Predator shaft comparison. 314 vs Vantage

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kim Bye,

Just a couple of points of correction here. Predator has added 0.05mm, not 0.5. 0.5mm additional would bring it up to 13.25 lol. Presumably a typo.

Also, the ferrule material is most assuredly NOT LBM. What you might be thinking of is how OB changed their ferrule material on the new Plus shafts with the white ferrules. I believe they went to an LBM or LBM like material. Predator ferrules are still made of some kinda top secret plastic. The BK3 ferrule appears to be an LBM type material, but all of the playing shafts are not.

I will say that for me, the one difference in the feel that I most notice is that the 314-2 seemed to have a more linear amount of squirt. The 3 series seems to have less at low speeds and more at high speeds. This is sort of an odd quality, and definitely takes some time to get used to. I love the hit of the 3, and the overall construction quality is very good, possibly better than the 2. However, having played for several months with the 3, I just got my 314-2 partial back from Andy Gilbert. Now this partial I got was *the nuts*. It is probably the nicest Predator shaft I have ever seen. Absolutely flawless grain, beautiful tone (sound...hit, whatever you want to call it). It just seems *natural* to me. Also it is way lighter without that big chunk of phenolic in the joint. This happens to work perfectly for me, since I am tall with long arms, and use have for the past 4 years used a mid extension. My cue feels wonderfully balanced now.

I would definitely recommend trying a partial shaft, and having your cue maker install the joint. So far of the 2 314-2 Predator shafts I've got from Andy Gilbert, they both seem vastly better than the off the shelf ones I have...better weight, better hit, far more feedback to the hit. I just love them. My 314-3 is off the shelf. It is a very very nice shaft. But I bet I would like a 314-3 partial even more. Anyway, food for thought.

KMRUNOUT

Yes 0.05mm :)
I have changed tips on quite a few 314/3 and the ferrule has got a very fine weave in it, looks alot like some sort of LBM to me, but you are probeably right about being a proprietary material of some sort.
The shafts seem to be better quality than 314/2.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes 0.05mm :)
I have changed tips on quite a few 314/3 and the ferrule has got a very fine weave in it, looks alot like some sort of LBM to me, but you are probeably right about being a proprietary material of some sort.
The shafts seem to be better quality than 314/2.

I've also changed several 314-3 tips. I think LBM is just too heavy for what Predator wants to achieve. I've actually not noticed the weave you mentioned. Although like I said I it is super obvious on the BK3.

I agree on the quality as well.

KMRUNOUT

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vantage has a higher accuracy across the board due to how the ENTIRE shaft is engineered, not just one specific piece.The strength comes from the foundation and shape of the taper..

I wonder if Seybert's would offer the S-tuned treatment for the Vantage shaft like they do the Z2 and Z3.
Anyone know?
However, considering your statement above I guess the shaft would lose much of its characteristics.
Might even end up playing close to what the 314 plays like.

Last edited:

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder if Seybert's would offer the S-tuned treatment for the Vantage shaft like they do the Z2 and Z3.
Anyone know?
However, considering your statement above I guess the shaft would lose much of its characteristics.
Might even end up playing close to what the 314 plays like.

Exactly my thoughts.

KMRUNOUT

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been a 'back and forth' old tight grain maple to various LD's player over the last few years.

Swore off all LD's about 1.5 years ago but I have been playing a 314-3 exclusively the last 3 few months and my game has shown improvement on the 9'ers which is where I spend 90% of my time now.

I like the 3 so much, I am thinking of going incognito and snagging a 314-3 partial going no collar soon for one of my non-collared Sneaky's.

Good rolls:groucho:

-Kat,

The Dragon

Registered
Does anyone know why Predator says the Vantage is more accurate at high speeds than the 314-3?
Sounds a little weird to me but I just wanted to know if there's anything to this claim.
On top of that the 314 seems to be the least accurate at slow speeds as well.

http://www.predatorcues.com/shafts/predator-low-deflection-shaft/

Can someone explain?

Thanks

Buzz words and marketing...

The most determining factor of accuracy is your stroke, equipment matters but only so much.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buzz words and marketing...

The most determining factor of accuracy is your stroke, equipment matters but only so much.

Clearly you didn't read KMRUNOUT's reply.
It's really excellent and explains this in detail.
Go to page one and read it if you can.