removing bent pin

James Sarenich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a cue that has a bent or crooked joint pin (5/16-18). Before I get going on replacing, is there any tricks to getting the pin out. I just bought a lathe so this is going to be my first project. The cue has 2 shafts and I was also thinking of changing the pin size so if I do I would also have to change the inserts. Any advise there. Thank you Jim

Russell Cues

Maverick Cue Builder
Silver Member
Well there are a few ways you can do this, one way is to use a pencil torch and slowly heat the pin until it "breaks loose". I have replaced only one pin that way. Now I will cut the pin off as close to flush and use carbide bits and drill it out and then use a boring bar from there.

If you decide to change the pin size you can use the same method in getting the incert out. If you decide to keep the same pin size, imo I would bore the hole oversize and plug it and start fresh from scratch.

My 2 cents.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
I have a cue that has a bent or crooked joint pin (5/16-18). Before I get going on replacing, is there any tricks to getting the pin out. I just bought a lathe so this is going to be my first project. The cue has 2 shafts and I was also thinking of changing the pin size so if I do I would also have to change the inserts. Any advise there. Thank you Jim

Jim depending on how bad the pin is bent some cue makers would first try to straighten it. You can do this a couple of ways, first you can heat it up a little bit while chucked up in the lathe and tap the high point lightly with a rubber mallet, of you can do the same thing without heating it.

If this doesn't work heat the tip of the pin with a torch. Normally when I heat a pin keep my hand on the front of the joint collar. If it gets hot I stop heating it because it can cause additional damage to the cues joint if you allow it to get too hot. Once I think the pin is hot and the glue has melted I put the cue in a vise and grab the cues pin as close to the joint as possible and attempt to turn the pin out, some people use plyers, but I think the vise give you more leverage. It may take a couple of times heating it to get the glue / epoxy to let loose.

Once I get the pin out I normally drill out the hole over sized and plug it before drilling and tapping to put a new pin in. I do this because you can't see if any internal damage occurred when the pin was bent. The size of the hole will depend upon the size of the new pin that you plan to install. If you are going from 5/16-14 from 5/16-18 all you have to do is retapp the current shaft inserts 5/16-14, because the size of either is same, and your only changing the thread count and the pitch. If you are going to one of the big pins you will have to drill out the insert and insert a wood plug then drill and tap it to your new pin size.

Hope this helps

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Another option you have, and this depends on who's near to you, is to take the project to a competent C-Tec (key word here being 'competent') and tell him you'll pay him to do it as long as he lets you watch & learn. You'll pay him and your client will reimburse you. You won't be out any money and you'll have gotten an education first-hand for free.

If the guy's good, keep taking him work on this basis, that you get to watch & learn. After a while, when your knowledge and confidence are right, you won't need to take him anymore work.
He shouldn't mind though because he didn't have your business before you showed-up anyway.
He can't be out anything he never had in the first place. First-hand knowledge is a beautiful thing. Particularly when it's free.

Last edited:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Jim depending on how bad the pin is bent some cue makers would first try to straighten it. You can do this a couple of ways, first you can heat it up a little bit while chucked up in the lathe and tap the high point lightly with a rubber mallet, of you can do the same thing without heating it.

you can also use your dial indicator on the pin, find the high side and push it with your cutting bit on the tool post....I'd prefer it to a mallet.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with KJ, Just be honest and up front with the guy. A little bit of honesty goes a long way.