Question about the APA

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never played in the APA but I have a question about their events. Why do they play their events on bar tables but the US Open Amateur Championship(which I see they run unless something has changed) is played on nine foot tables?

Also, is the US Amateur championship open for anyone? Or do you have to be ranked whatever their highest ranks are?

Last edited:

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The amateur championships are open to anyone deemed a non-professional, I think you get a discount off your entry fee if you are an APA member but you don't have to be one. No you don't have to be a 7/9 to play.

ChicagoJay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never played in the APA but I have a question about their events. Why do they play their events on bar tables but the US Open Amateur Championship(which I see they run unless something has changed) is played on nine foot tables?

Also, is the US Amateur championship open for anyone? Or do you have to be ranked whatever their highest ranks are?
My experience with the APA so far has been negative They said they would have a league operator call me and they never did, then I called and complained and got a call with the head of the APA in my area and also a guy on the line just looking to fill his team spot. The league may have been ok, but I was looking to play 9 ball not 8 also I didnt want to travel to a bunch of bars in the area, I would rather play in a pool hall environment. A lot have closed down but there a still plenty out there to get some league play going.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The amateur championships are open to anyone deemed a non-professional, I think you get a discount off your entry fee if you are an APA member but you don't have to be one. No you don't have to be a 7/9 to play.

I may be wrong but I believe you have to qualify for the us amateur .....we just held a qualifying tournament this past weekend.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
It is indeed an APA event and as such you have to be an APA member. You also need to qualify to play in it.

****edit**** apparently I was quick to say you need to be an APA member. That is not the case, stated a few times below this post. Sorry....

As for 9' tables, my quick glance didn't indicate table size. I would be surprised if it were played on 9's, but ya never know.

Details here:
http://www.poolplayers.com/usam/

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My experience with the APA so far has been negative They said they would have a league operator call me and they never did, then I called and complained and got a call with the head of the APA in my area and also a guy on the line just looking to fill his team spot. The league may have been ok, but I was looking to play 9 ball not 8 also I didnt want to travel to a bunch of bars in the area, I would rather play in a pool hall environment. A lot have closed down but there a still plenty out there to get some league play going.

I guess your area has onw of those lo's that is not very active in running his league....we dont have that problem with our lo. If some calls him looking to join he gets on the phone and calls every team captain who has a spot available until he finds that person a team.

According to what I have read on here leagues are not welcome in a lot of pool halls and I guess that is why most leagues pls in bars. We did have one pool hall here that did not welcome leagues and it closed. Another pool hall welcomes leagues with open arms and is doing quite well. In fact sunday night league grew from 6 teams 4 years ago to 20 teams currently..we have more teams than bar tables available so we rotate from bar tables to 9 footers .

I believe its the only in house division we have and the rest are travel divisions that play in bars and pool halls also.

I guess every ones experience depends on their lo and what venues vater to leagues in their area.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
The national championship event is played on 9 foot tables at Strokers in Fla.

There was one preliminary event that was played on bar boxes. All of the rest of the qualifiers were at sites with 9 foot tables.

It is indeed an APA event and as such you have to be an APA member. You also need to qualify to play in it.

As for 9' tables, my quick glance didn't indicate table size. I would be surprised if it were played on 9's, but ya never know.

Details here:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
The national championship event is played on 9 foot tables at Strokers in Fla.

There was one preliminary event that was played on bar boxes. All of the rest of the qualifiers were at sites with 9 foot tables.

Cool.....almost all of our LOs territory plays on 9's, so its no big deal to us, except when our teams go to Vegas :p

The Captain

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Details here:

That is a negative! I am not an APA member in any way. In fact, I am banned from being an APA member since I own a BCA pool league. However, I have played in the last 5 US Amateurs.

Jeff Rosen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA doesn't necessarily play on bar boxes. Depends on the division. I was on an APA team in Queens where the whole division played at BQE Billiards on 9 footers. I also played in an APA division in Nassau County which played in a pool room with 9 footers but when we went to the tri cup we played on bar tables. I hate 9 ball on bar tables. You get blocked every other inning. No need to play safeties.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
That is a negative! I am not an APA member in any way. In fact, I am banned from being an APA member since I own a BCA pool league. However, I have played in the last 5 US Amateurs.

Just reading the linked sheet, never been there, don't represent APA. Sorry.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't understand why you would be banned.

The lo for Napa.league played on my handicap team and also played apa masters.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I don't understand why you would be banned.

The lo for Napa.league played on my handicap team and also played apa masters.

One of my former teammates isn't allowed to play in our division now that he has started a TAP league here....LO's decision, not national.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of my former teammates isn't allowed to play in our division now that he has started a TAP league here....LO's decision, not national.

Thankfully my apa lo.is not like that. I have to say he is a pretty cool guy ....friendly....fair....listens to your gripes and give a logical answer .....prompt in returning txts ...i could go on but you get the picture.

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
You DO NOT have to be an APA member to play in the US Amateur. They hold preliminary rounds around the 3rd week of September each year with the finals being held the first weekend of November. You must enter for the prelims between April 1st and June 15th prior to the September prelims. www.poolplayers.com Entry fees are $40 for APA members and $50 for non APA members. All of the prelims I have played on have been 9ft. tables. They will have 1 or more brackets at the prelims depending on how many entrants are at that location. You must win a bracket to advance to the finals in November.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not believe they own or run anything other than the actual APA leagues.

They are only sponsors of the others.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Then your LO is an egotistical moron.

I wasn't happy when it happened. My friend would not have been talking down re the APA in order to build his league, but simply to make it another option.

That having been said, I understand where my LO is coming from, as well. He had to pay a franchise fee for his league. It is his living, this is his job. It's not a side project like running a TAP league is. We have a small population in this state, so the target audience is small.

Would I rather have had it go differently, yes. But I won't go slamming my LO either, regarding how he is trying to maintain his business.

bigB

Registered
I have never understood the allure of the APA US Amateur Championship. Everybody who enters pays $40 or $50 to qualify, and the lucky person to win the qualifier might (that's a big might) receive travel assistance to go to Florida to play in a tournament where there is a whopping $0 payout. You literally get nothing for winning. I don't know, it just doesn't make sense to me.