2.Control
3.Price/Performance
4.etc

Need some info here..
Thanks

tank69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One is $400, the other is MUCH cheaper.....They are the same cue. If you want to have the Predator BK2 "name", if that's your thing, get one. If not, get the poison. I've used both, no difference.

mr2_serious

BRUTE FORCE BABY!
Silver Member
You should try to find a person that has one each and try it. They break very similar but the poison is a tad stiffer.

Realizm

I love cocobolo cues.
Silver Member
Vx break / jump is a great cue i justed picked up one .. and forgot i'm getting a custom break , cue .. so it is for sale .. and i broke 2 racks and it breaks the balls good ...

kyofu

Registered
You should try to find a person that has one each and try it. They break very similar but the poison is a tad stiffer.

i've never tried poison vx but i've tried bk2 before and i really like it
despite from the price,bk2 is 2x pricey than $200 poison vx,and for $200 i get both a break and jump cue

is really worth to spend $400 for bk2 performance?

Junkyarddog

Kelly
Silver Member
The VX has more deflection and I like it for jumping with a full cue. Ferrule on the VX is not good for breaking if you follow through with the tip touching the table because it will melt like any other Predator playing shaft. I also like the short radial joint better than the Uni-loc as well.

Predator feels like a little higher quality build even though they are both made in the same factory. The hit feels much more firm and the cue feels more accurate.

I currently break with the BK2 since the front end on the Poison keeps breaking down on me. I've tried two different shafts and each of them have the same problem. I do like the feel of the poison better.

It's all preference and every piece of wood is different so try them out for yourself. Hope this helps.

kyofu

Registered
The VX has more deflection and I like it for jumping with a full cue. Ferrule on the VX is not good for breaking if you follow through with the tip touching the table because it will melt like any other Predator playing shaft. I also like the short radial joint better than the Uni-loc as well.

Predator feels like a little higher quality build even though they are both made in the same factory. The hit feels much more firm and the cue feels more accurate.

I currently break with the BK2 since the front end on the Poison keeps breaking down on me. I've tried two different shafts and each of them have the same problem. I do like the feel of the poison better.

It's all preference and every piece of wood is different so try them out for yourself. Hope this helps.

that was really helpful thank you so much!
so poison vx goes down when it comes to CB control right?how about the power?are they same?

~jj~

3 ball ghost is strong
Silver Member
based on the questions you are asking, please take the following advice into consideration.

buy the poison. price is a factor, otherwise you wouldn't be asking. several people have already commented that the bk2 and the poison are very similar in performance. that solves that problem.

http://www.seyberts.com/catalog/Jump/Break_Cues-332.html

If for some reason you don't like it, you shouldn't have a tough time reselling it.

the saying, "It's the indian, and not the arrow" most likely applies here.

best of luck.

now, playing devil's advocate....

If you break hard and have a tough time hitting center ball, then you want a very low deflection break cue. this is where the bk2 excels. the 314 shaft deflects very little and will provide more accuracy assuming you're following the "whack the crap out of it without control" method.

again, the bk2 does not jump very well. no low deflection shaft does.
If you got a used, wrapless bk2 for $200ish and a used poison jump for $90ish, then I don't think you would be going wrong that route either.

then you have to ask yourself if you want to and can carry the extra (jump) cue in your current case. And do you want to pull out the jump cue for a shot, or would you rather just break down your break/jump cue.

with a sound breaking technique, you will be very well off with either cue.
heck, you could buy a poison break jump and a breakrak deluxe for the same price as a bk2 and a jump cue.

hopefully this is enough input to help you make the best decision.

oh, btw, if you're really really good, then get the pink breast cancer awareness poison. It will intimidate your opponents immensely, and support a good cause, IMO. :p

Last edited:

atthecat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
are we talking about the VX 2.9 Jump/Break Cue Blackbelt or the VX 2.9 Jump/Break Cue Striker??? Or are they the same?

kyofu

Registered
based on the questions you are asking, please take the following advice into consideration.

buy the poison. price is a factor, otherwise you wouldn't be asking. several people have already commented that the bk2 and the poison are very similar in performance. that solves that problem.

http://www.seyberts.com/catalog/Jump/Break_Cues-332.html

If for some reason you don't like it, you shouldn't have a tough time reselling it.

the saying, "It's the indian, and not the arrow" most likely applies here.

best of luck.

now, playing devil's advocate....

If you break hard and have a tough time hitting center ball, then you want a very low deflection break cue. this is where the bk2 excels. the 314 shaft deflects very little and will provide more accuracy assuming you're following the "whack the crap out of it without control" method.

again, the bk2 does not jump very well. no low deflection shaft does.
If you got a used, wrapless bk2 for $200ish and a used poison jump for $90ish, then I don't think you would be going wrong that route either.

then you have to ask yourself if you want to and can carry the extra (jump) cue in your current case. And do you want to pull out the jump cue for a shot, or would you rather just break down your break/jump cue.

with a sound breaking technique, you will be very well off with either cue.
heck, you could buy a poison break jump and a breakrak deluxe for the same price as a bk2 and a jump cue.

hopefully this is enough input to help you make the best decision.

oh, btw, if you're really really good, then get the pink breast cancer awareness poison. It will intimidate your opponents immensely, and support a good cause, IMO. :p

thanks ~jj~ for your very good advice
actually, i already have a jump cue and a play cue in my case right now..but i don't mind buying a poison vx jump/break because it is much cheaper than bk2..

i break using a closed bridge so it was easy to hit the center of the CB,i don't need LD shaft for a break..what i really need is the control and power of a break cue...

many people here said that they are similar in performance..
so maybe i should go with poison vx because it is much cheaper..and i really like the grip too!!

what about the tip?
should i replace the phenolic tip with a hard leather tip like samsara?

~jj~

3 ball ghost is strong
Silver Member
what i really need is the control and power of a break cue...
A break cue will give you more power, but you are going to be on your own for the control part. In fact, a lot of people will put medium leather tips on the break cues to get more control and sacrifice small amounts of power. If you are a strong breaker, then at some point you will have too much power anyways and need to back off a little bit and gain control.

just watch shane van boening break with his playing cue. Technique is what the break is all about.

what about the tip?
should i replace the phenolic tip with a hard leather tip like samsara?

only if you are playing in a BCAPL national event that requires you to not use phenolic.

on my bk2, I started with phenolic, then went to samsara jump break which was almost identical in hardness, and now I have a kamui black medium on there.

technique and timing will make more of a difference than tip hardness in my opinion. If you like the poison, get it and try it out, then if you don't like it, you can mess with changing the tip. I would not go from a phenolic to a samsara personally unless you are forced to by rules.

I do think the white diamond has more pop than a phenolic, and you could be ok with that also, but the poison breaks and jumps really well as it is, so you probably wouldn't be gaining much by changing the tip.

Last edited:

obr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just wanted to clarify, for anyone who's tried these cues, is the bk2 shaft at 12.75 while the poison is 13mm?

thanks

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member
The BK2 is a low deflection break cue that also helps one maximize break speed. That is why it's more expensive than the Poison.

They might break the same speed, but the BK2 is low deflection and is more forgiving.

S.Tat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As mentioned, the BK2 is slightly better in terms of minimizing deflection.

I personally have a VX2.9 B/J and had it for about 2 years now. It feels better to me for breaking than the BK2 due to personal preference.

I don't like jumping with it though because of the higher deflection, so I just carry a Predator Air around with me.

maxeypad2007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it matters I'm using a Bk2 with a samsara break tip and love it. I feel like this cue breaks much better with the Samsara tip and I bet the same would go for the poison