quick one re: "mosconi" cup

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
was just pondering the fact that the cup, where 9-ball is the featured game, is named after such a great straight pooler
apparently straights and tv don't mix well, I'm not sure- but it would be cool if they could incorporate 14.1 into the cup

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
It's a zero percent chance.

Matchroom has, to the greatest extent possible, standardized the game of pool and it greatly benefits most of their viewers. In the eyes of Matchroom, the terms pool and nine ball are interchangeable, evidenced by the fact that they renamed the World 9-ball Championship and it is now called the World Pool Championship.

Matchroom's decision to name a 9-ball challenge event for Mosconi was made to honor him in the aftermath of his death in 1993, and it was done with the consent of his widow. FYI, the Mosconi Cup began in 1994.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member

Matchroom has, to the greatest extent possible, standardized the game of pool and it greatly benefits most of their viewers. In the eyes of Matchroom, the terms pool and nine ball are interchangeable, evidenced by the fact that they renamed the World 9-ball Championship and it is now called the World Pool Championship.

Matchroom's decision to name a 9-ball challenge event for Mosconi was made to honor him in the aftermath of his death in 1993, and it was done with the consent of his widow. FYI, the Mosconi Cup began in 1994.
And I think a 0% chance is being optimistic.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
was just pondering the fact that the cup, where 9-ball is the featured game, is named after such a great straight pooler
apparently straights and tv don't mix well, I'm not sure- but it would be cool if they could incorporate 14.1 into the cup
pool already is a small draw niche sport. if they played 14.1 only the super hard-core fans would watch. i'd guess they'd lose at least half the audience if not more. on the other hand they could shoot spot shots............. ;)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
At the American 14.1 championships a few weeks ago, the last eight were Filler, Gorst, Chinakhov, Fortunski, Lechner, Ouschan, Szolnocki, and Zielinski. Yup, that's eight Europeans.

Perhaps America's chances are better if they stick to nine ball at the Mosconi.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

check. it's obviously not a new idea, and I get why 9-ball is the game de rigeur- I'm not even saying they *should* bring in 14.1-
I was just thinking of willie..but matchroom is certainly doing a lot to professionalize pool, and bring it as a whole to the masses
I didn't know the backstory behind the name, thanks for that- I'm glad willie's widow was a part of the cup's formation- respect
and I think the mosconi cup is a great event- I hope I didn't intimate otherwise. excited for another edition next month-

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matchroom would find a way to incorporate some goofy idea like spot shots if they tried their hand at 14.1.

Matchroom appeals to the short attention span crew.