Recent Meucci original buy , assist?

feltdogee

I had a HOF-1 when I first started league play 25+ years back. For nostalgia I wanted to gain a similar cue again. I purchased this cue ( model 84-5?) with a group and am happy with it for the price. This is not a shooter for me but I am curious on peoples perspective. It was badly refinished and I am looking to get that redone. The close up of the two points shows the black is much lower on one point. Meucci responded quickly and expressed that they try to prevent these cues from leaving the factory it would happen back then. Here comes my interest in opinions, helpful please :).
1) Do you think the off points harm the value?
2) My HOF and my playing cue do not have a coated wrap. If refinishing is there a detriment to value to coating vs not coating the linen?
3) Suggestions on getting this refinished , Meucci and Proficient Billiards both show around the $120 mark. I have heard Meucci is slow on getting repairs returned.

I do not purchase or post here often but i do haunt the forums.
Thanks All,

Attachments

• IMG_20210114_181543.jpg
    IMG_20210114_181543.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_20210114_181804.jpg
    IMG_20210114_181804.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_20210114_182301.jpg
    IMG_20210114_182301.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_20210114_182442.jpg
    IMG_20210114_182442.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_20210114_181543.jpg
    IMG_20210114_181543.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_20210114_181804.jpg
    IMG_20210114_181804.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_20210114_182301.jpg
    IMG_20210114_182301.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_20210114_182442.jpg
    IMG_20210114_182442.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 192

Jimmy_Betmore

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would say the uneven points do knock some off the value. But I don't think it's going to be anything like 50% or even 25% drop. Unless it really bothers you I'd try not to worry about it.

As far as a refinish goes, I wouldn't send anything to Meucci. I've heard too many stories about their turnaround being absolute garbage. Proficient Billiards, however, is amazing. They'll probably have it back to you in about two weeks looking better than brand new. And finish/no finish over the wrap shouldn't change the value any since these cues could be ordered from Meucci without finish over the wrap.

sonoman

I have the same cue. I suggest having Muellers do the work. I have not had them do a refinish but based on other work they have done for me I bet it would look good. I had a bad experience with Meucci doing a refinish on my cue 15 years ago. It took a long time and many phone calls to get the cue back. I did keep the refinish original with the wrap being coated because I wanted to keep the cue in original condition. I don't think you will see much difference regarding resale value. I recently had Muellers make a shaft for my 84-5 with a standard pro taper, a 1/2 inch ferrule and a medium G2 tip. They also matched the ring work perfectly. I requested a 4 oz. with tight straight growth rings. The shaft is perfect. Like you it's still not my player but it is much better than the Meucci shaft and I actually like playing with it when I am just hitting a few by myself.
About the points. Uneven points are a concern for many. It could hurt resale but the resale of this cue is not a big money maker anyway.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
What Meucci is saying is that they let seconds go out of their plant. What you have is obviously a second.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The point issue will affect resale to some extent- it must be disclosed if you intend to sell it. Both Proficient and Muelllers will do a fine job for you on the refinish. Replacing the linen with coated or non coated linen is entirely up to you- if you intend to play with it and like an uncoated wrap than go with that choice. Coating the wrap will not add to resale value since it will be a refinished cue anyhow and you already have the points issue to deal with on a resale.

Do the cue the way you would like it for playability and then just enjoy it!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a HOF-1 when I first started league play 25+ years back. For nostalgia I wanted to gain a similar cue again. I purchased this cue ( model 84-5?) with a group and am happy with it for the price. This is not a shooter for me but I am curious on peoples perspective. It was badly refinished and I am looking to get that redone. The close up of the two points shows the black is much lower on one point. Meucci responded quickly and expressed that they try to prevent these cues from leaving the factory it would happen back then. Here comes my interest in opinions, helpful please :).
2) My HOF and my playing cue do not have a coated wrap. If refinishing is there a detriment to value to coating vs not coating the linen?
3) Suggestions on getting this refinished , Meucci and Proficient Billiards both show around the $120 mark. I have heard Meucci is slow on getting repairs returned.

Thanks All,
Hurt what value??

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
IMO, the points look even, but the black looks like overlay that was taken down too far on the last "refinish".

Squinting at this on a 5" screen. So could be mistaken.
The points are fine. Doesn’t hurt the value. I’d send it to Scott Erwin or Proficient. Might be a M-7 Meucci.
Those inner points aren't even close, that cue should have never left the shop

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
The points are normal for Meucci. Makes it more like one of a kind custom. Meucci has always done this. Many years ago I used to buy up factory 2nds from Steve Lomax at the Expo. As long as they play good, that’s all that matters. LOL
🤣🤣🤣

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thanks All,
What do you want for it like it is?

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
They certainly sold a LOT of 2nds back in the day. For a long time,they used to mark them by putting a shallow,very narrow groove in the butt sleeve by touching off with a parting tool. Tommy D.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hurt what value??

^^^^ Not to sound mean, but pretty much this. ^^^^

I’m a fan of Meucci and played a JR-2 for 30 years. I would never let it go for sentimental reasons, but if someone were to offer you $250 for that cue right now, you should probably take it and run.

If it was me, I would put a decent shaft on it and turn it into a great little car trunk player.

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The points are normal for Meucci. Makes it more like one of a kind custom. Meucci has always done this. Many years ago I used to buy up factory 2nds from Steve Lomax at the Expo. As long as they play good, that’s all that matters. LOL
I remember Steve Lomax selling them at the Expo, people were buying them up!