Recommendations for Cue Lathe

Ok everybody, let me know what I should be considering for a cue lathe.

Thinking about this one for simple tip replacements but worried that I will wish I invested in something more substantial.

Those that have been down this road, your comments and suggestions are welcome.

Keith E.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thinking about this one for simple tip replacements but worried that I will wish I invested in something more substantial.

CT,

I'd recommend getting one that is upgradeable. Start with the setup that meets your initial requirements. There are vendors that provide equipment like that where the only added expense for upgrading is the shipping cost for components purchased later on. As in, there's no discount for buying the do-it-all rigs up front. You pay for the extra components and shipping when you feel the need to upgrade.

Best of Luck,
Keith

JerseyBill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I've been down this road and recommend something a little more expensive that will at least let you do joint work and upgrade as discussed above:

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Chris' book is also a good start to read before you invest any money in a lathe:

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cranky Thunder, Howdy;

I like Mr. kling&allen's suggestion, basically gain some insight into what it is that you wish
to do and you'll be better able to make and informed decision. I've seen that same lathe
on the ebay in the past, so there is no hurry to get it. Take your time, it's your best ally.

hank

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cranky Thunder, Howdy;

I like Mr. kling&allen's suggestion, basically gain some insight into what it is that you wish
to do and you'll be better able to make and informed decision. I've seen that same lathe
on the ebay in the past, so there is no hurry to get it. Take your time, it's your best ally.

hank
hank/the basics is an upstanding guy
i respect his opinions

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
bbb.....You're welcome to test drive mine if you decide you might want one. I bought it for tips and cleaning shafts. Lately I have done joint protectors, canes/walking sticks, rings with it.

Attachments

• 559EA772-9F46-46B0-B443-E41096798A3E.jpeg
    559EA772-9F46-46B0-B443-E41096798A3E.jpeg
    168.6 KB · Views: 368
  • 7E58368E-F64F-41A3-8940-3DE3F846EDB2.jpeg
    7E58368E-F64F-41A3-8940-3DE3F846EDB2.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 396
  • F7A08B93-7EC8-448E-ACFB-91A901F6A608.jpeg
    F7A08B93-7EC8-448E-ACFB-91A901F6A608.jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 364
  • D8F5E24D-909C-4D5F-A5A3-98BF858C2B50.jpeg
    D8F5E24D-909C-4D5F-A5A3-98BF858C2B50.jpeg
    72.4 KB · Views: 423
  • A73FA7C9-AF85-4206-A98F-C968437E79C6.jpeg
    A73FA7C9-AF85-4206-A98F-C968437E79C6.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
bbb.....You're welcome to test drive mine if you decide you might want one. I bought it for tips and cleaning shafts. Lately I have done joint protectors, canes/walking sticks, rings with it.
thanks for the offer goldcrown .... (y)

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got the Mid America basic repair with the 250 watt motor upgrade, and couldn't be happier. No one in my area had a lathe for tip repairs that I knew of, and I like doing my own things anyway. Have replaced many tips, replaced ferrules, and retapered, resized, and cleaned a few shafts. All this can be done with the 250 watt motor, but I wouldn't mind having the 3/4 hp motor. I did have extensive previous woodworking and lathe experience, so learning curve was short. Was it cost justifiable, no, but it is really enjoyable being able to do your on thing, with a quality machine, and get a better result than anyone locally provides.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Good looking ring, well done (y)

Funny. Buy a lathe to make money and need a part time to support it. A great hobby if not for income.

LOL, that's the conclusion I came to for me also. When my life slows down I will start making cues that I like and if they sell, great, if not, no worries.

When I'm looking at things to do for money I think of the gold miners, a miniscule amount of them got rich (if any) but the people supplying them did pretty well ;)

JerseyBill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been down this road and recommend something a little more expensive that will at least let you do joint work and upgrade as discussed above:

Cuesmith lathes are used in conjunction with larger metal lathes to make cues. Can't hurt to buy one and if in the future you want to make cues you can get another lathe and keep the one you have for other operations.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?

I had this struggle as well and looked at that same lathe. Since covid started I got the bright idea that I could build my own lathe for general maintenance. In the process of building the lathe I had to add some new tools to help with the build. My genius plan was to spend hundreds of dollars and months of time to save $20 for someone else to change my tip. I like the satisfaction of doing things myself if it is within my ability. A professional is needed for many things, but many other things are doable. Sometimes I get delusional and venture into the wrong territory though. Many things may be doable but require the right equipment to do it right or to be efficient. I succeeded in building the lathe and it is adequate for cleaning the shaft and tip installs. When my last daughter moved out, I moved everything into that room, so now the spare room is a workroom full of new tools. Guests will get the couch or blow-up right now. I've since made other things in my new workshop, like cue rests and chalk holders.

I've spent way more on new equipment than what I have produced is worth monetarily. I look at it as money spent on a hobby so it's fine. Plus, new equipment can be used for other things in the future too...

Now I've been eyeing up the Mid America lathe. If I was younger, I would definitely have interest in learning how to build a cue. I realize the time needed to perfect that skill is not realistic. General maintenance, ferrules and tips, even making joint protectors would be fun and within my current skill set.

Most hobbies are money pits, but if I get a couple bucks back now and then, why not?

tykcarp57

So I have an old wood lathe 12x36”. I need to know what parts I need to do tips and cleaning of the shafts. Basic. Not trying to cut cues or anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
So I have an old wood lathe 12x36”. I need to know what parts I need to do tips and cleaning of the shafts. Basic. Not trying to cut cues or anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You'll want one of these maintenance arbors that is held in your headstock and screws into the shaft:

http://www.cuefits.com/index.php?route=product/product&search=arbor&product_id=142&search=arbor (this is radial, you'll want one for whatever thread shafts you are working on)

You'll want a steady rest to hold the shaft near the tip. You can make your own, but you can find a few simple ones on ebay depending on your wood lathe:

You'll want something on your tailstock to hold and press the tip while glueing. And something to cut and trim the tip on your toolrest. There are youtube videos with some good examples.

I'm always in favor of experimenting and trying to make stuff, but I think you'll get responses here saying this is a fool's errand. There are specialty cue repair lathes:

Or even full cue lathes of course. And some here will say that these are all toy lathes, and that you should be making your cues on a 2-ton Bridgeport kneemill or a 5-axis CNC. All these are options.