Question about APA

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play both and enjoy both. Now, this statement is actually true just to the total amount of players in each. Do the majority of APA 2,3,4 (no offense anyone here who is) know basic etiquette? Probably not (I sure didn't when I was there) but because they likely haven't been around long enough or haven't been shown what's right and wrong in this aspect.

Now, the BCA average skill (around here anyways) is higher than that of the APA. Obviously plenty of skilled and respectful players in the APA, but many aren't that. The majority are lower skill level and not aware of the etiquette. I'm not knocking them as you don't know what you don't know. And, there are guys in the BCA who do the same things. So to characterize one as superior is incorrect, IMO. From my experiences, the actual number of players who show others respect are the same-ish. Just many more APA players so it's easy to lump them all together.

Side note, a very good player who only played APA for years and years joined our BCA team a couple years ago. He was constantly doing sharking things. He didn't know what he was doing was wrong or disrespectful. Most people are happy to learn and once you show them what they're doing is wrong, they are actually very sorry and rather embarrassed.

This is pretty much the conversation I had with myself in my head, I do appreciate this. I wouldn't mind taking a second to teach someone, but how people would actually be receptive to my advice, is another thing entirely.

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Such a sad and unsocial person............. try to get yourself together............

Kim

Um, thanks. I like myself the way I am just fine. Your customer service skills must be impeccable, looking at how quick you are to judge others.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Another thing: Do they not teach basic pool room etiquette? I was on the corner table last night, completely out of the way and I can't count how many APA players disturbed me. Sorry, but I don't have that problem in BCAPL.

Does BCAPL have enough players to disturb anyone? or is it that just that they can't make it that far without their walkers? Perhaps it was your shining light of friendship that attracted them:smile::smile:

Last edited:

Banks

Banned
Does BCAPL have enough players to disturb anyone? or is it that just that they can't make it that far without their walkers? Perhaps it was your shining light of friendship that attracted them:smile::smile:

I play bca. Don't remember ever having a shot at a giant, stuffed banana. Sometimes i wonder why i even show up. :embarrassed2:

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Maybe they recognized that a better player was near them and they tried to absorb some of my superior skill and knowledge through my aura :thumbup:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another thing: Do they not teach basic pool room etiquette? I was on the corner table last night, completely out of the way and I can't count how many APA players disturbed me. Sorry, but I don't have that problem in BCAPL.

why don't you just come out and say you hate apa and their members ? that is what all your posts in this thread infer.

as for 'apa ' players disturbing you ? yea i can imagine that especially with the huge number of lower level and new members has.

and yes i have made it a point to teach any one i encounter that i see doing some thing wrong the proper way of doing things.

i normally don't resort to singling out members of any particular league when i see things go wrong in leagues. in other words if i meet a napa member who seems like an asshole i don't classify him as a napa asshole ...i just classify him as a plain ole asshole regardless of his league affiliation.

however since your post are starting to get old real quick i will make an exception here. :D

i would rather have an apa player disturb me while i was playing than have a bcapl player pull out his wanker and piss in the corner pocket during league. yes that really happened. ``

you ...and a whole slew of other people seem to lump all apa members in a certain negative way based on your encounter with one or two.

how about i lump all bcapl members pocket pissers ? fair enough ?

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
why don't you just come out and say you hate apa and their members ? that is what all your posts in this thread infer.

as for 'apa ' players disturbing you ? yea i can imagine that especially with the huge number of lower level and new members has.

and yes i have made it a point to teach any one i encounter that i see doing some thing wrong the proper way of doing things.

i normally don't resort to singling out members of any particular league when i see things go wrong in leagues. in other words if i meet a napa member who seems like an asshole i don't classify him as a napa asshole ...i just classify him as a plain ole asshole regardless of his league affiliation.

however since your post are starting to get old real quick i will make an exception here. :D

i would rather have an apa player disturb me while i was playing than have a bcapl player pull out his wanker and piss in the corner pocket during league. yes that really happened. ``

you ...and a whole slew of other people seem to lump all apa members in a certain negative way based on your encounter with one or two.

how about i lump all bcapl members pocket pissers ? fair enough ?

I'll put it to you this way. For every serious player in apa, there are 20 clueless bangers.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I'll put it to you this way. For every serious player in apa, there are 20 clueless bangers.

Probly close to the ratio of total players in each league, 1 to 20.

More players, more of everything.

APA is marketed towards beginners, to people who are out for a night of fun playing pool. Its not marketed towards serious "don't bother me" pool players. This is why it is successful.

Its also been my experience that the more experience that the APA player gets, the more he/she learns the etiquette. As with anything, there are exceptions.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probly close to the ratio of total players in each league, 1 to 20.

More players, more of everything.

APA is marketed towards beginners, to people who are out for a night of fun playing pool. Its not marketed towards serious "don't bother me" pool players. This is why it is successful.

Its also been my experience that the more experience that the APA player gets, the more he/she learns the etiquette. As with anything, there are exceptions.

no I got to disagree..the ratio is not nearly the same. because bca for example doesn't give you a handy cap it only plays well for the people that our more serious about the game. Apa's strength is you can be a banger who doesn't give a crap about pool other then to play that one night and still have a chance to win. Bca or acs doesn't give you that opportunity there for people like that don't stay in it long or play in them at all.

btw we had fun at bca .. It wasn't a don't bother me pool league lol yea they take the game more serious but all players that our good do.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA is good for pool..
I cant think of another pool organization in the USA that does a better job of recruiting new players to the game..

but again like everything there is a bad side.. handy cap will not develop good players in a league where you can't have people can't get better or your team splits up.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

well again these are many players new to the game. We all have to learn at some time. I kind of take it on myself as a guy who has been playing for 30 years to politely explain to them hows it rude to walk in front of someone when there shooting or pick up the chalk when there down on the ball or whatever the it maybe. None of us woke up knowing how to play this game or all the rules..The experienced players taught us by there actions who gives us a friendly heads up.

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't mean for this thread to devolve into an APA vs BCAPL bashing fest, apparently my way with words has served me well yet again. I do understand that not everyone knows how to conduct themselves in a pool hall and it's up to us more experienced players to help them along. I just feel like it happens way more often when it's APA night vs any other night. Last night, for example, I was able to practice in peace on the same table for 5 solid hours. The previous week I was on the table directly in front of the door, and while I know that I'm going to get ALL the traffic being in front of the door, I was doing a drill that kept me on one side of the table and left the other side open for traffic. Invariably, every league player who walked by chose to walk on the side of the table I was on. These are the types of things that I'm talking about. And when I say something about it, I'm the asshole.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I didn't mean for this thread to devolve into an APA vs BCAPL bashing fest, apparently my way with words has served me well yet again. I do understand that not everyone knows how to conduct themselves in a pool hall and it's up to us more experienced players to help them along. I just feel like it happens way more often when it's APA night vs any other night. Last night, for example, I was able to practice in peace on the same table for 5 solid hours. The previous week I was on the table directly in front of the door, and while I know that I'm going to get ALL the traffic being in front of the door, I was doing a drill that kept me on one side of the table and left the other side open for traffic. Invariably, every league player who walked by chose to walk on the side of the table I was on. These are the types of things that I'm talking about. And when I say something about it, I'm the asshole.

You're probably right that it does happen more often when it's APA night at the pool hall simply because there are more players and more people on APA night. The pool hall population expands. On nights when you can practice it's likely there are far fewer people there, on APA night the owner is selling cocktails, and pool time, making money that allows his place to stay open so you can come in a practice in relative peace on the other nights. You could get your own table, but it's a different environment, but it would afford you a place to practice without distraction or interruption, and no APA players