Push Out

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I cut my 9 Ball teeth playing Push Out. Frankly, I liked the game and was disappointed as I watched it disappear. When I questioned the reason for the change, I was told that "TV demanded it" so that the game could be sped up. Of course, no one I played with was ever on TV. Also, TV has never treated pool properly. The older I get, the more certain I am that faster is not always better. Any thoughts?
Worse than push out are jump cues.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
we always played two fouls by same player. that 'take the shot,take the foul' rule was never played anywhere i ever went. now, once you accepted the shot and decided to shoot your opponents foul was gone. if you gave it back and he fouled then you got BIH.
I played in Tulsa in ‘67…never had a problem playing two fouls by the same player.
I also played Louie the Greek in Bartlesville.
They had a vague idea of world rules at snooker.
You didn’t have to hit a rail after contact…
…but if you froze to a ball you had to shoot away
but if you ou hit another ball, it was a foul.
I told him it was a bad rule but he was adamant.
Played 14 reds and it was damp on the basement of a hotel…so I kept rolling him into the pack… it was easy to freeze…he said “Okay, I see your point, let’s rerack and start over.

I’ve always preferred American snooker rules but hardly anybody would play them. And there was a lot of snooker action back then.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I preferred pool halls, but I played anywhere I found a table. If I was "going to play pool", I was headed to a pool hall. If I was out partying and there was a bar box, this was just another source of fun. The idea of playing serious pool on a bar box never crossed mind until I began playing in leagues.
In my area(Ok,Ks,Tx,Mo,Ark) 95% of pool action has always been on he bb. Still is for the most part. 1p is about only game played on 9fts for money.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played in Tulsa in ‘67…never had a problem playing two fouls by the same player.
Played 14 reds and it was damp on the basement of a hotel…so I kept rolling him into the pack… it was easy to freeze…he said “Okay, I see your point, let’s rerack and start over.

I’ve always preferred American snooker rules but hardly anybody would play them. And there was a lot of snooker action back then.
Before my time. I've never seen 9b played that way.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
In my area(Ok,Ks,Tx,Mo,Ark) 95% of pool action has always been on he bb. Still is for the most part. 1p is about only game played on 9fts for money.
WARNING: SERIOUS NOSTALGIA TRAP

Not my experience. Around here, most of the bar box action was "for a beer". At some point most of the "real" pool halls died off and a few "bar box" pool halls opened for a while. But it was a very different scene and experience. People did not hang out (never saw anything resembling a rail) and it seemed that folks came together and played together with little interaction. This transition occurred as I was going to college, starting a profession, etc., and I certainly was not paying close attention. This was also the era when everyone began smoking pot and getting high. Weed, in one way or another, seemed to change everyone and everything, so I am certain pot had a great impact on the pool world, too, but, again, I was not paying close enough attention to be able to describe exactly how.

Younger folks will never know what they missed (and I certainly did not get as much as I wanted or needed) as a result of the demise of classic pool halls. These establishments made pool what it was; without them pool will never be the same.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Played 14 reds and it was damp on the basement of a hotel…so I kept roll g him into the pack… it was easy to freeze…he said “Okay, I see your point, let’s rerack and start over.

I loved the snooker tables and wanted to play at least US rules. However, had I started with all of the rules of snooker I would have lost the few people I could get on a snooker table even once in awhile. I would always shoot 56 and stop too, had to give them a little air. I did make sure the cue ball went up to what I called the "poor folks" end of the table when I "missed".

Back to two foul nine ball, when I think about it, it had a lot of the elements of todays one-pocket to it. The level of thought and thinking ahead was similar. TE players of today don't seem to be planning the entire inning most of the time. More accepting what the table gives them than planning, confident they will shoot their way out of issues as they come up.

Not my experience. Around here, most of the bar box action was "for a beer". At some point most of the "real" pool halls died off and a few "bar box" pool halls opened for a while. But it was a very different scene and experience. People did not hang out (never saw anything resembling a rail) and it seemed that folks came together and played together with little interaction. This transition occurred as I was going to college, starting a profession, etc., and I certainly was not paying close attention. This was also the era when everyone began smoking pot and getting high. Weed, in one way or another, seemed to change everyone and everything, so I am certain pot had a great impact on the pool world, too, but, again, I was not paying close enough attention to be able to describe exactly how.

Younger folks will never know what they missed (and I certainly did not get as much as I wanted or needed) as a result of the demise of classic pool halls. These establishments made pool what it was; without them pool will never be the same.

A forced move away from the area means I never have been in Buffalo's new place in New Orleans enough to know if he was able to hang on to the atmosphere but the old place on Airline was a pool hall. Funky old building he had to take after Katrina, part of it was an old used tire store. A low rent neighborhood, seemingly nothing going for the place. However, Buffalo kept the place clean, the tables were Diamonds in top shape. He also had a counter that usually had a handful of older guys sitting there.

When you walked into this pool hall you knew you were in a pool hall. It had the feel. If you wanted action it was as easy as walking to the counter. "How well do you play and what do you want to play for?" You were going to be sized up in a hurry anyway and get a surprisingly fair match-up. Buffalo is the best I have seen in many a moon at rating speed, stalling is a waste of time. Of course I think he is a bit hard on me now that I am old, blind, and cripple!

I have talked about this before but back in the day I could walk into a real pool hall from Georgia to the west and southwest and be at home. Somehow they had the same feel to them. I wasn't a stranger when I strolled up to the counter either. I fit. I go into these places with pool tables today and no matter how much effort they put into it, they are rarely pool halls. They may be pretty but they are generally too bright and too antiseptic to feel like a place I want to hang. Somehow you can't fake a pool hall no matter how much effort you put into it. I miss the old pool halls. Lucky to have a place to hit balls now though.

Bars were a mixed bag where I was at. Granted I scouted for them for years but action tables for three or five a game were pretty easy to find. Some would be hustlers that would go up to twenty or fifty a game were to be found regularly in a few bars and the bar at the edge of my neighborhood had developed a pretty good gambling culture largely because I often made it my first and last stop of the night. Usually started at three or five, twenty a game was pretty common though. The bars were mostly by the game, my choice anyway. Action usually topped out at twenty a game but I played a hundred a game a few times in bars and I could find fifty a game action several times a week in a couple. The thing in bars was usually to get the owner's nose open for a nice score in the hundreds but that was burning bridges and I tried not to do that.

Funny thing, if the people will gamble for money in a bar today they still want to bet three or five dollars a game. Tradition is fine but haven't they ever heard of inflation?!?

Hu

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was thinking about it, in 85 when I started going to the pool room we played push after the break, all balls spot and BIH behind the line if you scratch on the break. Learning to shoot spot shots was key back then.

That’s all I can remember now, I need to think some more

Best
Fatboy<———kinda of a newbie in this thread.

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
We played 2 foul pushout 9 ball and Chicago/15 ball rotation, ayways by the game, pay after every hand.
The tables had rag cloth, cigarette holes, cigarette burn marks on the rails, no air conditioning.
We were all spot shot champs and had big power strokes. if you had a ball in the jaws and had to table length
draw you had to load it up. It sounded like the shot heard around the world. Good Times

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

They will never experience the true “pool halls” of the 40’s, 50’s and 60’s.