Real or fake - Super Aramith Pro Balls FS Goodwill auction website

Texdance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Goodwill auction site link advertises a set of Super Aramith Pro pool balls, probably because the balls are in a nice Super Aramith Pro box.

Yesterday evening, the balls had a buy it now price of $150, which was lowered today to $100, in response to my email saying the balls do not look at all like current Super Aramith Pro balls.

Here is the link to the Goodwill auction, and a photo of current Super Aramith Pro balls from the Aramith website:
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/16-Aramith-Super-Aramith-Pro-Billiard-Balls-19021364.html

cue Super Aramith Pro maybe maybe not at Goodwill.jpg

cue Super Aramith Pro balls.jpg

cue Super Aramith Pro boxtop at Goodwill.jpg

My question: Can anyone confirm or deny that the balls at Goodwill are actually Super Aramith Pro balls, based just on the photos from Goodwill?

A1: The Striped balls (9 - 15) in the set of Goodwill balls each has a small thin numeral on large white background;
A2: The Striped balls in the set of Super Aramith Pro balls each has a large, thick numeral, inside a small white circle, and the small white circle is inside a colored stripe.

B1: The Striped balls in the set of Goodwill balls are printed using a thin, sans-serif font;
B2: The Striped balls in the set of Super Aramith Pro balls are printed using a thicker font, more bold and larger than the font used on the Goodwill balls.

If the Goodwill set is not a set of current Super Aramith Pro balls, could they be SAP balls from a different erea, say about 1997? (Goodwill says the balls are from 1997 though did not say how that was determined).

Goodwill's email reply to me did not seem too interested in getting their ad correct, which is a shame. Goodwill has a No Returns policy, so some poor soul could bid on a Christmas present for dear old dad, based on the box cover, then receive a non-returnable set of old worn out cheap used pool balls, after paying far more second-hand than the cheap balls cost new.

Buyer beware... as usual.

jaetee

rack master ;)
Silver Member
That is not a set of Aramith Super Pros... The box looks legit, though.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Goodwill is selling an old set of Standard balls in a Super Pro box. Value is around $25 in that condition

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Goodwill is selling an old set of Standard balls in a Super Pro box. Value is around $25 in that condition

-

Agrees with you.

The set pictured by OP, I believe it's a mismatched set- see difference in the green ball and 9 ball- the underscore is different....
Aramith crown standard- lowest entry level set by aramith
The only aramith set with the numbers in the field rather than in the stripe.
Aramith crown standard sells in stores for about $90.00-$100.00 new

Rob.M

Last edited:

Texdance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So it seems the pool balls at that Goodwill auction not only are not Super Aramith Pro balls, they are not even a full matched set of any kind. Those balls are ok if the buy it now price is under twenty bucks or so, but they were represented originally as being worth a buy it now price of $150, which is unconscionable when taking into account Goodwill's strict 'no returns, no refunds' policy..

What bothers me is the cavalier attitude of the email I received from the person responsible for the ad content. Apparently Goodwill does not care if they mis-represent merchandise and cause customers to spend much, much more than something is worth. Their 'no returns, no refunds' policy is bad enough. Putting cheap pool balls inside a box from a set of expensive pool balls is so close to consumer fraud as to be indistinguishable, especially after the error has been pointed out to them.

In Texas, it is potentially cause for treble damages plus attorney fees to represent goods as a certain level of quality when they are of a lesser level of quality.

I won a nice refund, plus attorney fees, back about 1987-88 in a sale of a pre-Windows computer. It was supposed to be a name-brand unit, but instead was home-built, with a sticker from a name-brand computer glued on to make it look like an IBM or Samsung or whatever name it was. The seller had to borrow money from his brother to pay off the refund and attorney fees, and went out of business because his brother found out the scam he was running and pulled the plug on his backing.

Once the guy (and his brother, since I had discovered downtown both names were on the business name certificate so they were legally in business together) got the letter from my lawyer, everything went down within days (time limited, 10 days I think). and The lawyer got paid, I got a full refund, and I went away happy.

The cool thing was that I recorded a phone conversation in which the seller came right out and admitted to wrongdoing, but was claiming his home-built unit was as good as the name brand ones...

The attorney asked me if the seller knew the phone call was being recorded, and I said "no, but I knew it was being recorded" and that fulfilled the requirements to make a recording admissible as legal evidence.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:killingme:

Why would Goodwill worry about whether the set of balls match or if they are real good balls?

They're not in the pool ball business.

They sell used stuff that is usually donated.

They show a good picture and they are for sale.

There is no deceit here...They're just slinging balls.

And now you want to sue them for selling used balls...........

:thumbup:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
:killingme:

Why would Goodwill worry about whether the set of balls match or if they are real good balls?

They're not in the pool ball business.

They sell used stuff that is usually donated.

They show a good picture and they are for sale.

There is no deceit here...They're just slinging balls.

And now you want to sue them for selling used balls...........

:thumbup:
I suspect that if there was deceit it was on the part of the donor to Goodwill who asked for the receipt saying "One set Super Aramith Balls, value $150." Maybe. From Goodwill's end, they have no resources to research something they don't see very often.

Maybe another kind of scam is involved. Maybe Goodwill has seen people come in and say, "This isn't a Balabushka like you labelled it. It doesn't even have the signature. It's a cheap Player's cue that someone took the sticker off of to make it look like a Balabushka. I'll still give you $50 for it."

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suspect that if there was deceit it was on the part of the donor to Goodwill who asked for the receipt saying "One set Super Aramith Balls, value $150." Maybe. From Goodwill's end, they have no resources to research something they don't see very often.

Maybe another kind of scam is involved. Maybe Goodwill has seen people come in and say, "This isn't a Balabushka like you labelled it. It doesn't even have the signature. It's a cheap Player's cue that someone took the sticker off of to make it look like a Balabushka. I'll still give you $50 for it."

I dont think any of the outfits give you a receipt with a dollar amount anymore.

Medalist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even if they were real, balls wear our. Why would you buy used balls? Thats like putting used spark plugs in a car. Dumb

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is seriously too much thought on the matter.

In any purchase, there is a given level of due diligence to conducted. When you buy a lawn mower from a bike shop, you'd better look far more closely at it than if you bought it from Sears.

Same thing with anything from a 2nd hand shop. Virtually everything they have is unwanted by someone. You better know more about the thing than the people selling it.