Predator World 8 Ball Championship (Nov 19-22), Puerto Rico, Winner $60K

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope we see more major 8 ball tournaments. Pool isn’t on TV anyway so we don’t need to worry about pandering to the lowest common denominator.

It was exciting and strategic at the same time with super aggressive play and great shotmaking. Much better than the recent 10 ball events which have been slogs with almost no BNRs.

telinoz

Registered
So good to see Professional 8-Ball back.
I hope we see more major 8 ball tournaments. Pool isn’t on TV anyway so we don’t need to worry about pandering to the lowest common denominator.

It was exciting and strategic at the same time with super aggressive play and great shotmaking. Much better than the recent 10 ball events which have been slogs with almost no BNRs.
Yep.

I would watch 8Ball all the time over 9ball or 10ball.
8ball is just more interesting IMO.
As a player and a viewer.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yep.

sure. but the reason it was interesting for the viewers was also the reason some of the players will be complaining about, i.e. the slug racking. i loved it, btw. if they're going to have more 8-ball events, be sure to bring these refs and the predator aero rack.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yep.

I enjoy seeing them play 8 ball too. However, I prefer to see them play 8 ball on a bar table as it makes them negotiate more break outs and tight lay outs

telinoz

Registered
sure. but the reason it was interesting for the viewers was also the reason some of the players will be complaining about, i.e. the slug racking. i loved it, btw. if they're going to have more 8-ball events, be sure to bring these refs and the predator aero rack.
More balls, more random break patterns is all.
I play with a turtle rack, still get random kisses once the balls are flying.
Even when I am dialed in and hitting the head ball dead center.
Yes, another reason 8ball is better.. more randomness!

telinoz

Registered
I enjoy seeing them play 8 ball too. However, I prefer to see them play 8 ball on a bar table as it makes them negotiate more break outs and tight lay outs
I tend to agree with this.
I play both, but prefer 7ft table for this reason.
Great fun breaking out clusters and finesse for cueball position vs. playing for lines.
Diamond table, tighter pockets as well.
Valley 7ft tables and buckets takes fun out of it.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More balls, more random break patterns is all.
I play with a turtle rack, still get random kisses once the balls are flying.
Even when I am dialed in and hitting the head ball dead center.
Yes, another reason 8ball is better.. more randomness!

you, sure, but these guys with a template is boring af (source every euro 8b tournament the last decade). make it tough both to break and shoot and 8-ball is fun to watch.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I was pleasantly surprised by the winner break format. I honestly don’t remember the last time I saw ever a winner break 8 ball tournament. Maybe the IPT?

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I tend to agree with this.
I play both, but prefer 7ft table for this reason.
Great fun breaking out clusters and finesse for cueball position vs. playing for lines.
Diamond table, tighter pockets as well.
Valley 7ft tables and buckets takes fun out of it.

Agree with all of this. I didn't watch many of the matches, but of the ones I did the breaker ran out almost every time (with little difficultly or strategy) provided he made a ball on the break. Atlarge says it was 80 percent run out chance for breakers who made a ball. I would bet changing the open table rule would lead to some defensive play occasionally.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
and never forget the thunderous roar after winning the tournament. im sure this is encouraged by predator

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Atlarge says it was 80 percent run out chance for breakers who made a ball. I would bet changing the open table rule would lead to some defensive play occasionally.
79% B&R on successful breaks for the guys who won the matches. 61% for the match losers. 73% overall on successful breaks. [This is for just the matches I watched.] The 73% figure dropped to 67% for runouts after all breaks, successful or not. Pretty amazing.

As for the frequency of defensive play with an open table after the break versus with take what you make or take what you make more of, it's pretty low either way with top pros. The only 8-Ball event I can quickly find where the percentage of games with safeties even got into the 20s was Appleton's 4th 8-Ball event, where it was 23% with take what you make more of, but also the requirement of breaking from outside a 2-diamonds-wide central box. That resulted in just 37% successful breaks and 16% B&Rs.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Yes, eight ball is a much better game on a bar box. It is actually a little boring on a nine-footer as so few racks have any tactics at all. As we found out in 2020, when all the pro events were players playing the ghost, nothing is more boring than pool without defense and tactical play.

I think it's great that the World 8-ball is back, but I would not welcome more big-table eight ball. The game is just too easy for the world's best.

Still, props to our generous event producers. The re-emergence of this event is wonderful.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most 9 ball runouts are execution games that are truly brainless for pros with typical patterns that any half-competent league player can predict. At least we get to see them negotiate problems and weigh options when they run out an 8-ball rack. Not to mention that the end of an 8-ball rack is the most interesting and dangerous part of the whole process, unlike 9-ball which is a formality for pros when there are 3-4 balls left.

I'm shocked that people are minimizing the difficulty of what the players showed us this week.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most 9 ball runouts are execution games that are truly brainless for pros with typical patterns that any half-competent league player can predict. At least we get to see them negotiate problems and weigh options when they run out an 8-ball rack. Not to mention that the end of an 8-ball rack is the most interesting and dangerous part of the whole process, unlike 9-ball which is a formality for pros when there are 3-4 balls left.

I'm shocked that people are minimizing the difficulty of what the players showed us this week.
It definitely isn’t easy and I have great respect for their ability level.

I was just saying that they usually face more complicated layouts on a bar table for 8 ball and it makes it more entertaining for spectators