Pros helping other pros

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
Do professional pool players help out fellow players when they notice they are doing something wrong?

I was just reading about Hallberg, a senior tour golfer who won a quarter million last week after another pro golfer, Nick Price came up to him and gave him a putting lesson. Tiger has done the same thing with guys like Stricker and Sean O'Hair. Price would of won 14 grand more last week if Hallberg finished behind him instead of winning the event.

I remember Jay Helfert saying Tang Hoa started playing again and wasn't shooting his best, and then either Eberle or Hemmah lined up his body better and Tang started rifling balls in much better.

Is it a normal thing to help other players, or is pool so broke that players stay quiet in case it costs them money later?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe it was Blomdahl that said it, "...one artist cannot tell another how to paint."

If the person has achieved pro level, then they are doing it right, more or less.

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member
Generally I'd say...no. However, I did witness Archer,Strickland and Allison playing against each other one night and on a few shots "comparing notes" on how they would have played the particular shot. Also with the Mosconi team if a player is having some trouble the team mates will give suggestions/observations.

Wybrook

A. Wheeler
Silver Member
Depends on who you are.... I have helped many people, some of them pros...

Last year, I helped Cory with an issue he was having with his draw stroke... Its not a big deal and I like it because it makes others better, which increases the overall talent pool.

People who won't help others are lacking in their own game and afraid of competition. I love competition and enjoy playing good, solid players. it only makes me try harder. I get soft constantly playing weaker players.

UrackmIcrackm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it a normal thing to help other players, or is pool so broke that players stay quiet in case it costs them money later?

Hillbilly has been known to be quite generous to other pro players with info. I think a large majority will share when they learn something new or see someone struggling with a particular shot or fundamental.

There are some that won't share. There is a mentality of "I'm not going to share my info with you so that you can beat me with it". I've heard a few say that but I don't think they're the majority.

I also think the tournament players are more giving of info than the gambling (pro level) players.

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have covered many events with Pro's present and have even traveled to a few events with some of them.

Most Pro's WILL discuss things about the game with others if they like them. Compare notes etc.

On a side note, there are many really great guys and gals that play Pro Pool. We should support and encourage them every way we can.

Ray

Melissa Herndon

Pro Player
Silver Member
Speaking from experience...I have never really witnessed a pro giving another lessons on fundamentals...stance, stroke, alignment, etc. I am sure it has happened...but not common.

That being said, pros share a lot of knowledge about the game with one another...or at least that has been my experience. Aiming systems, kicking and banking methods, etc...I've seen a pro helping another one with their jumping.

So...using a putting analogy...I think it's more like pros sharing about how to read greens as opposed to helping with the physical putting stroke.

Melissa

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
Do professional pool players help out fellow players when they notice they are doing something wrong?

I was just reading about Hallberg, a senior tour golfer who won a quarter million last week after another pro golfer, Nick Price came up to him and gave him a putting lesson. Tiger has done the same thing with guys like Stricker and Sean O'Hair. Price would of won 14 grand more last week if Hallberg finished behind him instead of winning the event.

I remember Jay Helfert saying Tang Hoa started playing again and wasn't shooting his best, and then either Eberle or Hemmah lined up his body better and Tang started rifling balls in much better.

Tang and Dave are good friends. They probably were helping each other out as friends rather than fellow pros.

Generally speaking, unless 2 pros are pretty good friends with eachother, they probably wont share information.

upstateAL

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Guess What

I know Kelly has a real good stroke, but i don't think she wants to share. its like a nightmare remember keith from the movie he has a great stroke too. all about pool :thumbup:

macneilb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends on who you are.... I have helped many people, some of them pros...

Last year, I helped Cory with an issue he was having with his draw stroke... Its not a big deal and I like it because it makes others better, which increases the overall talent pool.

People who won't help others are lacking in their own game and afraid of competition. I love competition and enjoy playing good, solid players. it only makes me try harder. I get soft constantly playing weaker players.

Just out of curiosity... how exactly did you help Corey with his draw stroke? He has a pretty solid one - both accurately drawing and power drawing the hell out of the ball... Just curious. Cheers