Preferred method to ship cues

Jerry Yost

NO MORE CTE
Silver Member
I'm considering buying a cue online and was wondering what was the preferred method of shipping to avoid possible warping / damage. Would you avoid shipping during a particular time of year because of heat / humidity?

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jerry Yost said:
I'm considering buying a cue online and was wondering what was the preferred method of shipping to avoid possible warping / damage. Would you avoid shipping during a particular time of year because of heat / humidity?
Pack it real well. Ship next day or second day air and ship at the first of the week so it does not get held over a weekend.
Chris
www.hightowercues.com
www.internationalcuemakers.com

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
cueman said:
Pack it real well. Ship next day or second day air and ship at the first of the week so it does not get held over a weekend.
Chris
www.hightowercues.com
www.internationalcuemakers.com

Yes and I prefer USPS Priority (second day) . It's economical and I've never had a real problem with them in over 15 years. Can't say the same with FedEx or UPS. I've used them much less, only when the customer insists or it's something I'm receiving from a customer or vendor, but I've had several problems with them over the same period.

I had one instance where I sold a Southwest cue that I'd taken in trade on one of my cues, to a collector in Iowa. He insisted on overnight UPS with extra insurance. At the time there were no UPS places convenient to drop off packages except one of those "Mailbox's Inc" places. With their comissions it cost almost $80 to ship that cue and it was still a couple of days late. I left the "Mailboxes Inc" place and went to the post office and sent a cue to Tennessee using the Priority Second day guaranteed. This cue was only a $400 cue and had less insurance, but the shipping was about $6 and it was there the next day! More bang for the buck! JMHO

just more hot air!

Sherm

ScottR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also use USPS Priority when I can, and have not had any problems. UPS and FedEx have had issues with cue shipments to/from me. As stated above, good water-resistant packaging, in a hard case (if possible), sent the first of the week, and minimizing the amount of time it is in their hands are the keys.

If it is not easily replaced, I can't stress enough the need for shipping in a hard tube case. I received one cue that looked as though the big brown truck had run over it, but the little 1x2 hard case fully protected it. WHEW!!

masonh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like USPS Express.It is overnight to most areas and overnight everywhere if the other party can pick it up at the post office.It is called post office to post office service i think.It is a little more than Priority but quicker and free insurance for $500.

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
masonh said:
I like USPS Express.It is overnight to most areas and overnight everywhere if the other party can pick it up at the post office.It is called post office to post office service i think.It is a little more than Priority but quicker and free insurance for $500.

I sometimes use the USPS Express, if it has to be there the next day, but have found that the Priority is usually just as fast at about 1/3rd the cost. Let's face it they don't run separate airplanes for the different classes of mail. I had a postal employee tell me in their opinion it was a waste of money to go with the Express. In actuality the main difference is the guarantee that it will get there over night if they receive it by a certain time (2:30pm I believe) where they guarantee Priority in 2-3 days, but I was told they usually get the same treatment and arrive at the same time. Besides the guarantee is only that they would refund the cost of shipping if it's late. Another great thing about using both the USPS Priority and Express mail to ship cues is that you can order great shipping containers from them on-line, free of charge, delivered to your door! I order a couple of boxes of 10 containers at a time and they even will send you free tape! All you need is some packing material if you plan in advance and order the supplies from the USPS sight. You can sometimes get the containers one at a time at your post offices, but they are often not available there.

just more hot air!

Sherm

Mike Templeton

Confidence........
Silver Member
Jerry Yost said:
I just had a cue shipped from SC last Thursday to Chattanooga by USPS Priority and I'm still waiting on it. I have the tracking and insurance #, but the Post Office says that I have to wait 13 days before I can talk to them about filing a claim. Of course I asked them where in the US does it take a piece of mail 13 days to be delivered.

The Post Office has no way to track a package like UPS does, and I have never had a problem with UPS. I think that if you are having a cue shipped to a residential address in the boonies, you might think about the Post Office. If you are having a cue shipped to a business (I get my cues shipped to my work), then UPS is the only way to go.

Mike

bob griffin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
madison bob

Mike Templeton said:
I just had a cue shipped from SC last Thursday to Chattanooga by USPS Priority and I'm still waiting on it. I have the tracking and insurance #, but the Post Office says that I have to wait 13 days before I can talk to them about filing a claim. Of course I asked them where in the US does it take a piece of mail 13 days to be delivered.

The Post Office has no way to track a package like UPS does, and I have never had a problem with UPS. I think that if you are having a cue shipped to a residential address in the boonies, you might think about the Post Office. If you are having a cue shipped to a business (I get my cues shipped to my work), then UPS is the only way to go.

Mike

i had the same problem a customer send me a old titlis for a conversion and it got lost usps and it took three weeks to find it and when it got here it looked as if it had been run over by the truck . he did not ins. it and the cue was broke into right in the point area what a shame! but i would say ups is what i have had the best results with and when i pack one i like to rap it in alot of paper towells shafts and butt then all together and slip in a couple of moisture packets and that seems to work out most of the time. however your at the carriers mersy no matter what you do to protect yourself and the customer. MADISON BOB CUSTOM CUES

PS. one thing to remember in rule areas if usps pulls up and beep the horn and you don,t show then they send it back to the sender i have had to run to the post office 20 miles away to pick up a package before they send it back because i was,nt home when they tryed to deliver what a pain :confused:

Last edited:

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
You take your chances with all shipping companies. They ALL lose and damage packages. I like FedEx, they are very fast, and keep very detailed tracking. They are also very easy to work with, should you ever have to collect due to damage or loss on an insured package. (unlike the post office)
Next day air is best, but expensive. Second day air is affordable and still very fast.