Real pool reality show question.

jimM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So far we have gotten a lot of comments on what the show shouldn't be, like it shouldn't be like The Hustlers. I would like to know what you would like the show to be like. For example, what would you like the show to focus on? All of the negative feed back isn't very productive, but you probably have positive suggestions.

Thanks,
Jim

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
That would depend on your target audience..

If you intend to appeal to the masses, you will get negative criticism from pool players.

If you intend to appeal to pool players, you will not get much interest from non-pool players.

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So far we have gotten a lot of comments on what the show shouldn't be, like it shouldn't be like The Hustlers. I would like to know what you would like the show to be like. For example, what would you like the show to focus on? All of the negative feed back isn't very productive, but you probably have positive suggestions.

Thanks,
Jim

Some of the structure of reality shows do not allow for the viewer to see the player in their natural state.
Their endevour to find someone to compete with let alone someone to gamble with.
A state of waiting.
A state of psychological warfare that comes from knowing or not knowing your opponent in an effort to make a game an even match, but with an edge.

The surroundings and the people on the rails play a part in this as do the room owners and events leading up to a game being made.

All of this is at the heart of pool in the USA.
To not capture and include this element leaves out a powerful dynamic.

My life is a reality show starring all the best - happy to share!

Merry Christmas- go get'em!

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Very good!

That would depend on your target audience..

If you intend to appeal to the masses, you will get negative criticism from pool players.

If you intend to appeal to pool players, you will not get much interest from non-pool players.

You see the problem...
It's a good thing we are more than just balls, sticks, and holes.
Pool touches everything!
:thumbup:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks,
Jim

Like the pit at the SBX. , Scooter Spanky and the gang ,, Scooter could be a show all by him self

Floppage

True Beginner
Silver Member
I don't think pool needs any more reality shows right now. More pool players have tried to tap that than Anastasia Luppova.

How about a version of The League but actually using an in-house pool league as a setting? Do you know the kinds of crazy characters and conversations that happen in a single night of pool league?

Women, who know nothing about the NFL or football at all will watch the League even though it's fairly sexist humor. Why? It's funny. So why couldn't a similar show about an in-house pool league be just as funny and just as accessible to a wider market?

And you wouldn't even have to pitch it to a big network. Netflix, HBO, AMC even ESPN might be open to a half-hour sit-com format that went for cheap laughs with well-written, funny dialog.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think pool needs any more reality shows right now. More pool players have tried to tap that than Anastasia Luppova.

How about a version of The League but actually using an in-house pool league as a setting? Do you know the kinds of crazy characters and conversations that happen in a single night of pool league?

Women, who know nothing about the NFL or football at all will watch the League even though it's fairly sexist humor. Why? It's funny. So why couldn't a similar show about an in-house pool league be just as funny and just as accessible to a wider market?

And you wouldn't even have to pitch it to a big network. Netflix, HBO, AMC even ESPN might be open to a half-hour sit-com format that went for cheap laughs with well-written, funny dialog.

Pool have never had a reality show ,, the hustlers was a far cry from reality

SeabrookMiglla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if i had X amount of dollars to spend on a reality show that focused on pool.

id probably do something like anthony bordain. get a travelling pool player who travels the world to different pool halls and plays all sorts of different cue sports/games. maybe gamble or play tournaments etc. make sure the person has a good personality and can play good in multiple cue disciplines.

but in general, i think the show should be more genuine and less generic like 'the hustlers'. audiences immediately pick up on the cookie cutter reality show format and know its not real.

i think an audience would like to actually get to know the players. its not very often you meet an advanced pool player, and i think people like the mystery of pool and want to know more about the players who play this mysterious game.

jimM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
very good so far

So far you have given many interesting suggestions. Please keep going if there are more.

Thanks,
Jim

MDSPHOTO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if i had X amount of dollars to spend on a reality show that focused on pool.

id probably do something like anthony bordain. get a travelling pool player who travels the world to different pool halls and plays all sorts of different cue sports/games. maybe gamble or play tournaments etc. make sure the person has a good personality and can play good in multiple cue disciplines.

but in general, i think the show should be more genuine and less generic like 'the hustlers'. audiences immediately pick up on the cookie cutter reality show format and know its not real.

i think an audience would like to actually get to know the players. its not very often you meet an advanced pool player, and i think people like the mystery of pool and want to know more about the players who play this mysterious game.

This seems to be a very solid model. Bordain and all the other food hunters. There are now a number of alcohol shows where they travel to different bars/countries. Dirty jobs with Mike Rowe, etc. Find a likeable, or hateable, character, put em on the road visiting different pool halls around the country. Intro the pool hall, the types of players that reside there and put their best guy/gal against your guy/gal for a grand. Personally, I would recommend finding a relatively unknown attractive female with an interesting backstory that can play.