Question about Enduro Finish

dakota

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have built around 10 cues and I have been using a finish method where I apply a seal coat of 20min finish cure epoxy (or 2 coats) I allow this epoxy to cure for at least a couple days. Then I will continue the finish by applying multiple coats of General Finishes Enduro Var, followed by a week of final cure time before finish sanding It is a long time consuming process but the final finish turns out pretty nice.

With that said, I have had 2 players comment that they think the finish is a little sticky. They have both played with wrapless cues before, but they say that the finish almost feels like it it sweating or something. The one guy said I'm used to playing with wrapless, but said he just feels like he needs to wipe down this finish more often so it doesn't feel tacky.

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar with the water based finishes. It has me wondering even when the finish is cured if body oils and sweat will affect a water based finish more than they would like an auto finish or something different. If anyone has some ideas or feedback, please feel free to post or PM me.

Thanks,

dakota

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I have built around 10 cues and I have been using a finish method where I apply a seal coat of 20min finish cure epoxy (or 2 coats) I allow this epoxy to cure for at least a couple days. Then I will continue the finish by applying multiple coats of General Finishes Enduro Var, followed by a week of final cure time before finish sanding It is a long time consuming process but the final finish turns out pretty nice.

With that said, I have had 2 players comment that they think the finish is a little sticky. They have both played with wrapless cues before, but they say that the finish almost feels like it it sweating or something. The one guy said I'm used to playing with wrapless, but said he just feels like he needs to wipe down this finish more often so it doesn't feel tacky.

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar with the water based finishes. It has me wondering even when the finish is cured if body oils and sweat will affect a water based finish more than they would like an auto finish or something different. If anyone has some ideas or feedback, please feel free to post or PM me.

Thanks,

dakota

I used GF water born finishes and they cured rock hard and felt like most any other finish.

They are really not affected by most chemicals and sweat.

I don't know what you are doing but it shouldn't turn out as you describe. Only put on 2 coats per day, sand 24 hours later and add 2 more coats. 4 coats max. I let them cure for a week at 75 deg and then wet sanded and polished them.

Kim

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I used GF water born finishes and they cured rock hard and felt like most any other finish.

They are really not affected by most chemicals and sweat.

I don't know what you are doing but it shouldn't turn out as you describe. Only put on 2 coats per day, sand 24 hours later and add 2 more coats. 4 coats max. I let them cure for a week at 75 deg and then wet sanded and polished them.

Kim

I was going to point out the same thing - 2 coats at a time and the second applied about one hour after the first (well, the instructions say 30min - 2hrs). Applying the second coat too early or too late will not allow them to bond together. Then, in spite of what the directions say, it must cure out about 3 days before you can wetsand and buff out.

From what you said, I think you applied too many coats at once.

My 2 cents,

Gary

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I was going to point out the same thing - 2 coats at a time and the second applied about one hour after the first (well, the instructions say 30min - 2hrs). Applying the second coat too early or too late will not allow them to bond together. Then, in spite of what the directions say, it must cure out about 3 days before you can wetsand and buff out.

From what you said, I think you applied too many coats at once.

My 2 cents,

Gary

Also, if you apply it too thick, it will take on a bluish cast. I did that and it took about 2 months for it to go away. Probably was the moisture still in it.

Kim

dakota

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks GB & Whammo

I will try what you suggested. I was doing something very similar to what you mentioned, but I was probably applying 3-4 coats with only 10-20 minutes apart so that it wasn't completely setup and it would basically flow on and bond as one coat. It sounds like I might be doing too much to fast. However I think one of you mentioned only doing 4 coats max? I would seem that with how thin Enduro is that only 4 coats max would give you a really thin finish coat that might be really easy to sand through when you are doing your final sanding / wet sanding. I bet I was doing 3-4 coats dry a day, 3-4 coats, dry a day, then another 3-4 coats dry a week, and I still didn't think I had a very thick finish. I'm applying it very thin coats with a brush on a lathe.

I will try your suggestions, and I really appreciate you taking time to give me some feedback.

Thanks,

dakota

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I will try what you suggested. I was doing something very similar to what you mentioned, but I was probably applying 3-4 coats with only 10-20 minutes apart so that it wasn't completely setup and it would basically flow on and bond as one coat. It sounds like I might be doing too much to fast. However I think one of you mentioned only doing 4 coats max? I would seem that with how thin Enduro is that only 4 coats max would give you a really thin finish coat that might be really easy to sand through when you are doing your final sanding / wet sanding. I bet I was doing 3-4 coats dry a day, 3-4 coats, dry a day, then another 3-4 coats dry a week, and I still didn't think I had a very thick finish. I'm applying it very thin coats with a brush on a lathe.

I will try your suggestions, and I really appreciate you taking time to give me some feedback.

Thanks,

dakota

I too did the 3 or 4 coats in about an hour............ it was a mess and it was bluish. I had to take it off and start over........... It never hardened properly.

Learn by doing........... and spending money LOL

Kim