Radial pin diameter different

klaha81

World Class Shot Misser
Silver Member
Does anyone know if there are different sizes for radial pin joints?

because i have one cue that has a brass insert and another which has a titanium insert. Strangely, the shaft going into the cue with titanium insert can't fit into the one for the brass insert, gets stuck halfway while screwing it in.

now dunno which one is the commercial standard kind of size of radial pin as well.

RBC

Deceased
Just to clarify, it's not "inserts" that are different in these two cues, it's the pins. Inserts are on the female side, and most likely these cues' shafts don't have any inserts at all. No disrespect intended, I'm just trying to help you get your message across.

Now, for your problem. It's not uncommon to have Radial joints that are tighter than others. As you expected, I've found that the pins do vary sometimes, and there are also different size taps for different fits.

The good news is that it's real easy to get your tight shaft to fit. Just put some wax on the pin and some in the female threads and work it on and off a few times. I do this all the time at tournaments and shows when someone has a joint that doesn't quite fit. I usually keep a Chapstick in my pocket for this exact purpose. I just rub it on the screw, screw it together as far as I can get it, and repeat. After 2 or 3 times it will magically go on smooth and clean.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Does anyone know if there are different sizes for radial pin joints?

because i have one cue that has a brass insert and another which has a titanium insert. Strangely, the shaft going into the cue with titanium insert can't fit into the one for the brass insert, gets stuck halfway while screwing it in.

now dunno which one is the commercial standard kind of size of radial pin as well.

Joint pins, especially the radials (in my experiences) can be a finicky lot. Some of the radials have a slightly different thread pitch to them and changing a radial pin from cue to cue can be a daunting endeavor. Some are made in different parts of the world and this is part of the problem. Let me give you an example of how a very small amount of variance can make a huge difference in joint pins: I bought a custom cue that was built by a cuemaker in the Philippine Islands and it came with joint protectors on it. After about 6 months of not using the joint protectors, I cannot for the life of me get the butt section joint protector to screw onto the pin no matter how many times I try and how carefully I try. So, you can see how even the slightest bit of pitch variance can make a HUGE difference in whether or not a joint will screw together.

Maniac

klaha81

World Class Shot Misser
Silver Member
Just to clarify, it's not "inserts" that are different in these two cues, it's the pins. Inserts are on the female side, and most likely these cues' shafts don't have any inserts at all. No disrespect intended, I'm just trying to help you get your message across.

Now, for your problem. It's not uncommon to have Radial joints that are tighter than others. As you expected, I've found that the pins do vary sometimes, and there are also different size taps for different fits.

The good news is that it's real easy to get your tight shaft to fit. Just put some wax on the pin and some in the female threads and work it on and off a few times. I do this all the time at tournaments and shows when someone has a joint that doesn't quite fit. I usually keep a Chapstick in my pocket for this exact purpose. I just rub it on the screw, screw it together as far as I can get it, and repeat. After 2 or 3 times it will magically go on smooth and clean.

Hi RBC, thanks for the education! Gosh, now i seem like a fool! Thanks for the advice on using wax, i'm rather apprehensive on doing so though, given that the shaft is unable to be screwed in anymore halfway into the butt end. I'm afraid i might end up damaging something in the process of forcing it. Dunno if wax will help though because its not even able to turn anymore.

klaha81

World Class Shot Misser
Silver Member
Joint pins, especially the radials (in my experiences) can be a finicky lot. Some of the radials have a slightly different thread pitch to them and changing a radial pin from cue to cue can be a daunting endeavor. Some are made in different parts of the world and this is part of the problem. Let me give you an example of how a very small amount of variance can make a huge difference in joint pins: I bought a custom cue that was built by a cuemaker in the Philippine Islands and it came with joint protectors on it. After about 6 months of not using the joint protectors, I cannot for the life of me get the butt section joint protector to screw onto the pin no matter how many times I try and how carefully I try. So, you can see how even the slightest bit of pitch variance can make a HUGE difference in whether or not a joint will screw together.

Maniac

Funny that you said it, one of the cues in the picture has also come from Philippines. Oh well, keeping my fingers crossed when my new shaft comes!

Dirtbmw20

Lee Casto
Silver Member
I bought a custom cue that was built by a cuemaker in the Philippine Islands and it came with joint protectors on it. After about 6 months of not using the joint protectors, I cannot for the life of me get the butt section joint protector to screw onto the pin no matter how many times I try and how carefully I try.

Maniac

Let me guess Maniac......... that was a JD cue ????

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Let me guess Maniac......... that was a JD cue ????

Yep. But.....the cue plays great, the butt and both shafts are straight, and who needs a joint protector anyways??? :D

Maniac (probaly would more likely damage a pin dropping his butt while trying to catch the joint protector he just dropped after taking it off :thumbup:)

DeHouser

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny that you said it, one of the cues in the picture has also come from Philippines. Oh well, keeping my fingers crossed when my new shaft comes!

You may find that your incoming new shaft will not work.

I have a cue made in the Philippines, and the pin is a copy of a radial, but not an exact one. I ordered JPs from Jim Baxter here on AZ, and they would not fit: the pitch on the threads was slightly different, enough that, as you described, the JPs would not go on more than a few turns.

Good luck.

klaha81

World Class Shot Misser
Silver Member
You may find that your incoming new shaft will not work.

I have a cue made in the Philippines, and the pin is a copy of a radial, but not an exact one. I ordered JPs from Jim Baxter here on AZ, and they would not fit: the pitch on the threads was slightly different, enough that, as you described, the JPs would not go on more than a few turns.

Good luck.

It's okay, the incoming shaft is for the Baxter anyway, not the other. So i'm guessing it should fit fine.

Dirtbmw20

Lee Casto
Silver Member
Yep. But.....the cue plays great, the butt and both shafts are straight, and who needs a joint protector anyways??? :D

Maniac (probaly would more likely damage a pin dropping his butt while trying to catch the joint protector he just dropped after taking it off :thumbup:)

Oh I know his cues are great, I have 2 myself and one of my team mates ownes 2 as well. Out of the 4 we both own, 3 of them the butt joint protector was a PITA to get on and off. I even made my team mate another set for one of his JD's and even the one I made for the butt, I had the same problem, it was a MAJOR PAIN to get on and off. After about 10-12 times taking it on and off, it finally loosened up enough to use them. The cues themselves are excellent, I really love the two I own.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
How much would someone typically charge to change a pin from Radial to 3/8 10?

Stick with a radial, more shafts fit that. I've seen someone rip the wooden threads out of a shaft forcing the wrong pin into one. And if you're in the mood to throw away a new shaft ... daddy needs an OB Classic.

RBC

Deceased
There are also 3/8 x8 and 3/8 x10 radial pins. They are not interchangable.

Robert

True that there are "knock offs" of the Radial pin that are a different pitch. We call them the "import" radial because I think that's were they originated.

They are not interchangeable!

The 2 in the pictures certainly appear to be actual "Radial" pins. I'm pretty good at distinguishing between the 2.

As for the 3/8-10, I've never seen a Radial style thread in this pitch. I often hear people call the 3/8-10 a radial pin, but that isn't correct. The 3/8-10 is a standard V style thread with a 60 degree included angle. Radial pins have a completely different profile with the thread pointed like a traditional thread at the peak, but they have a wide slow radius at the root of the thread.

Back to the OP,

Give the wax a try. You can't hurt anything unless you really force it, or you cross thread it, and both of those are easy to prevent. I have seen the wax make cues that you would think were not made for each other fit perfect with just a few tries.

Royce