are solid maple with a superior feel to Predator. None of the Mezz shafts has as low deflection as 314/2, but they are still great LD shafts.
The WX/WD700 is a great shaft, wich plays more or less like a regular maple shaft, it just has lower deflection.
The WX900 has a smaller tip diameter (12mm) and a short ferrule like the Z2 shaft.
Plays really well, with very low deflection.
Hybrid Pro II is 12.5mm with the carbon core technology. Stiffer than WX700/900, but good LD qualities. This shaft really transfers energy in an efficient way.
Hybrid Alpha has a 12.8mm tip diameter and carbon core technology, stiff hit, but not as stiff as Hybrid Pro II, imparts lots of spin and fairly good LD qualities.

I like WX900 and Hybrid Alpha best.

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
I thought the major concensus was that OB shafts come the closest to Predator in terms of deflection, but with way more feel, could be the best of both worlds :thumbup:

Can't wait to get an OB Classic Plus.

But then again, I've never heard anything bad about Mezz shafts. I would say ask some people at Steinway, but every time I'm there, the majority of shafts I see are Predators.

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
My Experience

I use both the 314-2 and the WD700 and I can see little or no difference as far as playability and/or deflection.

Wedge

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have both and am currently using the 314.

Every time I put on the WD 700 I am reminded how much I love the hit. However, the amount of deflection between the two is not tantamount. I have to compensate much more with the WD, and it results in more misses (for me).

If you came up on maple shafts, the Mezz should suit you just fine. If you came up on Preds or OBs stick with the 314.

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Wedge has it right above.

I've played extensively with both. I had a defect in my original Mezz, not the greatest experience trying to replace it, and switched back to 314-2 and then OB Classic. A few months ago I ran into someone with a Mezz shaft and decided to give it another try, now it's my main shaft again.

For me, the Mezz WD700 (or slightly newer WX700), is a nicer size - 12.5mm instead of 12.75mm. Also one piece construction, so unlike some previous laminated products, there are no glue lines to worry about eventually cracking from use, expansion/contraction, etc.

I feel it provides a truer maple shaft feel than the other LD products, a little more solid and slightly stiffer feeling hit. You may notice something different depending on the joint or tip you are using. That being said, the differences are not night and day, just a slight preference for me, they are not so far apart that I can't just grab any other similarly sized LD shaft (314-2, OB1, OB Classic, etc.) and play pretty much the same. Just prefer the feel of the Mezz at the moment, and I do like the 1/4mm size difference as well.

One last thing about the deflection. I'm an "A" rated player, and very picky and sensitive to equipment in pool and other sports, and I have tried probably 6 - 8 shafts over the last 2 years and put them through their paces. There is virtually no difference between the 314-2, OB1 or OB Classic, and Mezz WD700, I can hit the same normal and extreme spin shots interchangeably with any of them. I will notice slight differences, more in sensitivity to speed or what part of the pocket certain shots might go into, but the margin for error is usually large enough where they still go in and most people wouldn't notice.

I think the people who are saying the WD700 deflects more either didn't test it objectively or properly or are using a heavier shaft. One thing I noticed is that the Mezz shafts seem to have a much wider range of weights than the Predator or OB products, probably because of the solid wood construction. I've seen them anywhere from 3.7 to 4.4 oz, and I can tell you from experience that the shafts on the high end do deflect more than the lighter ones or the similar Predator/OB products. When I bought my most recent Mezz, I asked the dealer to weigh the ones they had available, they had a 3.7, 3.9, and 4.3 and I chose the 3.9 and couldn't be happier.

Long, but hopefully the info was useful.
Scott

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
Which of these shafts do you prefer? I recently switched from a regular shaft to the 314 and my pocketing has improved but my cueball and touch has suffered... possibly Im not used to it yet. I've heard the mezz has more feel. I bought a mezz shaft but havn't got it tapped for my pin yet, just want to hear some opinions.

I like them both. The mezz plays very close to a regular shaft as far as feel.Plus the ld. Great shaft.