Promoting pro pool pros and cons, I need your opinions.

jay helfert said:
"Claims" is the operative word here. I DO trust YOU!
Jay, I have a vision of you that keeps flashing in my mind when I think of you. It is still making me laugh, I think you may know what I am thinking.
 
bfdlad said:
Jay, I have a vision of you that keeps flashing in my mind when I think of you. It is still making me laugh, I think you may know what I am thinking.

HMMMMMM, I just hope it isn't X rated. :)
 
jay helfert said:
"Claims" is the operative word here. I DO trust YOU!

We are on the same page here. I have just quit arguing about it with the powers to be.
 
Last edited:
bfdlad said:
A little I guess. I actually began to close the curtains so nobody would see what you were doing. :)

Hope it has nothing to do with his favorite NY Ball Club??
 
ironman said:
Hope it has nothing to do with his favorite NY Ball Club??
No this time, I think he knows what I am talking about it was just a funny thing that may not be that funny except to me.
 
bfdlad said:
No this time, I think he knows what I am talking about it was just a funny thing that may not be that funny except to me.

It was the most twisted guess I could come up with.
 
bfdlad said:
I'm not talking about starting a new regional tour or to even compete with the UPA. I'm thinking about events like the World Summit Of Pool that has been held in Vegas etc. Put those events that at this point are not going to take place at the Riviera and put them in pool rooms. I know it is not flashy and not the best condition but at least it will take place.

Hey Mark,

This issue is a very big can of worms and, as I'm sure you know, has been discussed ad nauseam. But I do have some input from a player perspective. BTW, next time you see me, please introduce yourself.

There have been a couple of posts already by Jay Helfert and ironman that really address some of the main concerns with promoting the type of event you are talking about. If we are talking about a singular "pro" type or regional event, the promoter of this type of event will probably take a hit financially in the beginning while many of the kinks are worked out. But much of the success of this type of event can hinge on the advertisement of the event prior to the event itself. I can't tell you how many times that I've heard about a tournament after it happened and told myself - "if I only knew about it, I would have played in it".

Where this is most important is advertising to poolrooms in neighbooring states/regions. There is a tremendous potential to bring in more players (and indirectly more attention from potential sponsors and promoters) if events are "broadcast" more widely to larger regions. An example that comes to mind is a tournamnet that is held every Labor Day weekend at Shooters in Riverside, Ca. Until about 2 years ago, I never knew this tourmament existed. I only found out about it through local players that had gone to it in prior years. Now for those that live in California, most players probably already know about this tournament, but for players in adjacent states/regions it's difficult to know of these types of tournaments. And this particular Labor Day weekend tournament is a very good caliber tournament.

Of course, advertisement is just one aspect. But I believe it is an important one. If you want the type of event you are talking about (something like the World Summit of Pool) to be successful, then word of mouth and internet forums will probably not be sufficient.

Now finding a reputable host pool room to accomadate such an event is also a difficult task itself. But I think it can be done. As Jay mentioned, the pool room has many avenues to recover costs through door entry, food and beverage sales, and of course the exposure that this type of event will generate for the room (resulting in higher business in the following weeks). I don't believe that this will be the biggest challenge.

I believe the biggest challenge will be bankrolling the added monies. And since I'm not a promoter, I can't speak to this issue very well. But there are many others here on AZB as well as in the pool world that I'm sure you could talk with to find a workable formula for a successful event.

In terms of playing conditions, it won't take much to get players to come to the event other than a good sum of money added (1K, 2K, 3K, or more) and reasonably decent playing conditions. Obviously, the higher amount added, the more likely you will attract a more elite field. I like the idea of having a consistent set of pool balls and rack for every table just for that tournament. It's also nice when the players and spectator afreas are sectioned off. It can add a sense of a "pro" type atmosphere or even just a high caliber event that people will want to be a part of, either as spectators or players. And, it would be nice if the playing tables would be all in relatively good shape (i.e. decent cloth, good rails, does not roll off, etc...).

That's about all I can think of for now, but if I think anything else, I'll post it. Good luck.

Ray
 
Last edited:
Back
Top