Recovering barbox with simonis 760 adhesive help

knuckleduster

Registered
I bought some 3m super 77 spray adhesive per the advise of the shop I purchased the cloth from.
Everything im seeing online is saying to use 3m fastbond 10 on simonos cloth for glue down methods.
I have no problem doing that but I cant find the stuff anywhere...
Is it essential to do it with the fastbond or will the super 77 work?
this is my first bar box recover and my first time using Simonis...
I recovered a pool table before using glue but it was a three piece slate using standard cloth- this stuff seems alot harder to stretch.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I bought some 3m super 77 spray adhesive per the advise of the shop I purchased the cloth from.
Everything im seeing online is saying to use 3m fastbond 10 on simonos cloth for glue down methods.
I have no problem doing that but I cant find the stuff anywhere...
Is it essential to do it with the fastbond or will the super 77 work?
this is my first bar box recover and my first time using Simonis...
I recovered a pool table before using glue but it was a three piece slate using standard cloth- this stuff seems alot harder to stretch.

Go to the seyberts.com Web site and purchase the Simonis Cloth installing DVDs.

a1712

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
People complain about the speed of 860 and 760 is faster. Most complaints about Diamond's are that they're to fast and guys say they're always putting the balls around, I personally like it. I don't know if I'd like 760 speed though. Brian.

knuckleduster

Registered
People complain about the speed of 860 and 760 is faster. Most complaints about Diamond's are that they're to fast and guys say they're always putting the balls around, I personally like it. I don't know if I'd like 760 speed though. Brian.

I initially wanted the 860 HR they said that they had to 760 on the shelf and it was pretty much the same?!?
I see now from doing some research this a lot of people say the 760 is a lot faster I don't know if I'm going to like that or not I'm used to playing on Diamond tables and I told them I wanted something comparable to that.

knuckleduster

Registered

I initially wanted the 860 HR they said that they had to 760 on the shelf and it was pretty much the same?!?
I see now from doing some research this a lot of people say the 760 is a lot faster I don't know if I'm going to like that or not I'm used to playing on Diamond tables and I told them I wanted something comparable to that.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
If you are going to do this, do it right. Not sure what type of table you have but if it is a Dynamo look into the ridgeback rails.

Ridge back and 760 will be as close to a Diamond as a Dynamo can get.

knuckleduster

Registered
After reading up on it im thinking I wont be happy with the 760... According to everything i've read it's too fast for 9 ball and more geared towarda straight pool or one pocket....
Kinda pisses me off the guy would tell me its all basically the same.
How big of a deal would it be having 760 on the rails and 860 on the bed? Or should I just start over from scratch and do them both over again?

Poolhalljunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
760 rails

Isn't that combo that earl and shane played with on the 10ft table? Everybody called it a Gaffe setup, the bass will play differently off the rails.

Poolhalljunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Simonis

I would also use the 3M10 glue over the spray 77 just my opinion. It has a stronger tensile strength, and you won't have to be afraid of the cloth moving when you pull it tight.

knuckleduster

Registered
Contact for Ridgeback.

http://www.ridgebackrails.com/index.html

They may have rails for this type of table.

I would stick with the same cloth for the rails and bed. Remember too, the speed of the table is not determined exclusively by the cloth alone.

I already had all my cushions replaced.
I did call ridgeback, unfortunately they didnt have anything for united tables but did offer to custom make me some if I chose to send them my rails.

alaskanadams

Registered

Just curious, why do some people use glue on new cloth and others do not? Also what are the advantages and disadvantages? Lastly to Realkingcobra what do you prefer and what does simonis recommend? :thumbup:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
After reading up on it im thinking I wont be happy with the 760... According to everything i've read it's too fast for 9 ball and more geared towarda straight pool or one pocket....
Kinda pisses me off the guy would tell me its all basically the same.
How big of a deal would it be having 760 on the rails and 860 on the bed? Or should I just start over from scratch and do them both over again?

Sometimes, sales people can suck. Sometimes.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
First of all I want to say that there's a reason why United coin op pool tables are no longer manufacturing, as they went out of business, because they didn't build one of the top 5 coin operated pool tables. Valley, Dynamo, Quality Billiards, Brunswick, Delta and Global all built much better pool tables. With that being said, anyone will sell the OP anything that will make them some money, even if it's being sold to go on a polished turd.

Now for the 760 cloth and how fast it plays. I pioneered the Simonis 760 cloth in the Pacific Northwest back in the mid 80's by installing it on about a thousand bar tables a year, then every other service company there was in my area started using it as well. The only complaint I ever had with it was the ball burnishing marks everywhere on the cloth within the first 90 days of use, had no problems with the speed of the cloth.....because I also fixed the rails to play right. What you guys don't seem to understand is that the playing surface speed of 760 is just a little faster than 860, meaning with a ramp meter a cue ball will roll 39" on 760 as opposed to 36" on 860, not much of a difference. The speed of a table that everyone likes to complain about, especially on older Diamonds is from the cushion and sub rail design, and that has nothing to do with the actual playing surface of the table....until the rails come into the picture. I can take any pool table playing super fast, and slow it down quite a bit by just redesigning the rails to slow it down, without ever changing the bed cloth....so, think about that for a minute.

Last edited:

rjb1168

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We used 3M super 77 and it came out good. Getting the stretch correct is key, I watched many video's on youtube before installing it. With the ridgeback rails and simonis 760 it plays about as good as any valley I have ever played on. Ours is a 1960 valley 7ft and it will due until we buy a Diamond, make sure your rails are set at the correct height 1 7/16 to the center of rail nose and torque rail bolts to 60-65 inch pounds. We also purchased a new set of aramith balls. GOOD Luck :thumbup: