Question for Instructors, have you ever said?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I know in my personal case, sometimes it take me forever to understand, grasp, or embrace an idea. Have you as an instructor, ever had a student you because so fustrated with. You said No more, find new teacher, or just reused to teach again.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in Jersey in the '80's I would give lessons for $25an hour plus table time to pick up a little spare change.
I had a guy that wanted lessons so we started with some basics.
I worked with him on simple follow and draw shots.
He could follow fair but couldn't draw the cue ball with any consistency as hard as I tried to instruct him.
After the second lesson he asked when I was going to teach him how to run a rack of 9 ball.
I told him maybe after a year of practice and lessons maybe he could.
We came to a mutual agreement to stop the lessons.
After that only players of a certain skill level would I help.
Keep in mind this was not a true source of income for me but rather to make a couple bucks and help some players out.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
I know in my personal case, sometimes it take me forever to understand, grasp, or embrace an idea. Have you as an instructor, ever had a student you because so fustrated with. You said No more, find new teacher, or just reused to teach again.
No, it's usually just rephrasing or re-demonstrating a technique in a different way. I ask what stick-and-ball games students play, there are always analogies to help, say, a good golfer or baseball player, become a strong pool player also.

Reactions: Pin

mfinkelstein3

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I never give up trying to help students understand things. The funniest thing that happened to me was I was tryiing to get a student to stay down and not jump up. I had him go to his set position and close his eyes. Then I had him pull back slow to pause. Once he was there I had him open his eyes and shoot. He made the shot and didn’t jump up, but he was pissed because I tricked him into not jumping up and he quit the lesson right there! Sometimes it isn’t the teacher!

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
I never give up trying to help students understand things. The funniest thing that happened to me was I was tryiing to get a student to stay down and not jump up. I had him go to his set position and close his eyes. Then I had him pull back slow to pause. Once he was there I had him open his eyes and shoot. He made the shot and didn’t jump up, but he was pissed because I tricked him into not jumping up and he quit the lesson right there! Sometimes it isn’t the teacher!
A thought on this--the best and the worst students have had lots of lessons/read lots of books/experiment with lots of theories. It's lovely to say to an open-minded auto-didact, "Just stand a little squarer and cut a bit thicker, with a dash of inside," and the ball goes.

I also know/have taught some self-proclaimed experts who didn't get better, when I showed the path to "betterness" because they prefer talk and arguing to shooting/trying a new technique. Yes, that's frustrating.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only once for me...and I almost capitulated and went to see that student again. Fortunately his brother advised me not to, as it would be a waste of my time...so I drove on by!

Scott Lee

I bet that "student" would have welcomed you with open arms. And, like the first time, would have listened to everything you said. In no way, shape, or form would it have been wasted time. I bet the next time you are going to be in that guy's area you might contact him and see what happens........

r/DCP

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Communication isn’t about the message you intended.
It’s about the message received.
Taking responsibility for the received message falls to the speaker.
Try using a video of the skill being performed at a high level.
Even a beginner needs to start with the end in mind.

Motivation can be an issue.
A teacher who wants more for a student than they want for themselves, basically sets themself up for frustration.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
If i personally "reach a point", where i feel and know, that another guy can help a player much more-- i would never hesitate to send him to another coach. Happened til now just two times-- very stubborn persons- who where non-stop ignorant, and furthermore "unfriendly" ( to say it nicley). the it s time to go you own way- i don t want to get angry by passing my knowledge and "doin what i love".

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One way to teach staying down is to hold an ice pick a couple inches off the students back.
Seriously when I first started playing at age 14 I was told to stay down until the ball drops in the pocket.
60 years later I still do that,well most of the time.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Put a fishing line around your neck and put the hook in your crotch.

You'll jump up once. Once.

OIP.AlDUCHZAfrKHMZQRi8lcNAAAAA

Jeff Livingston