Removing deep chalk marks on cue ball

JAMSGOLF

Golf & Pool-I'm addicted!
Silver Member
I'm sure this has been questioned and posted ad nauseam...but even with the search function, I couldn't find a thread on it.

Is there a way to eliminate the seemingly deeply imbedded chalk marks on a cue ball? Is it only into the wax finish on the ball...where the wax could be removed with a mild abrasive...or, has the chalk been permanently imbedded into the resin itself?

The balls in question for me are a red dot cue ball for Centennials and an Aramith Measle cue ball. I just switched to Magic Chalk and bought a new Aramith cue ball, so I'm hoping the switch helps with future issues, but I'd like to see what I can do about the two older balls.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Are you cleaning by machine or by hand? If by hand, what I do is squirt some of the cleaner into a small ziplock bag, then drop the ball in the bag and clean it that way. Wipe clean with a damp cloth.

That's what I was looking for...thanks so much! ;)

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
We use Purell at the tournaments on the Accu-Stats table.. worked on the old leather marks and chalk marks both... Cannot comment on the aramith cleaner as we have it in the ball box but never use it.....

martind2112

Registered
If by hand, what I do is squirt some of the cleaner into a small ziplock bag, then drop the ball in the bag and clean it that way.
That's a good idea. I tried using the Aramith Ball Cleaner on a rag, but that didn't that care of the stubburn chalk marks.

I've had amazing results by scrubbing using only the tip of my finger and the palm of my hands with sodium bicarbonate and just a tiny amount of water to form a paste. Those chalk marks that you would think are embedded in the resin as the OP suggests, are lifted away very easily by the "paste" with minimal gentle scrubbing.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try a paste mixture of baking soda and water......do not make the paste too runny....... vigorously rub the spots with the paste using a scouring pad (non-metallic).....might take a couple of tries......then apply Aramith polish to restore the sheen and lustre.

Matt B,

JAMSGOLF

Silver Member
Try Aramith Ball Cleaner. If it's really bad, then Aramith Ball Restorer.

I Googled and read the reviews on the Ball Restorer...reviews say this stuff gets out the "deep" marks...

Are you cleaning by machine or by hand? If by hand, what I do is squirt some of the cleaner into a small ziplock bag, then drop the ball in the bag and clean it that way. Wipe clean with a damp cloth.

I do have one of the 5-gal bucket cleaners...which works very well, with the exception of those really "deep" chalk marks on the cue ball only.

We use Purell at the tournaments on the Accu-Stats table.. worked on the old leather marks and chalk marks both... Cannot comment on the aramith cleaner as we have it in the ball box but never use it.....

I use the Purell for the black marks and it does take the surface chalk marks off also...can't stand those black marks!!! But it doesn't go deep enough for the "deep" chalk...

Magic eraser works.

I'll have to give this one a shot...didn't think it would get the deep ones out though...

A multiple-surface nail buffer works great. Tommy D.

I'm not gonna lie Tommy...this one scares me...I'd be afraid of ending up with a cue ball that looks like a golf ball with all the dimples! :D

Try a paste mixture of baking soda and water......do not make the paste too runny....... vigorously rub the spots with the paste using a scouring pad (non-metallic).....might take a couple of tries......then apply Aramith polish to restore the sheen and lustre.

Matt B,

That's a good idea. I tried using the Aramith Ball Cleaner on a rag, but that didn't that care of the stubburn chalk marks.

I've had amazing results by scrubbing using only the tip of my finger and the palm of my hands with sodium bicarbonate and just a tiny amount of water to form a paste. Those chalk marks that you would think are embedded in the resin as the OP suggests, are lifted away very easily by the "paste" with minimal gentle scrubbing.

Matt and Martin - I had wondered about using Scratch X 2.0 on the cue balls. The Sodium Bicarbonate...I'm guessing...is acting like a SUPER mild abrasive...similar to what the Scratch X is...but I've been too chicken to try it without someone else's input first! I was too aprehensive that it would permanently effect the surface of the ball and not be able to be brought back to a luster in the polisher afterwards. :p

JAMSGOLF

Silver Member
Magic eraser will also take the sheen off those balls since its equivalent to 1500-2000 grit sandpaper.

This right here is my biggest concern with any of these ideas...is how to get those deep marks out and still be able to bring the luster back afterward...

JAMSGOLF

Silver Member
Okay, so the suggestions about the sodium bicarbonate gave me the confidence to try the Scratch X 2.0 on the cue balls. (For those who don't know, it's main use is for taking minor scratches out of a car's finished paint job.)

Here's a pic of the results...bottom line it worked. I didn't put it into the polisher yet (it's too early here and everyone else is still in bed!)...but the polishing compound makes it sheen anyway.

So, I guess we can add this one to the list of what works as well!

The cue ball on the left is a brand new unplayed Aramith...and the first pic is a "before" pic...

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR TAKING THE TIME TO WRITE WHAT WORKS FOR THEM!!!

IMG_0984.jpg

IMG_0985.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
This will get the job done. 1/2 horsepower of chalk removing power.
If it doesn't, then what the other guys said will probably work. :smile:

Attachments

• MLW_2680-20.jpg
    MLW_2680-20.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 1,099

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Magic eraser will also take the sheen off those balls since its equivalent to 1500-2000 grit sandpaper.

If it causes them to go out of round - however slightly - no thanks.

I use soap, water and a paper towel.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I have not tried it, my Diamond polisher does all the hard work for me but Westleys Bleech White white wall tire cleaner might work. It is not abrasive, I use it for all kinds of stuff around the shop, some things that Carb Clean and Brake Kleen (only the non-chlorinated is worth using) will not touch will be sparkling clean after using Bleech White. I mention it because my desk in my shop is made from white Melamine, the only thing that seems to clean it good is Bleech White. My boss also uses it to clean lawnmowers, it is extremely effective at getting rid of grass stains.

Last edited:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Someone else recommended magic eraser. I didn't, I just pointed out the equivalent grit rating. It works great on the shafts of my cues. I tried it on the butt part of my cue, and noticed it dulled the finish. So, I don't recommend it for new balls that still have the luster.

For cleaning I had good results with Aramith's Ball Cleaner.
http://www.seyberts.com/products/Aramith_Ball_Cleaner-380-179.html

For stubborn stains, this is Aramith's second level product.
http://www.seyberts.com/products/Aramith_Billiard_Ball_Restorer-104002-179.html

If it causes them to go out of round - however slightly - no thanks.

I use soap, water and a paper towel.