Question for those familiar with OB shafts

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I have an OB1 with Everest tip and an OB Classic with a Kamui Super Soft. I like both shafts.

I'm considering getting an OB2 or OB Classic Pro with an Ultraskin Soft, but I'm nervous about the "Conical" taper. I've never had a conical taper shaft.

How much different is a Conical taper from the Pro taper of the OB1 and OB Classic? I usually use a closed bridge if that factors in the decision.

Thanks.
 
What is a conical taper?

He means a straight taper -- from tip to joint (a "cone"). Also called European taper, much like you'd find on snooker or 3-cushion cues.

I have the OB Classic Pro (now called simply, "OB Pro") and I love it. One, because of the taper, and two, because of the small tip diameter (I'm just used to that, playing 3C and snooker).

To answer the OP's question about how much different this taper is from pro taper (which perhaps more pool players are used to), the answer is, you have to try it. It does feel a bit different, but as long as you maintain the shaft properly (i.e. keeping it smooth, burnishing with leather), you'll adapt quickly, and even grow to prefer it.

What's funny, is when I let a [trusted] 3-cushion player shoot a couple shots with my cue with the Classic Pro shaft, he immediately goes, "hey, this is a 3C cue!" :)

-Sean
 
He means a straight taper -- from tip to joint (a "cone"). Also called European taper, much like you'd find on snooker or 3-cushion cues.

I have the OB Classic Pro (now called simply, "OB Pro") and I love it. One, because of the taper, and two, because of the small tip diameter (I'm just used to that, playing 3C and snooker).

To answer the OP's question about how much different this taper is from pro taper (which perhaps more pool players are used to), the answer is, you have to try it. It does feel a bit different, but as long as you maintain the shaft properly (i.e. keeping it smooth, burnishing with leather), you'll adapt quickly, and even grow to prefer it.

What's funny, is when I let a [trusted] 3-cushion player shoot a couple shots with my cue with the Classic Pro shaft, he immediately goes, "hey, this is a 3C cue!" :)

-Sean

Hmmm. Good to know. How does that affect the hit of the cue? Does it hit stiffer or softer?
 
I have not tried the new OB shafts, but comparing a similar taper on a Predator cue Z shaft, that is probably my favorite feeling and playing Predator shaft. I don't own one on my main cue, but have played with just about every one of their models, the conical taper Z shaft has more of a solid feel. It's a stiffer, less whippy feeling shaft.
 
I play with an OB1, but I also had an OB2. I couldn't tell much difference in the hit between the 2. But I got rid of the 2 because I wasn't crazy about the tip size.
 
I used OB2 for years and now an OB Classic Pro for over a year.
I've also used Z2 and fat shafts quite a bit.

To be honest I never even noticed that this isn't a pro taper.
It's a really narrow tip and the taper is gradual.

It's not like when you finish your stroke, the shaft suddenly fattened up to an inch thick and pops
your fingers apart. Even with a long bridge the shaft feels pretty skinny from start to finish.

I cannot imagine anyone using an OB2 or a classic and having a problem with the taper, or feeling
like it has a weird hit.

But, fair warning, I use an open bridge a lot. Not 100% of the time, but more than closed.
 
Many thanks for the useful comments.

While you've put to rest my concerns about the conical taper, I'm still torn between OB2 or Classic Pro. Originally I had a Kamui medium on the Classic because I wanted to experience a firmer hit -- I didn't like it, and replaced the tip with a Kamui SS and now I like it. I guess I just like a softer hit because that's what I learned on.

I lean toward the OB2 because of the softer hit...but I'm very curious about the Classic Pro (with an Ultraskin Soft) because I want to experience the smaller tip diameter.

I don't need another shaft that hits just like my OB1 and Classic. I want it to be different...just not too different. :D
 
Many thanks for the useful comments.

While you've put to rest my concerns about the conical taper, I'm still torn between OB2 or Classic Pro. Originally I had a Kamui medium on the Classic because I wanted to experience a firmer hit -- I didn't like it, and replaced the tip with a Kamui SS and now I like it. I guess I just like a softer hit because that's what I learned on.

I lean toward the OB2 because of the softer hit...but I'm very curious about the Classic Pro (with an Ultraskin Soft) because I want to experience the smaller tip diameter.

I don't need another shaft that hits just like my OB1 and Classic. I want it to be different...just not too different. :D

I have had extensive experience with most of these shafts, particularly the OB Classic and Classic Pro. I personally did not care for the OB1 or OB2 because of the overly soft hit. I also just don't like the look of that ferrule. I will say that the OB2 has the lowest deflection of the bunch. So here is what I think: I own the OB Classic and played with it exclusively for about 2 years. I like the hit quite a bit. I played out the original Everest tip, which was just *ok*. I put on a Kamui Black Soft, and this shaft came alive. HUGE improvement. The only thing I did not like about the shaft was the taper. The Classic does *not* have a pro taper. It actually gets larger very gradually up to about 10-12 inches back. Then, however, you can really feel the diameter increasing back to the joint. I have a fairly long bridge, and found this to be a bit annoying. I own a lathe, and smoothed out this (to me) abrupt transition a bit. Now I am mostly happy. I must admit however that the taper on my Predator 314-2 is about perfect. So that should give you an idea of my tastes.

The OB Classic Pro (now just the Pro) is a bit different, but not super different. First of all, The taper is very gradual, so much so that you really don't feel it. For me, even though it is advertised as a "conical" taper, it actually feels smoother than the taper on the Classic, because there is really no abrupt change in diameter. So taper-wise, I prefer the Classic Pro. What is interesting is that the *Hit* is actually a bit stiffer. The explanation for that is this: since each shaft has a hollow space down through the first 6 inches or so of the shaft, this will affect the feel of the hit. The Classic Pro has a smaller diameter hole. As such, the ratio of hole to sidewall diameter is smaller. The net result is that the shaft plays and hits stiffer than the OB Classic. For me, this is better. It isn't a night and day difference, but it is noticeable. I believe the Classic Pro plays stiffer and gives a firmer overall hit than the Classic. It also gives substantially lower deflection. I think the Classic Pro with a Kamui Black Soft would be near perfect for me. If the budget allowed, I would already have one!

You will never know if it is the right shaft for you until you play with it for an extended period. If you are the type who addresses the cue ball very precisely, and you have very good fundamentals, the Classic Pro could really yield great rewards.

Where are you located? I work very closely with an OB dealer in my area and we can probably get you a great deal. LOTS of people in our pool hall use both types, and I may be able to set you up with a practically new used one. PM me if you want more info.

Thanks, hope this helps you.

KMRUNOUT
 
OB2 vs. (Classic) Pro

Many thanks for the useful comments.

While you've put to rest my concerns about the conical taper, I'm still torn between OB2 or Classic Pro. Originally I had a Kamui medium on the Classic because I wanted to experience a firmer hit -- I didn't like it, and replaced the tip with a Kamui SS and now I like it. I guess I just like a softer hit because that's what I learned on.

I lean toward the OB2 because of the softer hit...but I'm very curious about the Classic Pro (with an Ultraskin Soft) because I want to experience the smaller tip diameter.

I don't need another shaft that hits just like my OB1 and Classic. I want it to be different...just not too different. :D

I've been playing with an OB2 for about 4 years, and absolutely love it. I really like the soft hit. I don't have any problem executing power shots with the smaller shaft/tip size either.

As far as the tip size, the OB2, and (Classic) Pro both have a 11.75 mm tip size.

Charlie
 
I have an OB1 with Everest tip and an OB Classic with a Kamui Super Soft. I like both shafts.

I'm considering getting an OB2 or OB Classic Pro with an Ultraskin Soft, but I'm nervous about the "Conical" taper. I've never had a conical taper shaft.

How much different is a Conical taper from the Pro taper of the OB1 and OB Classic? I usually use a closed bridge if that factors in the decision.

Thanks.

This may/may not apply to your situation, but I have gone from a McDermott G-Core, which is a pro-taper 13mm shaft to a Predator Z2 shaft, which is a conical taper and the tip is 11.75mm. I have a Sniper on the G-Core and its a good shaft. I dont play with it much, but it gets the job done.

I really didnt like the Predator Z shaft much when I first got it. It comes with an Everest Tip on it and I through that it would likely do better with a super soft tip or something atleast softer than the Everest. I was wrong,.. I am actually going with a harder tip on the Z shaft (which i absolutely love now), like an Ultraskin Medium or something to that effect.

Be very careful about tip selection. You will learn that softer tips on smaller diameter shafts spells doom. I get WAY more action with a Z Shaft than I do with the G-Core.

Good Luck!

Lesh
 
Most house cues (Dufferins) are conical taper.

He means a straight taper -- from tip to joint (a "cone"). Also called European taper, much like you'd find on snooker or 3-cushion cues.

I have the OB Classic Pro (now called simply, "OB Pro") and I love it. One, because of the taper, and two, because of the small tip diameter (I'm just used to that, playing 3C and snooker).

To answer the OP's question about how much different this taper is from pro taper (which perhaps more pool players are used to), the answer is, you have to try it. It does feel a bit different, but as long as you maintain the shaft properly (i.e. keeping it smooth, burnishing with leather), you'll adapt quickly, and even grow to prefer it.

What's funny, is when I let a [trusted] 3-cushion player shoot a couple shots with my cue with the Classic Pro shaft, he immediately goes, "hey, this is a 3C cue!" :)

-Sean
 
Back
Top