Question on Newly Acquired Adam Cue

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I acquired this Adam cue today. It has never hit a ball. I was told that it was new old stock purchased many years ago by the seller. I am not familiar with the logo on an Adam cue that has the word CLASSIC under the logo. The cue is straight, solid, and it is an eight pointer (Hi/ Low) The MOP inlays are traditional in appearance ( notched diamonds look like the traditional 60s/ 70s cut). One shaft- all pristine. 18.6 ounces.

My research tells me that perhaps Adam of Japan did a reissue of a few of their 70s era most popular models as seen in the Blue Book of cues 3rd edition such as the Monte Carlo, Corsair, etc. I have the 3rd Blue Book and this cue is very close in design to some of those 70s models, but not exact.

Does anyone know for sure when these Adam CLASSIC cues were produced and if, in fact, it was Adam Japan that made these cues?

Thanks!
adam1.jpg
adam2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Pin

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Used to see these around in the mid 1980s...decent production cue, similar to Vikings and Helmstetters (Adam-made) of the time. Not sure if they were Japan-Adam or China-Adam, though. Classic Old School look!

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No clue to your questions but that's a great looking old cue regardless of where or when it was made.
Thanks, I may hit with it this week, but before I "ruin" the new old stock pedigree of this cue; I would like to know if it is a genuine Adam Japan cue - if it is an Adam Japan cue, I just may want to retain it in my collection as NOS. I just could not resist the buy, it was in person, and I just love this design.

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
Thanks, I may hit with it this week, but before I "ruin" the new old stock pedigree of this cue; I would like to know if it is a genuine Adam Japan cue - if it is an Adam Japan cue, I just may want to retain it in my collection as NOS. I just could not resist the buy, it was in person, and I just love this design.
Yes it is a genuine Adam Japan cue. I also have one with Adam Classic in the buttcap.

The Classic was last available for sale from US retailers in around 2008. I wish they would start producing cues like this again.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I acquired this Adam cue today. It has never hit a ball. I was told that it was new old stock purchased many years ago by the seller. I am not familiar with the logo on an Adam cue that has the word CLASSIC under the logo. The cue is straight, solid, and it is an eight pointer (Hi/ Low) The MOP inlays are traditional in appearance ( notched diamonds look like the traditional 60s/ 70s cut). One shaft- all pristine. 18.6 ounces.

My research tells me that perhaps Adam of Japan did a reissue of a few of their 70s era most popular models as seen in the Blue Book of cues 3rd edition such as the Monte Carlo, Corsair, etc. I have the 3rd Blue Book and this cue is very close in design to some of those 70s models, but not exact.

Does anyone know for sure when these Adam CLASSIC cues were produced and if, in fact, it was Adam Japan that made these cues?

Thanks!View attachment 610555View attachment 610557

My contact who worked at Adam Japan 30 years ago tells me that most of (if not all) Adam Classic series are/were made in China. The image of the butt cap tells him that this cue was made in Taichen.

That's about all I got. Totally 3rd-hand info, so take it with as many grains of salt as you feel necessary.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My contact who worked at Adam Japan 30 years ago tells me that most of (if not all) Adam Classic series are/were made in China. The image of the butt cap tells him that this cue was made in Taichen.

That's about all I got. Totally 3rd-hand info, so take it with as many grains of salt as you feel necessary.
Where is Taichen?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ADAM started moving production out of Japan, with the exception of the Musashi cues, in '95-'96. That's when Miki left to start Mezz. The factory in China that makes Lucasi,Predator makes ADAM cues now.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cue that I sold here last week was made when the company- Adam was owned by a Japanese person, therefore it is an Adam Japan cue., it was made before 1996. I cannot vouch for what Adam Japan did in terms of whether or not prior to 1996 they contracted with manufacturers in other countries to make cues on their behalf. To me, any Adam cues made prior to 1996 are Adam Japan cues - they were in control of the quality of any cues produced under their name.

I could tell by the quality of the cue that I bought last month- NOS and sold a few weeks later that it was absolutely of the quality produced under Adam Japan. I doubt that Miki would have allowed his name to be associated with a cheap knock - off, as I doubt neither would Dick Helmstter.

All of this makes for interesting discussion, as the sharing of information sheds light on many things about cues and pool that not one person could possibly have all the right answers. All input is appreciated!

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cue that I sold here last week was made when the company- Adam was owned by a Japanese person, therefore it is an Adam Japan cue., it was made before 1996. I cannot vouch for what Adam Japan did in terms of whether or not prior to 1996 they contracted with manufacturers in other countries to make cues on their behalf. To me, any Adam cues made prior to 1996 are Adam Japan cues - they were in control of the quality of any cues produced under their name.

I could tell by the quality of the cue that I bought last month- NOS and sold a few weeks later that it was absolutely of the quality produced under Adam Japan. I doubt that Miki would have allowed his name to be associated with a cheap knock - off, as I doubt neither would Dick Helmstter.

All of this makes for interesting discussion, as the sharing of information sheds light on many things about cues and pool that not one person could possibly have all the right answers. All input is appreciated!
Your premise is flawed.

I think you would be surprised at the high quality of particular Chinese made goods.

my question is if you are under the belief that the cue was made under Japanese ownership, did you represent the cue as made in Japan?

FYI, that cue is called “The Bludgeon” FG-12.

MSRP of $600 though it is sold for roughly $420.

8C22D849-6017-44B3-875D-BF92DD55C783.jpeg

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your premise is flawed.

I think you would be surprised at the high quality of particular Chinese made goods.

my question is if you are under the belief that the cue was made under Japanese ownership, did you represent the cue as made in Japan?

FYI, that cue is called “The Bludgeon” FG-12.

MSRP of $600 though it is sold for roughly $420.

View attachment 612391
The cue was made under Adam Japan ownership- that was accurate. where the hell Adam Japan owners contracted for any or all or some of their cues to be made during the many years that they controlled the company is well beyond anyone here's specific knowledge. So the cue was sold as an Adam Japan cue, which it was in fact, and I have no idea where Adam Japan had this specific cue made and it does not really matter- does it? The cue sold for less than it's original MSRP- that is a bargain in anyone's book for a classic, sought after cue both in design and brand, esp. since it was NOS- try to find another just like it as NOS- not so easy, maybe impossible. I also gave JPs and a new hand made case in with the deal- probably the best on AZ in the month of Sep

Last edited: