Removing more weight from cue

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
I have removed the weight bolt from my cue and now, it is around 18 oz. Would like to get it down to 17 or, perhaps 16. Only way I can imagine is finding some woodworker with a lathe who could bore out some wood from the butt. Suggestion? Thanks

I too like a lighter cue. I have and Al Romero sneaky pete that weighs right around 15 oz. It is one of a few Al Romero cues that I have owned over the years. Many people try it and like them and then I end up selling it and eventually buying another one. If you can't find anything and don't want to drill your cue I would consider selling you my cue if interested.

If I were you I would look for a lighter cue or have one made to your specs rather than drill out your current cue.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I looked around for several months and found a cue maker with a metal lathe. My P3 (Predator) has a 9/16" threaded weight bolt hole that is (was) about 3" deep. I purchased two 1/2" drill bits - a spade and spiral and both 1 foot long and took it with me. We started with the spade but immediately, there was too much wobble, due I think to the reduced shaft size so, switched to the spiral which was 1/2" it's entire length. It went smoothly and we (he) drilled about 1" at a time, withdrawing the bit to expel the dust. About 6" in, we pulled the butt and re-weighed. 1/2 oz. gone. Cool! Put the butt back on and drilled out the entire length of the drill bit - 12 inches. Another re-weigh and it was now 1 ounce lighter. Perfect !! Man, I'm happy has can be. Haven't weighed the butt and shaft together yet, but am betting I'm right around 16 oz. total. All I know is it feels good and I never miss a shot with it. It even makes 7 rail bank shots. Sorry guys, it's not for sale :)

Be sure to update us when your cue breaks...

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I looked around for several months and found a cue maker with a metal lathe. I<snip> I purchased two 1/2" drill bits - a spade and spiral and both 1 foot long and took it with me.

There is something contradictory in those two statements.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
What kind of joint and pin does it have.

There could be about an ounce there depending on the material.

I have removed the weight bolt from my cue and now, it is around 18 oz. Would like to get it down to 17 or, perhaps 16. Only way I can imagine is finding some woodworker with a lathe who could bore out some wood from the butt. Suggestion? Thanks