Reproduction photo's Opinions

Jeff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So what do you guys think, is this just causing more problems with fakes, etc.

Also I wonder how these big dealers of reproduction photos/collector items get away with it.

I just saw an old original picture go on ebay with a pretty high price and the winning bidder is one of the biggest sellers of reproduction photos on ebay.

Anytime a nice collectable item comes up on ebay, this guy usually outbids everyone, and if he doesn't win, he drives up the price past the point of it being available to most bidders.

Then in no time at all, there is the same picture on sale (in reproduction form) on his site/ebay.
 
Jeff said:
So what do you guys think, is this just causing more problems with fakes, etc.

Also I wonder how these big dealers of reproduction photos/collector items get away with it.

I just saw an old original picture go on ebay with a pretty high price and the winning bidder is one of the biggest sellers of reproduction photos on ebay.

Anytime a nice collectable item comes up on ebay, this guy usually outbids everyone, and if he doesn't win, he drives up the price past the point of it being available to most bidders.

Then in no time at all, there is the same picture on sale (in reproduction form) on his site/ebay.

Jeff, fakes are very easy to identify so I do not think it is a big problem. Most honest sellers list copies for what they are, and those who do not have a bad photo for the purpose of deception. Also their feedback tells the whole story any way. I have around 100 photo's either hanging in my pool room or in storage. I think reproductions are great, for the general public, it gives many a chance to spice up their home pool rooms. I do agree that there is room for dishonest behavior, but if you are buying from a honest source there are not really any problems.

I do know what you mean though about buying on eBay. Their are a number of individuals who have shills bidding on their items to increase the price. What I do is set the max I will pay and bid no more. This way the shill gets stuck and has to re-list their item. After a while the fee's kick them in the ass and they let it go. You know Jeff, karma is everything and the people you are speaking of will get it sooner or later, it is just a matter of time.
 
I Have A Land Camera AND A Brownie

"Reproduction photo's Opinions "

I'm against reproduction photos, yessir, I'm 100% against reproductions.
When I'm feeling better, I intend to go on a lengthy trek around the United States and take some original authentic photos of Fats, Mosconi, U.J.Puckett, Irving Crane, JFK and Hal Houle.

Doug
( I'd take some of Jay Helfert if JoeyA. could ever find him ) :)


*Would anyone like to finance this endeavor ? Anyone ? Anyone at all ? Beuller, Beuller ? Fatboy ? Anyone ?
 
copyright

Owning a print of a picture, even if it is the original and only print, doesn't give you copyright. Unless the original photographer transfers the copyright, it belongs to them until fifty years after their death. The exceptions are when photographs are taken under contract or when the photographer explicitly transfers the copyright to someone else. No doubt many of the copies are illegal even if advertised as copies.

I sometimes give away or sell the only print of one of my images. I never release the copyright and won't without a lot of dollars coming my way.

Hu


Jeff said:
So what do you guys think, is this just causing more problems with fakes, etc.

Also I wonder how these big dealers of reproduction photos/collector items get away with it.

I just saw an old original picture go on ebay with a pretty high price and the winning bidder is one of the biggest sellers of reproduction photos on ebay.

Anytime a nice collectable item comes up on ebay, this guy usually outbids everyone, and if he doesn't win, he drives up the price past the point of it being available to most bidders.

Then in no time at all, there is the same picture on sale (in reproduction form) on his site/ebay.
 
Sileds....With Narration By ME

Smorgass Bored said:
*Would anyone like to finance this endeavor ? Anyone ? Anyone at all ? Beuller, Beuller ? Fatboy ? Anyone ?


So far, the donations to my planned 'original' picture taking trip have amounted to $ZERO.oo
Doug
( don't MAKE me show you all endless slides of my vacations as a child )


*'Sileds' is a new 21st Century spelling for 'slides' and it's catching on pretty fast...... imo
 
Back
Top