Prime tips with CA

OneIron

On the snap, Vinny!
Silver Member
There was a thread a while back about priming tips with thin CA before installation. Just wanted to report back that I'm now using this procedure on all of my tip installs and it works very well. Thanks, guys...

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sides?

I missed the thread. I didn't search. sorry. Is this where the tip has super glued sides to prevent mushrooming?

OneIron

On the snap, Vinny!
Silver Member
I missed the thread. I didn't search. sorry. Is this where the tip has super glued sides to prevent mushrooming?

After sanding, apply a coat of thin CA to the glue side and remove the excess. This will dry fairly quickly. Then lightly sand the glue side again. Then install the tip using CA Gel. For some reason, I was having a bonding issue with a new batch of Morri III's. This solved that problem. I'm now using it on all tips.

phread59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OneIron, that is a good idea. The thin will wick deeper into the leather of the tip than gel will. And CA is a curious substance. It is a solvent for itself. So the gel will actually dissolve some of the thin and make a good chemical bond with it. That's why it works so well. The thin gets deep into the tip. The gel makes a great bond with the ferrule. You win! I hope I made that easy to understand.

Mark Shuman

PS: The thin is very brittle, and gel is not nearly as brittle.

OneIron

On the snap, Vinny!
Silver Member
OneIron, that is a good idea. The thin will wick deeper into the leather of the tip than gel will. And CA is a curious substance. It is a solvent for itself. So the gel will actually dissolve some of the thin and make a good chemical bond with it. That's why it works so well. The thin gets deep into the tip. The gel makes a great bond with the ferrule. You win! I hope I made that easy to understand.

Mark Shuman

PS: The thin is very brittle, and gel is not nearly as brittle.

I wasn't exactly sure why it worked, just that it did. Thanks for the explanation and thanks to the prior posters that suggested this method.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I once used thin cyanoacrylate on a porous ElkMaster tip that turned into a wick and it turned hard. After a few break shots, the tip started to crack and chip apart. The gel is better.

OneIron

On the snap, Vinny!
Silver Member
I once used thin cyanoacrylate on a porous ElkMaster tip that turned into a wick and it turned hard. After a few break shots, the tip started to crack and chip apart. The gel is better.

Haven't tried it on an ElkMaster yet but I've installed several LePro's with this method. Seemed to work well. Not a big fan of ElkMaster but some of my customers insist. Thanks for the heads up!