Rate your Cue ball vs Shotmaking

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm getting old.

I miss more shots than I used to...well maybe I'm kidding myself about the 'used to'.;)

I place much more emphasis on the cue ball than reliance on making shots these days...

I'm a big fan of two way shots, and safes these days. Anyone else the same?

My cb control is decent.

I'd rate my cb/shotmaking success about 65/35...that's all I got. I have to try to get by with that.:(

Howboutyou?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I haven't played good on a 9' or 10' table for 35 years. I've always had good CB control on all size table. On a 9' my CB control makes me a better player than I really am/was. On the BB I don't have to shoot anymore than 1' to 6' shots, making me about 50/50 on the BB. Johnnyt

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I'm not really too good at either at this point, but I never had much of a CB at any point. Still, there are times when I feel young again and it seems like I can make anything, but there are never any times where I feel I can consistently put the CB just where I want to, so I'd have to say I'm 65% shotmaking, 35% CB. I fear that's all I'll ever have at this point, but I still enjoy it anyway.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm getting old.

I miss more shots than I used to...well maybe I'm kidding myself about the 'used to'.;)

I place much more emphasis on the cue ball than reliance on making shots these days...

I'm a big fan of two way shots, and safes these days. Anyone else the same?

My cb control is decent.

I'd rate my cb/shotmaking success about 65/35...that's all I got. I have to try to get by with that.:(

Howboutyou?

im alittle confused
if you can get your cueball where you want 65% of the time you shouldnt be 35% on your shot making
what am i missing

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i believe i am terrible at both.

i did have a better player tell me the other night that i play pretty smart . i won 4-3 in a 4-5 race. i played 18 safes on him cause i knew i could not out shoot him.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
to answer your question
like most amateurs i have to shoot harder shots because my position skill isnt as precise as a pro
so for me id say cb/ob
45/55

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
50/50. Many times I focus too much on one or the other. If I concentrate on shot making, I lose control. If I concentrate on the CB position, I end up with perfect position but miss the shot. Working hard to fix that!

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can probably make shots about as good as any B player, but cue ball control of a C player.

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Can make shots, learning CB control. Have to make shots cause my CB control needs a lot of work.

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
to answer your question
like most amateurs i have to shoot harder shots because my position skill isnt as precise as a pro
so for me id say cb/od
45/55

I'd have to go with him about 45 cueball and 55 shot making

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Making shots and cue ball control go hand in hand. You ain't gonna be a consistent shot maker if you can't put yourself in position for subsequent shots... So the comparison is mute IMHO....

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought my cueball control was good until i went through dr dave's BU exams. Found some things to work on. Cb/shot making is 35/65

ronscuba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My shot making is better.

My CB control is good at getting to an area, but I have to pay more attention and make smaller target areas.

Too often I put myself in spots where I can make the shot but getting position on the next ball is difficult.

Spread out open balls are easy. I am at the point where difficult layouts and clusters cause me to lose the rack or play some kind of safety.