Predator table review, 2024 Expo

Thresh

I saw Predators new table at our "open" 2 years ago, I cant remember what they called the tournament but it was the 10 ball spot shot format. My opinion seeing them in person is completely opposite of yours. I got more of a feeling that the new Predator was more on level with a Valley than a Diamond. While I have no problem with Diamond tables and quite like them ( I'm not sure why anyone would want every pool table to play exactly the same) I do own a modified GCI and would not trade it for a Diamond. The only way my GCI leaves is if someone drops off an Anniversary in its place. Just an opinion, we all have them.
I believe the 9ft drop pocket predator tables are more or less in line with any other drop pocket 9 ft. Could only complain about the pocket points.

Most of the complaints are about the ridiculous mechanicals of the table, find on 7ft only I believe.

murdoc23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have a pool room locally that have all predator 7' bar boxes that we played league on this past season. One other room has 7' Diamonds, and the rest are all valley's. Nearly everyone's opinion that I've talked to is that the Predators are like a a Diamond and Valley had a baby. They have the rails of a Valley, the roll of a Diamond. Pretty much everyone likes them. Personally I like the looks of them. However you can see here and there the quality is just a thin veneer. The fit and finish seem a bit off. Like the dots on the side rails don't always sit flush. The literal veneer seems thin, and the predator cloth doesn't seem to be holding up too well. So I'm really interested to see how they hold up in a pool room after a few years.

I really like Diamonds, but I too get irritated with how bouncy the rails are. Sometimes I swear the ball picks up more energy after hitting a rail! Like their made out of the same stuff the super-bouncy-balls are that you get out of gumball machines!

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have a pool room locally that have all predator 7' bar boxes that we played league on this past season. One other room has 7' Diamonds, and the rest are all valley's. Nearly everyone's opinion that I've talked to is that the Predators are like a a Diamond and Valley had a baby. They have the rails of a Valley, the roll of a Diamond. Pretty much everyone likes them. Personally I like the looks of them. However you can see here and there the quality is just a thin veneer. The fit and finish seem a bit off. Like the dots on the side rails don't always sit flush. The literal veneer seems thin, and the predator cloth doesn't seem to be holding up too well. So I'm really interested to see how they hold up in a pool room after a few years.

I really like Diamonds, but I too get irritated with how bouncy the rails are. Sometimes I swear the ball picks up more energy after hitting a rail! Like their made out of the same stuff the super-bouncy-balls are that you get out of gumball machines!
As far as the cloth, I can offer a story from one room. Keep in mind, this is one room's experience. They had a one pocket league, which the owner played in. They take good care of the nine foot tables. They are set up correctly and maintained well. After some issues with the cloth, he tore the predator cloth off them and put simionis back on. I got to jump and masse on one of the tables all I wanted to before they switched cloth. Now like I said, that is one rooms experience. It will be interesting to hear from room owners that have those tables in their room.

murdoc23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as the cloth, I can offer a story from one room. Keep in mind, this is one room's experience. They had a one pocket league, which the owner played in. They take good care of the nine foot tables. They are set up correctly and maintained well. After some issues with the cloth, he tore the predator cloth off them and put simionis back on.
Yeah, I'm not surprised to hear that. The room here that uses Predators is VERY well maintained. The cloth looked great at the beginning. Looked like Simonis, but felt a little rougher to the touch to me. Played great. But after a few months of league it is looking pretty rough. Seems to catch a lot of dirt and oils. I think if I ordered one of these tables I'd definitely upgrade to the Simonis cloth.

I'm shocked to see that the Predator tables cost as much or more than Diamonds! I'm not a table mechanic, so I haven't torn them apart, but the Predator looks good, feels cheap. Diamond looks good, feels good. Just need to fix those darn bouncy rails.

SeniorTom

I'm shocked to see that the Predator tables cost as much or more than Diamonds! I'm not a table mechanic, so I haven't torn them apart, but the Predator looks good, feels cheap.
I think Predator is really milking their brand name, and not putting out the best quality stuff. I couldn't believe the two cases I purchased from them, the Urbain and the Roadline, ang quality wasn't there.

With the purchase of any product, I am sure some consumers look at post-purchase, customer service, warranty, etc. The business side of this sport hasn't been in the best or healthiest shape. I have heard a lot of talk about Brunswick doing little to nothing to support, promote, etc., and help the sport, numbers trending down, and other negatives. Wasn't there some litigation involving the Mosconi Estate and the use of his name? I remember reading something about his name being commercially used without permission, rights, etc. Anyway, buying a new table for my house, is very different than buying 20 tables or more for a pool room, operationally of course, LOL.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as the 7’ vs 9’, the square foot argument assumes full capacity. If your room is jam packed, all the time, the sevens make you more money. If you have a room full of sevens, that nobody wants to play on, you go broke. Personally, when I go, I always shoot on the 9. Why would I travel, to shoot on a 7? You can do that anywhere.

As far as the 7’ vs 9’, the square foot argument assumes full capacity. If your room is jam packed, all the time, the sevens make you more money. If you have a room full of sevens, that nobody wants to play on, you go broke. Personally, when I go, I always shoot on the 9. Why would I travel, to shoot on a 7? You can do that anywhere.

Absolutely -- and everything in between -- my friend. The difference between math and economics. It sounds like 7 footers are far more popular in various parts of the country.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
We had several pool halls around here many years ago, now there are NONE, and only 2 nine foot tables that are public. At a restaurant. Zero Diamonds, but many bars with 2 or 3 Valley tables. One bar has 3 OS 8' Brunswicks in poor shape. There's a spot soon have 6 (7') Diamonds, hopefully that improves the pool scene.

SeniorTom

We had several pool halls around here many years ago, now there are NONE, and only 2 nine foot tables that are public. At a restaurant. Zero Diamonds, but many bars with 2 or 3 Valley tables. One bar has 3 OS 8' Brunswicks in poor shape. There's a spot soon have 6 (7') Diamonds, hopefully that improves the pool scene.
Being a senior as my name implies, I go to the senior center where they have 38-ft Olhausen tables. They have double shimmed pockets, Plus the pocket cut is deeper into the pocket then standard tables making it very difficult to pot balls. Everybody complains how the balls don't fall easily, but it is a very inexpensive venue to play at for all day long. There are also a couple pool halls locally, one with 14 9-ft tables, and about 20 7 ft tables. I feel fortunate that there are options and places to play pool at, I wish everybody would have the same benefit. Although, pool is becoming more popular, and with covid not being the threat it was, I expect Billiards to start excelling a little bit. One League I am on started with 18 teams a couple years ago and now is at 32 teams.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
You are delusional. Predator redesigned the whole pool stick. Several times over the past 30 years. For the better. To say they are a marketing company completely ignores their entire history. They halved how much you need to adjust for spin.

Diamond redesigned tables into pin ball machines. The rest they did a great job: The materials, the sturdiness, the level, the transport and setup, the optical cue ball. The rails, they redesigned for the worse.

Anyway, I did not mean this to be a Diamond bashing thread. You guys made it into that.

The Predator table on its own merit plays great. I recommend it if looking for a new table.
A review coming from a Pro player like you with a what, 545 Fargo rating, really says it all😅🤣

realkingcobra

Silver Member
One more, the 7' Gold Crown Coin. I didn't play on this one, but I watched Savana play on it a good 10 minutes in one of the booths. She was sharing the booth with Oscar. The rails on that also played properly. I then went and talked to Oscar later that night, when they were packing up the booth, and thanked him also for being involved with Brunswick, and begged him to get them back in the game. He said they are working on some stuff. I also said these rails play perfect, they are not boingy like the "other" brand. He agreed completely.
Didn't you say you know a lot about pool tables??? Here's a free education for you, Brunswick don't build a 7ft coin operated pool table!!! Now here's another lesson, for free! GLOBAL BILLIARDS in California builds the Brunswick 7ft coin operated pool table for Brunswick!!! But make no mistake in your understanding, that table is really a GLOBAL dressed like a Brunswick!!!!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didn't you say you know a lot about pool tables??? Here's a free education for you, Brunswick don't build a 7ft coin operated pool table!!! Now here's another lesson, for free! GLOBAL BILLIARDS in California builds the Brunswick 7ft coin operated pool table for Brunswick!!! But make no mistake in your understanding, that table is really a GLOBAL dressed like a Brunswick!!!!
I said earlier I don't care if the tables are made on the moon, or private labeled, or some sort of partnership with whatever brand is on the sticker. That's completely irrelevant.

All I care is that they play right. The Predator 7' and Predator 9', and the Brunswick 7' GCc, and Brunswick 9' Gold Crown, all give the Diamond rails/cushions the handspan.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BTW, all these different manufacturers all over the world even help prove the point..... they all do a fine job building a rail that bounces properly. Even the junk furniture tables. Its only Diamond that never got it right from 30 plus years ago until now. How can a company go so long and not give a shit about the most fundamental part of a table play? If it wasn't for you, I'd bet the house we would still have the Red rails. And if it wasn't for Barton, we'd still have black colored One and Nine balls.