Pro Pool Players Can't Make A Living!

Banks

Banned
Have each league system charge a dollar for each member per season to go towards a pro fund. Raise a cold million. Have 20 tournaments with 50k added. Publicize the Calcutta and how it works. Make gambling the appeal. Eh longshot.

While we're at it, we can have little leaguers pay for MLB and tack an extra buck onto pokemon cards for the pokerstars tour.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Have each league system charge a dollar for each member per season to go towards a pro fund. Raise a cold million. Have 20 tournaments with 50k added. Publicize the Calcutta and how it works. Make gambling the appeal. Eh longshot.

Wasn't that one of the original ideas with the USAPL? Thought that league was going to help create a pro players travel fund with $1 per week per player. Or something like that. Remember, I'm old and my memory is questionable :eek: .

Lyn

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool needs to go down the road darts has taken over the past 10 years. Its a party sport, and the atmosphere should resemble that. Its played by people in the public in bars and pubs so they need to cater to these people when setting up a tournament. They don't want to watch a match in silence line they do in snooker, they want to be rowdy, have a few beers and a lot of laughs. Just like they do in darts. They need big competitions to have bars on hand, get the players to fist pump the crowd, interact with them and stop being so miserable and glum looking. If the crowds start coming, if only to have a good time and a few drinks then the sponsors, in particular the booze and betting sponsors will eventually come and they have the big money to get it aired. Don't try turning pool into something its not.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool needs to go down the road darts has taken over the past 10 years. Its a party sport, and the atmosphere should resemble that. Its played by people in the public in bars and pubs so they need to cater to these people when setting up a tournament. They don't want to watch a match in silence line they do in snooker, they want to be rowdy, have a few beers and a lot of laughs. Just like they do in darts. They need big competitions to have bars on hand, get the players to fist pump the crowd, interact with them and stop being so miserable and glum looking. If the crowds start coming, if only to have a good time and a few drinks then the sponsors, in particular the booze and betting sponsors will eventually come and they have the big money to get it aired. Don't try turning pool into something its not.

The WPBA tried the fist pumps, high fives, smoke etc. A few embarrassed players was the only result noted.

Banks

Banned
Pool in America is basically bar pool compared to the rest of the world.

Most of the rest of the world subsidizes their pool tours/tournaments. Pool in the US is so splintered that not even the pros could agree on what to do. Most of the answers are people asking for hand-outs, "just because."

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pool players have been supplementing their income by stopping over to my place
for many years now
why should i care if they make money elsewhere too

to be honest,i think the tournaments are boring
i always wonder why anyone would watch them play

no offense but i have been at a few of the tournaments and seldom watch a match

the truth is that very few people care one way or another about professional pool
this may not be what you are looking for but i have spent hours at these tournaments with great players and announcers and none of us cared to watch a single match

i would never sponsor anything to do with it,and apparently neither will most potential corporate sponsors

Last edited:

00john

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play league pool and tournament pool. If I have watched a good match online I share it with others. My tournament playing friends have seen it, My league buds havent. Serious players enjoy the beauty, skill and subtle nuance of poking balls with sticks. The casual player and general public have no such appreciation because they cant recognize what is happening. How can you sell to people who arent capable of comprehending the product?

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pool players have been supplementing their income by stopping over to my place
for many years now
why should i care if they make money elsewhere too

to be honest,i think the tournaments are boring
i always wonder why anyone would watch them play

no offense but i have been at a few of the tournaments and seldom watch a match

the truth is that very few people care one way or another about professional pool
this may not be what you are looking for but i have spent hours at these tournaments with great players and announcers and none of us cared to watch a single match

i would never sponsor anything to do with it,and apparently neither will most potential corporate sponsors

Have you been to an NBA basketball game lately? If not, watch one on tv and look at the crowd. Half get there late, most leave early. And many sit and talk and text not even watching the game. It's a social event.
I go to many tournaments and always try to focus on the playing because it's my way of learning, but I understand why others can sit and talk and socialize. Not everyone goes for the same reason. But if everyone going Sat with eyes glued to the players and table that would not be the reason corporations would toss money into the sport.

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play league pool and tournament pool. If I have watched a good match online I share it with others. My tournament playing friends have seen it, My league buds havent. Serious players enjoy the beauty, skill and subtle nuance of poking balls with sticks. The casual player and general public have no such appreciation because they cant recognize what is happening. How can you sell to people who arent capable of comprehending the product?

Quality commentary.

sciarco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool

I enjoy playing pool but I find watching it is boring when you get slow players I agree with Strickland get rid of jump cues takes the skill from the game and only a 30 second shot clock no extension pro players should know what to shoot next without taking forever people get bored with slow players I love watching Drago and Strickland their quick on the shot and keep you interested this is only part of the reason I think.