Refinish A Carbon Fiber Butt

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Becue butt that I may like to “spruce up” a bit.

It is the “Naked” model, which is simply clear coat over the carbon fiber and you can see the weave under the finish.

I am wondering how hard it would be to sand off (or whatever would be the process) the finish and then paint the segment where a handle would normally be with Snow White paint and then clear coat the entire butt again.

I want it to look like a hi-tech “Jackpot”. :) :) :)

Last edited:

PariahZero

I love start with: I’m not a cue maker. I do know a fair bit about painting modern composites, though.

An auto body or (better) custom auto body shop has the equipment, experience, and materials to do the job properly and give a professional result. They may not be a cue smith, but they do finish carbon fiber and fiberglass all the time. (Including odd shapes like helmets, radio-controlled aircraft, motorcycle fenders & tanks, etc.)

And hiring a custom shop may actually cost less than DIY, given the cost of equipment alone.

Your biggest problem is the clearcoat at the end. The clears you can get at a hardware or auto parts store are crap. They yellow over time, get sticky, and don’t have the shine you’d want.

The best clear is automotive 2k clear. It’s also liquid evil. Think of it as a chemical weapon and you start to have an idea the kind of protection equipment required. It absorbs through skin, eyes, and of course by inhaling. It does not like the human body at all. I’ve had two relatives including my father in law permanently injured from the stuff. It is not for DIY’ers.

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Becue butt that I may like to “spruce up” a bit.

It is the “Naked” model, which is simply clear coat over the carbon fiber and you can see the weave under the finish.

I am wondering how hard it would be to sand off (or whatever would be the process) the finish and then paint the segment where a handle would normally be with Snow White paint and then clear coat the entire butt again.

I want it to look like a hi-tech “Jackpot”. :) :) :)
I think that would be cool, especially an automobile Pearl White.