Rear Chuck

RSB-Refugee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DaveK said:
I imagine that the work should be nicely centered, but perhaps the bore would not be parallel. Of course it's just a hole as opposed to a fit, so non-parallel sides should not matter.
I think what you are saying is 'it's just a hole, why worry about it being centered?' At first your comment made sense, but I got to thinking, if it is not centered, it would be poorly balanced. Poor balance leads to vibration, which in turn leads to chatter.

Tracy

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
RSB-Refugee said:
I think what you are saying is 'it's just a hole, why worry about it being centered?' At first your comment made sense, but I got to thinking, if it is not centered, it would be poorly balanced. Poor balance leads to vibration, which in turn leads to chatter.

Tracy

Good point Tracy, I had not thought about the chucks balance. But I believe that the hole would be centered, just possibly a bit tapered.

Dave

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
> When installing a rear chuck on a lathe,how do you get it to run concentric with the front,and how much runout is acceptable here? Does the weight of a full sized chuck cause problems here,such as the spindle flexing from the barbell effect of having a heavy chuck on each end? How big should it be,and how big should an adapter be for safety reasons? Are there pitfalls to using a merely threaded sleeve,something that can be solved by locking pins/set screws mounted crosswise? Can the spindle be removed and mounted in another lathe to internally thread it,and what thread size should be used? Is there a specific distance that works best for rigidity/accuracy? On the Deluxe Cuesmith,how do you true the back chuck,and is it really neccessary? Tommy D.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tommy-D said:
> When installing a rear chuck on a lathe,how do you get it to run concentric with the front,and how much runout is acceptable here? Does the weight of a full sized chuck cause problems here,such as the spindle flexing from the barbell effect of having a heavy chuck on each end? How big should it be,and how big should an adapter be for safety reasons? Are there pitfalls to using a merely threaded sleeve,something that can be solved by locking pins/set screws mounted crosswise? Can the spindle be removed and mounted in another lathe to internally thread it,and what thread size should be used? Is there a specific distance that works best for rigidity/accuracy? On the Deluxe Cuesmith,how do you true the back chuck,and is it really neccessary? Tommy D.
When you get ready to true your jaws up on a Cue Smith call me so I can clearly explain how to do it.
Chris
www.cuesmith.com
www.internationalcuemakers.com