Rarest Exotic woods

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
Wait. The second reason for how much you charge. I have to pay for the replacement piece and the next guy has to pay for that piece to be used in his cue?
Nope....you don't have to pay for anything.
I paid for the first piece out of my original start up funds.
As a business, if I continue to buy wood without the customer paying to replace it, how would you expect that business to stay in business?

As I mentioned, it is simply the formula I use to replace "high end woods" in my shop.
If you don't want a high end wood in your cue, you could easily opt for a piece of BE maple.

Murray Tucker

Just a Padawan
Silver Member
Nope....you don't have to pay for anything.
I paid for the first piece out of my original start up funds.
As a business, if I continue to buy wood without the customer paying to replace it, how would you expect that business to stay in business?

As I mentioned, it is simply the formula I use to replace "high end woods" in my shop.
If you don't want a high end wood in your cue, you could easily opt for a piece of BE maple.

Capitalistic pig.

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
Well written.
Desert Ironwood BURL was my expensived wood ever I had buy.
Yeah dark Tulipwood is really hard to get
Thanks Ralf.
I know it's hard for some to understand the formula I use for rare exotic wood replacement when they are on a beer budget with champagne taste.
I have enough DI burl left for 1-2 projects from a whole burl I found years ago. One of the most expensive purchases for wood I made at the time.
These are the types of woods I'm referring to for major up charging in a build. I can't even replace those pieces for another build so you imagine what the up charge would be for those pieces! ;)

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
in barenbrugge defense
there was a time i was into collectible wine
when the wine market prices started to increase substantially
all the the wine already bought at a lower price went up in price because of the increased replacement cost
told to me by several wine merchants when i asked about the increased cost

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
To make it easier for the ones that preferred to pick out and focus on a sentence or two in my original post.
I went back and did an edit on the post so it would be easier for a brain to digest.

Enjoy your cues, enjoy the game and have a wonderful day.

Reactions: bbb

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
in barenbrugge defense
there was a time i was into collectible wine
when the wine market prices started to increase substantially
all the the wine already bought at a lower price went up in price because of the increased replacement cost
told to me by several wine merchants when i asked about the increased cost
This is common across the board with pretty much all items that are being sold. Especially when it comes to high end and hard to get supply chains.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cue builders, ornamental wood turners, even the people making huge wooden salad bowls, all cultivate a river of wood. They buy wood and age it for years in their own possession regardless of prior aging. That way they know for sure that the wood is properly seasoned. Barenbrugge could simply charge fair market value for the wood he has held for years, tying up money he could have invested other places, and there would be no complaints. The fact that he uses the money to reinvest in his river of wood shouldn't really factor into what he charges. The fair market value would be the same if he invested it in short term stock, like beer!

I lost my river of wood that was five to eight years old in my possession and abandoned my cue shop. I didn't feel like it being a year or more before I could make a shaft for somebody else, two years minimum to create a cue butt. I did learn several gross of hard maple shaft blanks made great survey stakes!

Hu

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just who does this Barenboogie guy think he is anyway? Charging for his wood like he owned it? What The Hell!! This is AZ Mister; you are expected to run your business the way the members want!! Not the way you want, for Christ sake!! What Da Fook!!

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Just who is does this Barenboogie guy think he is anyway? Charging for his wood like he owned it? What The Hell!! This is AZ Mister; you are expected to run your business the way the members want!! Not the way you want, for Christ sake!! What Da Fook!!

Well as I understand it Dave only builds about 20 or so Cues a year.

The Ringwork alone is like no one else does, they are functional artwork.

Understand everything he builds is spoken for, nice problrm to have.👍

Photos =‘s 1,000 words.

telinoz

Registered
Well as I understand it Dave only builds about 20 or so Cues a year.

The Ringwork alone is like no one else does, they are functional artwork.

Understand everything he builds is spoken for, nice problrm to have.👍

Photos =‘s 1,000 words.

Nice cues.

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue makers are acutely aware of wood market pricing including the always changing availability of exotics. When you ask a custom cue maker to make you a cue of a special combination of woods the price will be according to the current market or at times what the cue maker feels the market will be in the future to replace his material. It would be naive to believe the quote would be based on his cost of 1, 2 or in some cases 10 years ago. You will either accept the quote, search for another cue maker whose price is more in line with what you are willing to spend or change your wood selections. Other than the 1st option you are opting for 2nd best or different woods. This, is of course, based on the assumption that you got the original pricing from the cue maker who you really wanted to make your cue.

Simple. What they paid for materials or anything else dealing with the cue is not my business.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What are the most rare exotic woods to request or look for in a cue to add value?

Why do you want to pay more for a cue just to have fancier wood? Normally the thing to do is to find a wood you like and then see if you can afford it. Unless you are buying one to sell, but then you are in the same boat, you need to find someone that wants that wood in the cue vs just extra cost. A cue inlayed with gold will sure cost more to make, but if anyone cares about that would depend on the person looking to buy one.

Dak21st

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Why do you want to pay more for a cue just to have fancier wood? Normally the thing to do is to find a wood you like and then see if you can afford it. Unless you are buying one to sell, but then you are in the same boat, you need to find someone that wants that wood in the cue vs just extra cost. A cue inlayed with gold will sure cost more to make, but if anyone cares about that would depend on the person looking to buy one.
I think in my opinion a wood handled cue is attractive as well as a value addition due to the rarity of the wood just like in the 90’s when the craze was for ivory handled cues before the ban on ivory.

jtaylor996

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The rarest wood ive seen in a cue is pernambuco. I think it was kikel?

Endangered wood used for violin bows for centuries.