Pro players' "other" jobs

dnixon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here’s a few jobs. Without naming names. Window salesman dog walker pool room owners House pros table mechanics those are some of the other jobs that I know of from some of the pros that I know

Geosnookery

Having a job is what keeps most pro snooker players in the game. The bottom half of the 128 ranking players aren’t making a decent salary at billiards.

The big variable that’s different from North America is the size of the United Kingdom. A player can work his job, whatever it is, and still drive or take the train to most tournaments. There isn’t the onerous task and expense of flying 3000 kms across the country just to be beaten out in the first round. In the UK a losing player can curse, hop in the car and be at work at 8am the next day.

There’s a couple tournaments outside the UK but these are set in stone ( non Covid times) and players can plan the week at least a year in advance. There’s also promo support for low ranked players so they can attend.

I wouldn’t trade our large geography in North America but it’s a pain when trying to organize any event.

DieselPete

Having a job is what keeps most pro snooker players in the game. The bottom half of the 128 ranking players aren’t making a decent salary at billiards.

The big variable that’s different from North America is the size of the United Kingdom. A player can work his job, whatever it is, and still drive or take the train to most tournaments. There isn’t the onerous task and expense of flying 3000 kms across the country just to be beaten out in the first round. In the UK a losing player can curse, hop in the car and be at work at 8am the next day.

There’s a couple tournaments outside the UK but these are set in stone ( non Covid times) and players can plan the week at least a year in advance. There’s also promo support for low ranked players so they can attend.

I wouldn’t trade our large geography in North America but it’s a pain when trying to organize any event.
Great point.

And I'm sure that this applies, at least somewhat, to many other countries that are smaller geographically, particularly if they tend to have the population of people (including the population of pool players) narrowly located in one major city, which would allow (or require?) them to consistently practice and play each other in tournaments.

gwynstaton

Weenie Beanie has been dead for decades. His hot dogs stands are also long gone. That said, they provided him with a constant source of gambling revenue, and he got to be a quite decent player gambling with the other greats. He was one of nicest gentlemen I ever met.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Hi Scott . I'm Gwyn Staton, aka Gweenie Beenie growing up, Weenie Beenie's daughter, and we have kept the first Weenie Beenie alive since 1950. The original in Shirlington Va. is still there and I visit when I'm in the DC area. In addition, David Grohl of the Foo Fighters/ Nirvana loves the Weernie Beenie and memorialized it in his song, "Weenie Beenie". A second Weenie Beenie is in Alexandria Va., but is now a pizza place on King Street, The rest were sold. There were 6. And my dad hasn't been dead for decades. It seems like not much time but it is 15 years ago due to medical malpractice, so he should have been gambling with you all a lot longer! We miss him very much. Thanks for remembering him.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Scott . I'm Gwyn Staton, aka Gweenie Beenie growing up, Weenie Beenie's daughter, and we have kept the first Weenie Beenie alive since 1950. The original in Shirlington Va. is still there and I visit when I'm in the DC area. In addition, David Grohl of the Foo Fighters/ Nirvana loves the Weernie Beenie and memorialized it in his song, "Weenie Beenie". A second Weenie Beenie is in Alexandria Va., but is now a pizza place on King Street, The rest were sold. There were 6. And my dad hasn't been dead for decades. It seems like not much time but it is 15 years ago due to medical malpractice, so he should have been gambling with you all a lot longer! We miss him very much. Thanks for remembering him.
Thanks for correcting me "Gweenie Beenie"! LOL Gosh, has it only been 15 years? Seems like forever. Your dad really loved pool, and proved you could play well, and still conduct yourself like a gentleman. There were plenty of lowlifes around back then, but Bill certainly didn't hang much with them. He always joked that the poolroom was open 24/7 because he lost the key! I saw some really great pool in there! I will definitely have to go have a hot dog in Shirlington the next time I'm around DC! Thanks for the history lesson, and God Bless your dad!

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year