Ray Martin's Balabushka

steveinflorida

Silver Member
Ray Martins Bushka

Dick, I have wrapped a few cues for Ray and what he likes is 50# nylon fihing line. I know he had Gus wrap his cues with it way back when.

It can be a 'pita' to do because there can be absolutely NO twists in it like with linen.
I keep some on hand for him because it is hard to get these days because everyone has gone to the new era fishing lines.

billiardcue

11th Commandment
Silver Member
Super nice cue belonging to Kool Kat... probably made around the same time as this cue...

http://www.proficientbilliards.com/cues/georgebalabushka/dotsanddiamonds/index.htm

Same ring above wrap and a similar if not identical forearm... but having Ray's Bushka.. now that's right up there with the Miz's and Hopkins..

JV

Joe that is the same ring work above the wrap, Pete Tascarella told me he had not seen it before. Now we know George did it at least two times.

The dots are mother of pearl, the inner ring is white linen based phenolic and the outer rings are silver.

The veneers are black, mahogany, greenish grey and maple.

nicolasranch

Hey Dick"

this is a great looking cue, thanks for posting your picture's,
And as always its been nice chating with you.

thank you, Bill Picard

billiardcue

11th Commandment
Silver Member
Went to the pool room and played the cue for the first time today.

I've had a bunch of Balabushka cues, most were good, a couple were dogs and three played jam up.

I have been playing with one for the past several months (pictured below) and it has been my favorite until today.

This cue is sweet, Ray Martin had to run hundreds with it many times over.

If I have any complaint - the shafts are too thick 13.2mm - the Bushka I've been playing with are 12.7mm.

Maybe I should throw it in the lathe and sand the shafts down a few millimeters.

balabushka_Q2198.jpg

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Went to the pool room and played the cue for the first time today.

I've had a bunch of Balabushka cues, most were good, a couple were dogs and three played jam up.

I have been playing with one for the past several months (pictured below) and it has been my favorite until today.

This cue is sweet, Ray Martin had to run hundreds with it many times over.

If I have any complaint - the shafts are too thick 13.2mm - the Bushka I've been playing with are 12.7mm.

Maybe I should throw it in the lathe and sand the shafts down a few millimeters.

View attachment 98001
"please dont sand the shafts down"
I'll buy the cue, As-Is ,
And have to struggle with the thicker shafts :eek:
Its definitely an aweome cue :thumbup:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dick, I have wrapped a few cues for Ray and what he likes is 50# nylon fihing line. I know he had Gus wrap his cues with it way back when.

It can be a 'pita' to do because there can be absolutely NO twists in it like with linen.
I keep some on hand for him because it is hard to get these days because everyone has gone to the new era fishing lines.

I have his Gus wuth the "Hearts" in the butt sleve, same wrap. I do infact play with that cue every 2-3 weeks for a session by myself for drills etc. It is one of the best hitting Gus cues I have ever hit a ball with, I have hit balls with around 60-70 of them over the years. Rays is in the top 3 for sure, I dont know if Gus just worked harder on it, Ray spec'ed it out and its similiar to my taste in cues, what ever the reason that Gus is one of my favotites.

I will see about taking pics of it, they would be cool in this thread with Rays Bushka.