Questions about switching to carbon fiber

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For any scientific data and experiment to be measured you must reduce the human interaction as much as possible, in my opinion especially with billiards stroke. If you want to measure the data of the comparison for shafts and energy transfer; a machine must be used. I don't care if you think you can stroke the same way and same speed. It is just impossible nobody can do that.

I always find it funny when people compare deflection of shafts by using their own stroke and putting some type of a ruler, I am sorry but that doesn't work. If people can invest in developing an engineering robot that does the stroking, then it is hard to come to a conclusion.

I know Bob Meucci made a bot that shoots, with that machine you can measure deflection and also can measure energy transfer all you want, as long as you don't have a human arm involved in the stroking process, but some people don't believe Bob. So my question is how about you design your own robot? Why is it hard to design a robot that strokes the cueball with a certain set of speed, i.e. you can put a variable of speed then maybe manipulate that value, then we can talk about experiments.
Do a little digging on 'The Myth Destroyer'. It was a flawed design that gave flawed results. Predator's Iron Willie gave better results. Big problem with robot stroke machines is the machine-to-cue problem. Human hand/arms/shoulder/elbow is not a stiff, locked device. When i tested the Revo 12.9 it was instantly obvious that moving the CB around took less effort. Others there that hit it all said same thing.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
Well, it doesn't really matter. You can play with a wood cue all you want. It doesn't change the fact that carbon fiber is a superior material and the benefits of it aren't just specific to better players. There are practical advantages *everyone* can enjoy.
That would be opinion versus fact. Don't confuse the two. Glad to see you moved past the "leave your cue in your trunk as long as you want" opinion though. 👍

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
This is where we begin to go outside our pay grade. Energy transfer is huge but we're only observing this as pool players. I would be curious to see how much a wood shaft flexes at 5 mph, 10 mph, 15, mph, 20 mph, and 25 mph and then see what happens with CF. My suspicion is, wood flexes very little under 10 mph and a great deal at 25 mph and CF doesn't flex at all (or very little). Type of wood and construction (spliced shafts) may also influence wood's performance. Either way, it would be great to see tests in a controlled environment, which is something the average pool player can't really provide.
Like I started, the majority of people don't have the stroke to support CF.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like I started, the majority of people don't have the stroke to support CF.
HUH????? What does that even mean??? What stroke level/quality would you deem necessary for one to use a cf shaft?? Have you ever tried one? I know players from near beginners to world-class pros who love them. CF is a material, nothing more. The same stroking ability needed for old school maple still applies. CF doesn't perform magic tricks. Like i said earlier, the ones i've tried have shown a 'slight' increase in transfer most likely due to the stiffness.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
HUH????? What does that even mean??? What stroke level/quality would you deem necessary for one to use a cf shaft?? Have you ever tried one? I know players from near beginners to world-class pros who love them. CF is a material, nothing more. The same stroking ability needed for old school maple still applies. CF doesn't perform magic tricks. Like i said earlier, the ones i've tried have shown a 'slight' increase in transfer most likely due to the stiffness.
I believe the feedback from wood is different than CF. You disagree? Are you saying that CF shafts deflect as much as maple?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe the feedback from wood is different than CF. You disagree? Are you saying that CF shafts deflect as much as maple?
Yep. Some do. The smaller diameter cf shafts are very low aquirt but i hate those sizes. The 12.9 Revo that i tested was slightly less than a 12.8 maple i had but not a lot. The biggest benefits of these shafts(IMO) are the finish(except the Defy. It sucked), durability and radial consistency.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
Yep. Some do. The smaller diameter cf shafts are very low aquirt but i hate those sizes. The 12.9 Revo that i tested was slightly less than a 12.8 maple i had but not a lot. The biggest benefits of these shafts(IMO) are the finish(except the Defy. It sucked), durability and radial consistency.
I largely agree those might be seen as benefits to some. 👍 But none are really playability benefits. I get that some Pro's may like them as well as some beginners but what is a beginner comparing it to? The Pro likes it for the radial consistency? I thought they could run 400 balls with a broom stick. :ROFLMAO:

I am simply saying the pool world AT-LARGE, from a playing perspective, especially new players, probably only benefit from the cool, latest and greatest factor. And apparently, they can leave them in their trunks weeks at a time in Texas. A huge benefit.

Personally I would encourage any new players to begin with a good maple shaft. I think the feel of wood teaches more and if you want to move to CF in time after you actually know how to stroke, feel free. I don't have anything against them, I'll just never buy one. Just like I don't need a glove.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And apparently, they can leave them in their trunks weeks at a time in Texas. A huge benefit.
Ugh, so being respectful is not something you do. Yes, I live in a state where it gets to be 105 degrees for months at a time and yes, occasionally I leave my cues in my car. At big tournaments, one's choices can often be limited. The idea that you can have shafts that don't warp is appealing to me and anyone like me.

I compete as much as I can. I don't have any sponsors (nor am I looking for one) so all of my equipment is out-of-pocket. The straighter my cue is, the better. If this isn't your life, that's fine. I get it. Not everyone actually gets in their car and drives across state to play in tournaments.

MurrayNevada

HNTFSH Said:
"Personally I would encourage any new players to begin with a good maple shaft. I think the feel of wood teaches more and if you want to move to CF in time after you actually know how to stroke, feel free."

Why would that new player want to start with wood if he thought he would move to CF in the future?

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
You're specific situation does not apply to the world at large yet you act like it does. AND you love the last word...so go ahead.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
HNTFSH Said:
"Personally I would encourage any new players to begin with a good maple shaft. I think the feel of wood teaches more and if you want to move to CF in time after you actually know how to stroke, feel free."

Why would that new player want to start with wood if he thought he would move to CF in the future?
IMO the feel of wood teaches the player how the shaft reacts in a variety of shots, strokes and situations. More so than CF. Understanding that is a learning process (consciously or subconsciously) for new player. That in itself can take YEARS and a lot of playing and practice.

We all know MANY people who HOPE custom cues and CF shafts will makes them better.

Think about ALL the players that do not take billiards as seriously as the regulars here. It's a bunch. That's who I have in mind with my comments. But go to any bar and watch a guy than can run 2 whole balls wearing his glove or playing with his CF shaft.

Dad use to say when fishing: "At times you might THINK you get a bite but you'll KNOW when you actually do". :ROFLMAO: Similar thing here, once you get used to feeling that nibble on a fiberglass rod and determine bites versus bumps, you're ready to better benefit from the Graphite rod.