Question: Why do People Pay to Sign up to get Slaughtered?

dnschmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, look at the winner side bracket at the U. S. Open. As the cops say "all the usual suspects." Dennis, Shane, Neils, Max, Jason etc. Why would inferior players, who in their hearts must know that they're no match for any of these guys, pay money and sign up to get embarrassed by these people. Even established pros like Mika, Thorsten and Cory know that they're not going to win so why do they bother to play. At the beginning of any tournament there are ten guys that can win maybe 20 at the most if Taiwan and China are fully represented as clearly they are not this year. Back in Pittsburgh I played in every C tournament there was because I always had some chance of winning. I didn't play in tournaments where A players were going to kill me and I knew it. What am I missing here?

MSchaffer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, look at the winner side bracket at the U. S. Open. As the cops say "all the usual suspects." Dennis, Shane, Neils, Max, Jason etc. Why would inferior players, who in their hearts must know that they're no match for any of these guys, pay money and sign up to get embarrassed by these people. Even established pros like Mika, Thorsten and Cory know that they're not going to win so why do they bother to play. At the beginning of any tournament there are ten guys that can win maybe 20 at the most if Taiwan and China are fully represented as clearly they are not this year. Back in Pittsburgh I played in every C tournament there was because I always had some chance of winning. I didn't play in tournaments where A players were going to kill me and I knew it. What am I missing here?
Are you still a C player?

dnschmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope, I chopped off the tip of my left index finger and can't make a normal bridge anymore so I don't even play the game. Never figured out the open bridge so I just gave up the game for golf. Played golf every day for quite some time and then my shoulder went to hell. So I had to give up golf too. In golf I was an 11 Handicap at the 500 Club a very nice course here in Phoenix. Could normally shoot around 80-82 and my best score ever at the 500 Club was 76. So I was pretty much a C player at golf as well.

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wouldn't be much of a tournament with only 10-20 players

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I don't know what the entry fee was, but some people that can easily afford it would LOVE the chance to play an upper echelon player up close and personal.

If I wasn't on a fixed income, I might consider doing it myself.

BTW....did you notice some of the obvious upsets?

Maniac

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Nope, I chopped off the tip of my left index finger and can't make a normal bridge anymore so I don't even play the game. Never figured out the open bridge so I just gave up the game for golf.
I'm not meaning to sound like a jerk here, but this explains why you don't understand why people pony up to get killed by the elite. You gave up the game because you struggled to form a 'V' shape with your thumb and remain portion of index finger.

Some people just have less financial stress then quit in them.

Last edited:

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd say you can break why players turn up into a few categories for pretty much every tournament:

1. For the experience- This type of player isn't unrealistic, they know they have no chance of winning, but they want to say they've played at a big tournament, maybe win a game or 2 and maybe even take down a big name (short race 9-Ball is one of the few sports where a decent amateur might be able to beat a pro on an off day if they get a bit of luck)
  2. Genuine contenders- As it says, they have a realistic chance to win and they know that, so they turn up
  3. To gain experience- This category of player is highly skilled, but hasn't yet achieved much, they are good in practice, but haven't been able to bring their A game to a large tournament yet
  4. Realistic expectations- This group of players know they are unlikely to win, but they also know they stand a decent chance of cashing in, this is perhaps an older pro on his way down, or a mid-level pro that has never really won anything before
  5. Delusional- This category has completely unrealistic expectations, they view their lack of success as down to bad luck, rather than poor fundamentals and/or a low skill level. They don't want to pay for a coach and will never materially improve, but they are too stubborn to accept it!
I think, given the history of the US Open and the prestige within the pool world, most probably fall into the first category (I may be way off with that, just really going on what I've seen / what people have talked about on here).

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope, I chopped off the tip of my left index finger and can't make a normal bridge anymore so I don't even play the game. Never figured out the open bridge so I just gave up the game for golf. Played golf every day for quite some time and then my shoulder went to hell. So I had to give up golf too. In golf I was an 11 Handicap at the 500 Club a very nice course here in Phoenix. Could normally shoot around 80-82 and my best score ever at the 500 Club was 76. So I was pretty much a C player at golf as well.
I seen a man play in Vegas with one arm. The other was amputated at the shoulder. So losing the tip of your index finger is not an excuse in my book. I'm guessing it was more along the lines you just weren't enjoying the game anymore.

Get an Instructor to work with you on the open bridge. It might pay dividends. And the open bridge is the preferred bridge these days.... for several reasons.

I could take you quite some time, but you could always learn to play left handed. I learn to play left-handed because I hate using a bridge. I'm pretty accurate left-handed. But my speed control just isn't there. I don't practice left-handed enough.

Last edited:

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because if only the best 10 or 20 players in the world were playing, the prize for the winner would be about $700 and we wouldn't be talking about it here.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member

How's that left hand fit the wrap?

jbullerjr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like you played and liked/loved golf.
Would you have ever ponied up $750 to play a round with Tiger, Nicklaus, Hogan or Palmer?

dnschmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, the only thing in the world I ever did right handed was play pool. The reason being is that I couldn't, for whatever reason, make a bridge with my right hand my fingers simply would not enable me to do that. I throw left handed, kicked punts and field goals left footed and played gold left handed. The ONLY thing I could not do left handed was play pool