Rempe, Sigel, and The Miz @ 1-hole

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Everyone on this forum knows how good these giants were at 14.1 and 9-ball in their heyday, but I also started wondering if any of these guys ever played a lot of 1 pocket. We all know about Varner being able to hold his own in all games, but I've never heard too much about his contemporaries in one pocket or banks. I do know that Accu-stats has some tapes of the Miz competing at 1p late in his career.
 
StraightPoolIU said:
Everyone on this forum knows how good these giants were at 14.1 and 9-ball in their heyday, but I also started wondering if any of these guys ever played a lot of 1 pocket. We all know about Varner being able to hold his own in all games, but I've never heard too much about his contemporaries in one pocket or banks. I do know that Accu-stats has some tapes of the Miz competing at 1p late in his career.

I've heard of MS playing 1-pocket, but never witnessed it. In one of his tapes he states that many thought banks was his best game.

I even heard he played and faired well against Bugs once, but, Freddy quickly dismissed this one.

The Miz, with a little time could probably master any game if determined.
 
I have a dvd of Sigel vs Efren playing one pocket in Los Angeles, Efren beat him easily, as a matter of fact Efren played so well Sigel threw a white towel on the pool table and surrenderd!

Never saw Rempe or the Miz playing one hole...
 
All three played one pocket well imo. I have accustats of all three and of the three I would put Miz at the top, followed by Sigel and then Rempe. Both Sigel and Miz played such outstanding 14.1 that when they got an open shot, they played the strongest move of all in 1p: 8 and out.

Miz was in the finals of at least two of Grady's Legends of One Pocket tournaments. He lost both, one to Steve Cook and one to Shannon Daulton. In the Daulton match, he is winning IIRC 4-2 or 4-1 racing to 5 and has his match ball hanging. Shannon fires a ball straight back with power draw, drawing underneath the stack and back out and uptable for position. He runs out from there and eventually wins double hill. STRONG. The same shot was later put into one of Eddie Robin's one pocket books (SMS I think).
 
StraightPoolIU said:
Everyone on this forum knows how good these giants were at 14.1 and 9-ball in their heyday, but I also started wondering if any of these guys ever played a lot of 1 pocket. We all know about Varner being able to hold his own in all games, but I've never heard too much about his contemporaries in one pocket or banks. I do know that Accu-stats has some tapes of the Miz competing at 1p late in his career.

King James, the Miz and the Capt. Hook have won professional one-pocket tournaments. Being three of the greatest position players and shotmakers the world has ever known, that shouldn't be a surprise. Rempe won the one-hole event at Johnson City.

Steve Booth's Onepocket.org has a nice list of top one-pocket tournament results: http://www.onepocket.org/records.htm

{edit: I don't see a title listing for Mizerak. I thought he had one a one-hole tourney}

Fred
 
Last edited:
Back
Top