regardless of your system why are backcuts seemingly tougher

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just last night I was setting up some back cuts. I tried TOI just for the heck of it. Object ball and cue about 6ft apart. Object ball was maybe a foot off the rail center diamond. Cue ball about a foot off the rail, center diamond. Wasn't aiming exactly center object ball but close. Just played about 1 1'2 to 2 tips of inside english. Dang if I wasn't cutting it in. Granted I would never trust this method myself except in practice but it was working last night.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Just last night I was setting up some back cuts. I tried TOI just for the heck of it. Object ball and cue about 6ft apart. Object ball was maybe a foot off the rail center diamond. Cue ball about a foot off the rail, center diamond. Wasn't aiming exactly center object ball but close. Just played about 1 1'2 to 2 tips of inside english. Dang if I wasn't cutting it in. Granted I would never trust this method myself except in practice but it was working last night.

I've cut them in when the OB is nearly on the short rail & 3 diamonds from the corner on the other side of the table with the CB 'all' the way on the other end of the table & basically parallel but the better angle is to the long corner if you know what I mean. For those the alignment is CTE & with that I've overcut them. So... I changed the alignment to Center of CB to the outside 1/4 of the OB. It's been working very very well. One just has to hit firm enough to keep any swerve out of the picture.

Keep hitting & making them in practice & soon you'll be using it when it counts.

Best 2 You...& All,
Rick

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

1 1/2 to 2 tips of inside might be a large range. If anyone attempts that shot, the results depends on the deflection of the shooter's shaft. After several successful makes, he should find the exact tip offset that works for him.

Try it and like it.
Be well.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've cut them in when the OB is nearly on the short rail & 3 diamonds from the corner on the other side of the table with the CB 'all' the way on the other end of the table & basically parallel but the better angle is to the long corner if you know what I mean. For those the alignment is CTE & with that I've overcut them. So... I changed the alignment to Center of CB to the outside 1/4 of the OB. It's been working very very well. One just has to hit firm enough to keep any swerve out of the picture.

Keep hitting & making them in practice & soon you'll be using it when it counts.

Best 2 You...& All,
Rick

Rick...kudos.
Wow! 90 degree cut along the rail. If you use TOI, even if you miss going in, you will kiss the OB coming back off the rail and not foul. You might just Greek the OB in. LOL

Be well.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Rick...kudos.
Wow! 90 degree cut along the rail. If you use TOI, even if you miss going in, you will kiss the OB coming back off the rail and not foul. You might just Greek the OB in. LOL

Be well.

Thanks E.

But I would not say any were 90*.

But I would say they were 85 & up. Like I said or tried to say the longer pocket was the better angle. That's why I went the long way on them instead of to the closer corner which I would deem 'impossible'. If I could not cut to the long corner I'd have to come up with a bank of some kind.

TOI is great for long thin cuts. It takes a lot of pressure off as the 'aiming' part is gone as is the pressure for a perfect stroke. It's CTC or CTE & I've added Center to the outside 1/4 as I'm using a low deflection shaft & I can't quite get enough squirt for the ones that are on the inside of the edge alignment but but way out from the center alignment.

I'm saying this more for others that might be interested than You.

Stay Well,
Rick

swest

goldmember
Silver Member
regardless of your system why are backcuts seemingly tougher
your thoughts appreciated.....:wink:
(any tips to make them appreciated...:thumbup:)

I think the best work in this area has been by Phil Capelle. He talks about the "shot picture".

I went looking for something of his that I could link in to this discussion, and came across the perfect little snippet (it's a little dated, and refers to his, at that time unnamed, book, "Practicing Pool"). You can see the PDF of the preview here. Take a look at page 2. If you have a copy of the published book, this material appears in Chapter 4 ("Shotmaking & Aiming"), on page 78.

I'll include the relevant text and image from that section (NB: The following is from the published book, and differs slightly from the linked PDF):

A Tale of Two Cut Shots

Up till now the Shot Pictures have been pretty basic. Now you’ll see the concept come alive as it illuminates the differences in some routine shots. Viewing different Shot Pictures will give you a clear idea of how important it is to learn and remember the various positions of the balls on the table. Remember, what you see is what you shoot!

This diagram proves the value of using recognizable Shot Pictures in aiming. Both shots are theoretically the same: the object balls are the same distance from the cue balls and the pocket, and each shot is a 30-degree cut angle. Even though the “specs” are the same, the shots are very dissimilar. Why? Because their Shot Pictures are totally different. Shot A is a backcut (more on this in a moment) with a very wide angled Shot Picture. Shot B is a rail shot with a very narrow Shot Picture.

Capelle_sml_zpsf4bjsyrr.jpg

This is a great book, and I highly recommend it.

- s.west

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There is no such thing as a 'back' cut. !

There are left cuts and right cuts. This is why you fail !

I think the best work in this area has been by Phil Capelle. He talks about the "shot picture".

I went looking for something of his that I could link in to this discussion, and came across the perfect little snippet (it's a little dated, and refers to his, at that time unnamed, book, "Practicing Pool"). You can see the PDF of the preview here. Take a look at page 2. If you have a copy of the published book, this material appears in Chapter 4 ("Shotmaking & Aiming"), on page 78.

I'll include the relevant text and image from that section (NB: The following is from the published book, and differs slightly from the linked PDF):

Capelle_sml_zpsf4bjsyrr.jpg

This is a great book, and I highly recommend it.

- s.west

master yoda
i beleive in the force....:D......:thumbup:
s.west thanks for making it tangeable.....:D....:thumbup:

here is some text from that pdf
Set up the shots in the identical positions and shoot each one 10 times.
I’ll wager that the shots don’t look even close to being the same when you’re down
in your stance. Furthermore, I’ll bet that you make Shot B more often providing you
are shooting on a table with regulation pockets. This shows that our familiarity with
a shot and the use of the rails as visual reference points are both vital in shotmaking.
( as others mentioned sentence bolded for emphasis)

im really enjoying and learning from the discussion
thanks to all the responders......:thumbup:

Last edited:

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
I really have no idea what I just read here.

1 . Stick your cue stick on the extended line connecting to the ob contact point and the cue ball contact point (the initial reference points used in parallel aim).

2. Rather than a parallel shift to center, swivel the cue by moving the stroke hand to point the cue tip at center cue ball while doing a visual sweep. This will give you a "thick angle feel" for those little backwards cuts on a steep angle where the cue ball is close to the object ball, rather than aiming off into the blue thin to hit them.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
1 . Stick your cue stick on the extended line connecting to the ob contact point and the cue ball contact point (the initial reference points used in parallel aim).

2. Rather than a parallel shift to center, swivel the cue by moving the stroke hand to point the cue tip at center cue ball while doing a visual sweep. This will give you a "thick angle feel" for those little backwards cuts on a steep angle where the cue ball is close to the object ball, rather than aiming off into the blue thin to hit them.
Is this supposed to work? And what does "doing a visual sweep" mean?

pj
chgo

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I use the swivel to center to get a slight over cut. I usually under cut back cuts and the pivot compensates nicely when aiming the mirror image alignment. Especially to the left because I'm right eye dominant. My brain fights to keep my left eye, which I should be using to aim shots to the left, from seeing the shot picture.

Best,
Mike

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I use the swivel to center to get a slight over cut. I usually under cut back cuts and the pivot compensates nicely when aiming the mirror image alignment. Especially to the left because I'm right eye dominant. My brain fights to keep my left eye, which I should be using to aim shots to the left, from seeing the shot picture.

Best,
Mike

Hi Mike,

That is sort of what Gene told me left for left & right for right. I was having trouble with constantly switching. I contacted Gene & told him that. I told him that I was trying to just use my left eye for both. He said that's fine & actually better because that's the eye that I'm seeing the true straight line with anyway.

It was a bit of a struggle at first but it's become more natural. Yet, I do have an occasional shot where I get down & see it directly & peripherally at the same time. Man is that weird & you should see it. I just had one Monday & I just stayed down & shot it where the was & It went dead center.

I just thought I'd relay that for consideration.

Best 2 Ya...& All,
Rick

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Mike,

That is sort of what Gene told me left for left & right for right. I was having trouble with constantly switching. I contacted Gene & told him that. I told him that I was trying to just use my left eye for both. He said that's fine & actually better because that's the eye that I'm seeing the true straight line with anyway.

It was a bit of a struggle at first but it's become more natural. Yet, I do have an occasional shot where I get down & see it directly & peripherally at the same time. Man is that weird & you should see it. I just had one Monday & I just stayed down & shot it where the was & It went dead center.

Best 2 Ya...& All,
Rick

Close the other eye to check.
Be well.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ghost rail? I thought pivoting to an imaginary point made the ball center pocket.

You think its imaginary, I don't, and it does. Never hurts to have other tools in the shed. It's called having an open mind to learning, you should try it sometime.

Banks

Banned
You think its imaginary, I don't, and it does. Never hurts to have other tools in the shed. It's called having an open mind to learning, you should try it sometime.

Obviously it doesn't work if you need other tricks to make a ball. I do have an open mind. Though, i do admit to having a problem accepting outlandish, ridiculous and unproven claims. Unless it's marked, it's imaginary, because you're still having to create the point in your mind's eye.

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Mike,

Best 2 Ya...& All,
Rick

Hey Rick,

I tried to go completely lining up shots with my right eye, but my brain get going back to a blended image. I just make sure on my shots that are thinner cuts that I "let" my left eye in on the sighting.

Some nights it's easy, other nights I have to focus to do it. Like LAMas said, I have to blink/close my left eye or right eye to get a picture going that I can acknowledge. The mind is really tenacious when it wants to do something.

I tell students in sparring class that are having trouble hitting targets with kicks or punches to think briefly of their target long before they engage. When the opportunity comes, they'll automatically hit their target with speed and accuracy, instead of hitting wherever their strike happens to land.

In pool, my psr starts with getting my dominant eye in the best possible position to see the shot. If I'm cutting a thinner cut to the left, I think about letting my left eye into the visualization.

That's also why the stick aiming system works. You use both eyes equally and the dominant eye has to allow this setup. Players that like to use one eye for most of their aiming or never considered using their passive eye don't pick up the idea very easily. When you align, the final setup is exactly the same as Geno's Perfect Aim finish, which validates his findings.

Best,
Mike

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Obviously it doesn't work if you need other tricks to make a ball. I do have an open mind. Though, i do admit to having a problem accepting outlandish, ridiculous and unproven claims. Unless it's marked, it's imaginary, because you're still having to create the point in your mind's eye.

CTE is tried tested and proven, so I really don't know what your talking about. At this point the outlandish,ridiculous and unproven claims are coming from the non users. CTE is all laid out in color for the world to see, open your mind and enjoy.