Price gouging because of SBE

Is price gouging by a pool hall near SBE good practice?

• Price gouging is great because room owners deserve all the profits they can get

Votes: 43 54.4%
  • Price gouging sucks and only greedy pool room owners do this

Votes: 36 45.6%

• Total voters

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
What do you guys think about local billiards establishments close to the expo, jacking up their prices on things as a result of the expo being in town.

From food items to table time, etc etc.

Do you agree with this practice or not?

sfvpool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Price gouging"

I think it is good and natural.

Think of it this way:

Let's say you are one of only 10 people in a city that had a certain skill. If all of the sudden there was a huge demand for your services, wouldn't you charge the most you could? Or, would you keep your charge the same as it would be if you had trouble finding work?

Same issue. There are a limited number of pool halls in an area and they can charge whatever they think they can get. People aren't being forced to pay their price and the pool halls shouldn't be forced to pay what people "feel" is a "fair" price. Additionally, their increased price will ensure that those who value their service the most will obtain it.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If there was always a wait list then jacking up the price on table time 20% id say was reasonable.

The food and drink hikes i cant go along with. Just my sense of it.

mr8ball

I don't like it but it seems to be the norm where ever or what ever we do anymore. I think it should be a law against it. JMO

msubilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most of the guys are from out of town and probably won't notice. However, you do run the risk of pissing off your regular customers.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Funny, not a single post about the local hotels raising their rates for the convention. Prices were up to $30 a night from when I booked last July. I guess its fine for hotels, but not people who are passionate about pool like Allen and Ed? Why are we trying to hold pool business owners to a different standard?

Last edited:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
In theory capitalism is self correcting. There's no moral value on prices (except for things that people can't live without). If they price things too high, the customer finds alternatives. Or if the customer feels slighted he takes future business elsewhere once "tourist season" dies down.

If the higher prices work, then it was a good call by the business owner.

Personally I wouldn't do it if I could afford not to jack prices up. Not because I feel it's wrong exactly... But because I don't want to give people a bad impression or make them resent me.

Posted from Azbilliards.com App for Android

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is typical of tourism economics. In areas geared toward tourism it is common. In fact, it can be much "worse". In areas not specifically geared toward tourism it is still done during "rush" times when there is some local event that attracts visitors.

Example, here in Florida state residents get discounts at Disney World.

Another example here...prices go up in Daytona during Bike Week and during the 500.

I am not saying whether it's right or wrong, but it is certainly common, and a typical part of tourism economics.

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Right now I'm making no money with my zombie killing skills, but when the zombie apocalypse hits my prices are gonna SKYROCKET!

It is supply and demand. :)

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Supply and demand.

If we can make it illegal for a pool hall to raise prices during heavy demand, how about passing a law that all able-bodied adults must play pool at least one hour each week at $7 per hour.

If you're going to dictate price you've got to dictate supply and demand.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do you guys think about local billiards establishments close to the expo, jacking up their prices on things as a result of the expo being in town.

From food items to table time, etc etc.

Do you agree with this practice or not?

This happens small time and big time. Local tournaments jack up beer and food prices. Big events have rooms that normally go for $49 a night going for $100 during a national tournament.

It is what it is and you just have to do what yo have to do to protect your interests.

Lou Figueroa

RobertaAgnor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't agree with it at all. I was vice president of a sports memorabilia company for about 11 years until they went bankrupt. I remember when Earnhardt died, the very next morning everyone except for us had jacked up prices to ridiculous amounts. I just couldn't justify making a profit like that off someone's tragedy. I realize that's not the same thing the OP is talking about but that's the main reason I don't agree with it in any instance.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Most of the year when I'm in Vegas, the local room I play in has an all day rate and /or a seniors rate available. Except of course when the BCAPL, VNEA or APA tournaments are in town. Then it's regular per hour rate. Do I complain? It's their choice. Does business go down? Only the owner knows for sure. If you don't like the price, go somewhere else!

Lyn

phade

I am one with my cue
Silver Member
Here's my 2 cents.. I know how much things should be, and if there is an event and things are a little higher, then I'm cool. But when I see it triple the price. Then either I say something or just don't give them my business.... It's that simple. Dom

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I cant say it sucks or its great... Something I have just come to expect. I cant blame them.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
Hotels are more expensive on the weekends.
Airfare goes up in the summer.

These are not instances of "price gouging".
Neither is a poolroom raising their rates when an event is in town.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_gouging

Price gouging is a pejorative term referring to a situation in which a seller prices goods or commodities much higher than is considered reasonable or fair. This rapid increase in prices occurs after a demand or supply shock: examples include price increases after hurricanes or other natural disasters. In precise, legal usage, it is the name of a crime that applies in some of the United States during civil emergencies.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
Agreed......the term "gouging" should not even be in this thread.

I also find it funny so many people voted they owners are greedy to do this......yet I'm sure these are the same people who complain too many pool halls are going out of business......

It's the same logic that demands cheap consumer goods then complains that manufacturing jobs are going to countries with dirt-cheap labor.