Question for the stroke masters, Elbow drop for follow through???

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK,

Elbow drop for follow through. Why does it seem that when I raise my elbow and do this i can get lots of spin, and follow throw, but when I use a more level stroke I don't seem to get as much spin and scoop the cue ball sometimes?

Pete
 
If dropping your elbow "correctly", it should happen naturally and after contact. If it starts to drop at or before contact, you will have issues with inconsistent contact and possibly the results you describe.

And except in certain extreme stroke shots - and there is debate on this - you are certainly not going to get any sort of different action or more spin on the cue ball by dropping your elbow, if it happens after contact as it should the cue ball is long gone and isn't affected by such things.

Everyone is built a little differently, which accounts for a variety of stances, grips, etc. that can be optimal for that person but maybe not for someone else. Elbow dropping is similar, while it's best to keep things simple and keep the elbow in place some people (myself included) just feel more natural letting the cue release a bit more, in which case that motion will require that the elbow drop at least slightly. But again, not strictly necessary by any means, just a personal preference.

Scott
 
OK,

Elbow drop for follow through. Why does it seem that when I raise my elbow and do this i can get lots of spin, and follow throw, but when I use a more level stroke I don't seem to get as much spin and scoop the cue ball sometimes?

Pete

Sounds like you are not striking the cue ball where you are aiming on it.

randyg
 
Just to be clear, you say "I raise my elbow"... you mean raise it above the natural level where it normally rests? Cuz that would be different from "elbow drop" which is just how most people naturally shoot unless they were taught specifically to keep it still.

In any case, here's the deal imo:

- If you spent a decade stroking the ball a certain way, you are probably wasting your time trying to change your basic stroke. You'll have to fight against your own muscle memory, possibly for the rest of your life. You'd have to dedicate some serious hours to making the new stroke work just as well as the old one. The no-drop thing is something you almost need to learn when you're just starting out.

- it's a matter of some debate whether elbow drop is even a bad thing.

- without those added arm movements/muscles, you probably won't hit as hard. A little less force can result in a lot less cue ball "action".
 
CreeDo...Baloney! While that may be true for some, it's definitely not true for everybody...even expert players. Gordy Vanderveer, in OK City, is a Grandmaster level player, who had the "elbow drop from hell". After spending time with Randyg, Gordy made the transition to a pendulum stroke with no trouble, after just a few weeks of practice. He'll be the first to say that the elbow drop is unnecessary to produce any speed stroke...even power strokes. Like I've always said, the elbow drop is a choice, not a necessity.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

In any case, here's the deal imo:

- If you spent a decade stroking the ball a certain way, you are probably wasting your time trying to change your basic stroke. You'll have to fight against your own muscle memory, possibly for the rest of your life. You'd have to dedicate some serious hours to making the new stroke work just as well as the old one. The no-drop thing is something you almost need to learn when you're just starting out.

- it's a matter of some debate whether elbow drop is even a bad thing.

- without those added arm movements/muscles, you probably won't hit as hard. A little less force can result in a lot less cue ball "action".
 
Last edited:
OK,

Elbow drop for follow through. Why does it seem that when I raise my elbow and do this i can get lots of spin, and follow throw, but when I use a more level stroke I don't seem to get as much spin and scoop the cue ball sometimes?

Pete

What I mean by raising elbow (not really what I meant), is Normally I hvae my elbow a little lower than my shoulder. And keep the cue level with the table (not jacked up at all). But when I do the elbow drop for extra follow through (with the cue level) the tip comes up and doesn't hit the cue ball where I aim. Now when I elevate the cue, and do the elbow drop/follow through I seem to hit the cue ball where I intended.

I don't know why the dip doesn't rise up with the elbow drop/follow through like this. I could tape both and view it, but figure if it is happening to me, it happens to others. Thus the post and question.

Hope this is a little clearer, if not I'm sorry.
Pete
 
What I mean by raising elbow (not really what I meant), is Normally I hvae my elbow a little lower than my shoulder. And keep the cue level with the table (not jacked up at all). But when I do the elbow drop for extra follow through (with the cue level) the tip comes up and doesn't hit the cue ball where I aim. Now when I elevate the cue, and do the elbow drop/follow through I seem to hit the cue ball where I intended.

I don't know why the dip doesn't rise up with the elbow drop/follow through like this. I could tape both and view it, but figure if it is happening to me, it happens to others. Thus the post and question.

Hope this is a little clearer, if not I'm sorry.
Pete

Pete,

IMHO Your problem is that your grip does not 'fit' that stroke. I would guess that you are 'holding' it in a confining manner. When the hand goes forward more than in the other stroke the tip will 'want to' rise unless you do a reverse wrist action such as CJ has described or... you allow the cue to 'float' in a less confining grip such as the 'V' grip. Create an axle through the cue by 'pinching' it between the first sections of the thumb & index finger (and perhaps the middle finger) just below the hand knuckles & keep your fingers loose or even off the cue. Give it a try. I think it wiil help.

Regards,
 
Back
Top