Regaining focus

14oneman

Straight, no chaser!
Silver Member
A gentleman approached me last night, and asked if I'd like to play some 9 ball for a nominal fee. I told him that I wasn't all that fond of 9 ball, but I would gladly play a quick 100 point game of straight. He agreed as long as I broke. Right from the start this guy was SOOOOOOOOO SLOOOOOOOOOW! I mean he would make Tim Conway's "old man" character on the Carol Burnett Show look like Jesse Owens by comparison!It probably took him a minute each time he rechalked his cue. I almost dosed off a couple of times waiting for him to shoot. I realize this is some peoples way of "sharking", by taking you out of YOUR rhythm, but I don't think that was his MO. He was just in perpetual "Prozak" mode.:eek: I eventually won, but my biggest struggle wasn't with his shooting skills, it was with MYSELF, trying to stay focused. I found myself checking out the "Babe" in the mini skirt on the next table, laying out for a stretch shot, rather than the task at hand. VERY frustrating! :mad: ( Nice view though! LOL!) :D

My question is: What do you all do to maintain or regain your focus, once bordom sets in?

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is really really hard to concentrate on one thing all the time, particularly when there are distractions nearby. You can't do anything about the outcome of the game while your opponent is shooting.

Concentrate on one thing at a time:

The table when you are shooting, the babe when you're not.
A change is as good as a rest. :D

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
ol' Joe once more

I used to play a fellow by the name of ol'Joe. Joe wasn't just moving kind of slow, he inched around the table. Then he shot every shot so that the ball never lost contact with the bevel. He was capable of running out and when he did it seemed to take an eternity. He was beating me at first because he just took me completely out of my game. The reason was that I didn't shift gears when I left the table.

Once I started watching his performance as a spectator instead of being in a rush for him to let me back on the table I was much more mentally prepared to shoot when it was my turn. My solution for boredom is to avoid it. Once you really lose interest in the game or match it is hard to get it back.

Hu

14oneman said:
A gentleman approached me last night, and asked if I'd like to play some 9 ball for a nominal fee. I told him that I wasn't all that fond of 9 ball, but I would gladly play a quick 100 point game of straight. He agreed as long as I broke. Right from the start this guy was SOOOOOOOOO SLOOOOOOOOOW! I mean he would make Tim Conway's "old man" character on the Carol Burnett Show look like Jesse Owens by comparison!It probably took him a minute each time he rechalked his cue. I almost dosed off a couple of times waiting for him to shoot. I realize this is some peoples way of "sharking", by taking you out of YOUR rhythm, but I don't think that was his MO. He was just in perpetual "Prozak" mode.:eek: I eventually won, but my biggest struggle wasn't with his shooting skills, it was with MYSELF, trying to stay focused. I found myself checking out the "Babe" in the mini skirt on the next table, laying out for a stretch shot, rather than the task at hand. VERY frustrating! :mad: ( Nice view though! LOL!) :D

My question is: What do you all do to maintain or regain your focus, once bordom sets in?

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
14oneman said:

Straightman,
Assuming you already know the prime directive (don't play with those freakin' slow players unless you just can't avoid it); there are lots of good strategies already mentioned.

To amplify on the "babe-watching" method; I do think that many slow players enjoy being the center of attention. They often can't make 3 balls in a row, and they like holding center stage - slow play is their only recourse. I REFUSE to watch them until they are down on the ball, I REFUSE to talk with them while it's their inning (unless absolutely necessary), I REFUSE to show ANY interest in their interminable planning and fussing over imagined dilemmas. Watch them intently while they are down (for fouls), then QUICKLY AND OBVIOUSLY look away as soon as they are done pocketing a ball.

As in golf, you do not have to be focused for the whole match, JUST for the period of time you are planning and shooting. Learn to rest when it's not your inning, learn to focus when it is. Take time to smell the flowers (or watch the hot babe at the next table if you don't like flowers).

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
I don't

play any slow players for money anymore, it's like a root canal ... lol
One reason I quit league 2 1/2 years ago. Sometimes in a big tournament, I will run into one.

Used to play a guy in league all the time. Slow as Methusaleh. He could not walk around the table without 1 arm on the table and leaning on it as he went around the table and around the table with every step. I had to grit my teeth several times.

PROG8R

Gator Nation
Silver Member
BABE!! MINISKIRT!!
Who cares wht that other guy was doing?
I avoid slow players like the plague, if it wasnt that much money I would have told him to take a hike lifes too short for that crap and heres your dough. Its not worth the wait, but you had a hottie right next to ya, so order up a cold one and chill with the view.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Slow league players

Up until last week I had never attended a league tournament nor had I ever played in them. However a friend of mine was missing player on his team so he asked me to sub, which I agreed. As it turned out I wasn't allowed to play, but that's another story. I stuck around to watch my friends matches and it was painful to watch.

His opponent would get up to shoot and they would agonize over absolutely everything. If the angle was not straight they would take a minute to study it and line up the shot. When I say a minute I am being literal here. I would be chatting with someone on the sidelines after a few minutes I would look up and see that this person still hadn't shot yet! C'mon this is freakin bar table pool!

It wasn't just this one player there were a lot that played like this. I don't play leagues as mentioned before, but if ever I needed another reason to not play this would be it.

As far as the original posters question goes. Don't play slow players if you can avoid it. But if you can't here is what I have been working on:

When you get out of your chair take time to survey the table and plan out your run. Don't be in too much of a hurry to shoot, that will lead to some mistakes. Make the table your own again.

Also don't worry about it. Slow play only bothers you because you let it. Every time I have been sharked by slow players, its because I sat in my chair frowning and pouting that my opponent was taking such a long time. That attitude unfortunately followed me to the table.