Pro skills amateur thoughts....

jcpoolgod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do the same thing every time. Don't worry about "focusing", just do the same thing every time and you will automatically focus and make less mistakes over time. Have a very good pre-shot routine, stance, stroke - all fundamentals rock solid. It'll make much less difference in how you play when you're tired, nervous, etc and you'll dog less shots. Self-talk is important too, read some books on mental game for different sports (not just pool). It's a journey and will take time, after years of playing I've only really started working hard on this recently and it's an eye opener to say the least.

awesome..thanks for your help...

I have read a few books on the mental side of things..
A mind for pool
Pleasures of small motions..
In the Zone(not a pool book)
The inner game of tennis
Golf is not a game of perfect
Talent is overrated

Any other ones you can think of that i should check out??

jcpoolgod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me, pre-shot means PRE-shot.

There are 3 phases ... pre-shot, shot, post-shot.

I would not extend a PSR any further than pre-shot. That's just me.

I explain the elements of an effective Preshot routine in that video ...

I am sure that we can break down the elements of an effective routine for DURING the shot as well as after the shot - but for me - just for me - that goes a bit too far ... but that doesn't mean that it wouldn't work for somebody else.

The thing about pre-shot routines - is that everybody can be different ... we do different things - we do things in different ways ... the most important thing is to be consistent. For most of us to be consistent - we need to keep things as simple as possible - that way it is easy to to remember and easy for your PSR to become your new good habit.

ok cool...i want to create an extremely complicated version and a simplified version of the same thing..like a perfectly choreographed dance that i can rely on when things get tough

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
your missing the point...instead of attacking me(who you dont know) offer me some solutions to proper thinking.....why did you even post on this?

Unfortunately this is internet, people post whatever they want.

On the subject, I've read Inner Game of Tennis a couple of times and there are many elements within sports psychology which can be applied in pool. Highly recommended!

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
ok cool...i want to create an extremely complicated version and a simplified version of the same thing..like a perfectly choreographed dance that i can rely on when things get tough

Great idea - just be careful of that word "PERFECT" ... it can get you into trouble. The words I like to use are EFFECTIVE and EFFICIENT. If you need assistance with anything, don't hesitate to give me a call.

jcpoolgod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great idea - just be careful of that word "PERFECT" ... it can get you into trouble. The words I like to use are EFFECTIVE and EFFICIENT. If you need assistance with anything, don't hesitate to give me a call.

thanks can you send me a link to your audio book...I like all of your stuff I am going to buy it

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No offense but I love the guys who with a military precise preshot routine shoot the ball into the rail. I look at goid pool playing as more of a performance. Once you know what to do you just let it out. Your unconscious mind performs much better than you can with conscious effort. Like a musician who just plays...he just executes what he knows.

There is practice mode and competition. 2 different worlds.

How many times you chalk or which foot you step with first aren't going to make you a better player. You need to challenge yourself with a series of goals. It's not a straight line from one level to another. You have to push through the slumps, break a lot of bad habits, to advance.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No offense but I love the guys who with a military precise preshot routine shoot the ball into the rail. I look at goid pool playing as more of a performance. Once you know what to do you just let it out. Your unconscious mind performs much better than you can with conscious effort. Like a musician who just plays...he just executes what he knows.

How many times you chalk or which foot you step with first aren't going to make you a better player. You need to challenge yourself with a series of goals. It's not a straight line from one level to another. You have to push through the slumps, break a lot of bad habits, to advance.

I agree with you on pushing through but once you can make shots and put whitey where you want him, it becomes the mental game that holds you back from improving and PSR is about as close as you will come to a cure all for the mental part of this game. When incorporated correctly PSR is done unconsciously.

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member

No offense but I love guys who play great & ignore tips like this that will improve their consistency & they break a ton & run to the 7 effortlessly & then let their pace get out of control & dog the 7 & I get out. Love you guys

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with you on pushing through but once you can make shots and put whitey where you want him, it becomes the mental game that holds you back from improving and PSR is about as close as you will come to a cure all for the mental part of this game. When incorporated correctly PSR is done unconsciously.

Nah...when a lot to great players play their best sets they don't even remember the patterns. Everybody has their style of play from Souquet to Strickland.

I think for an APA 4 to 6 to work on how he's gonna chalk is nonsense. There are so many things he could be working on that are so much more important.

The days of missing a ball because I'm thinking about getting to the next ball are in the past. Plan when you are standing and shoot when down. The game isn't as complicated as people want to make it.

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No offense but I love guys who play great & ignore tips like this that will improve their consistency & they break a ton & run to the 7 effortlessly & then let their pace get out of control & dog the 7 & I get out. Love you guys

That isn't me....I run out like water son. You guys keep counting your chalk swipes and I'll stick to counting your money...if you'd like to wager.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"The days of missing a ball because I'm thinking about getting to the next ball are in the past. Plan when you are standing and shoot when down.

This is called a PSR.