Review: Chalk Holders Crical brand

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently switched to the premium Taom chalk and decided to give a few holders a try. I've always played the room provided Masters and left it on the table rail. I bought 3 different brands after spending a lot of time on Amazon to narrow down to these three. The clear winner for me is the Crical brand. It costs $24 on Amazon.

I have zero affiliation with any of these brands/sellers/amazon/etc.

Link:

1710699843871.png

Crical on the far right. It has a clip like a clothesline clip that can attach to the belt, the waist band, or the pocket. The middle one has a metal spring clip. It was super stiff. It would not attach to the waistband of my jogging pants.

1710699866007.png

I did not like the pencil type (far left). It kept falling out of my pocket. I was using jogging pants while trying, I did not try it with jeans or other pants. The middle one is a magnet type. It comes with two magnets with an adhesive back, that stick to the chalk. I didn't like that system at all and didn't even stick it to the chalk (so I could return it). The Crical one on the right has a pocket molded into the rubber piece that the chalk covers. It's held in place by the chalk, and the chalk is held by the friction of the rubber. It works well, and no adhesive to mess with.

1710699892838.png

Closeup of the adhesive metal disk for the middle one. The middle one also has an aluminum housing. It's too bulky IMO. The second black piece behind the bag is the cap to keep the chalk dust secure when not using the chalk. It attaches to the main holder with 3 tiny magnets.

1710699916937.png

Closeup of the magnet for the Crical. It does not matter which way you put the magnet in. If you put it the opposite way, you just flip the clip on your pants. The clip's legs each have a magnet in it and they are set opposite poles, so you can always find an opposites attract orientation.

1710699937955.png

The Crical also comes with a square holder, and a second magnet for it. I did not try to see how it fit on Masters.

1710700071958.png

It clips anywhere. All types of pants or pockets or belts. I used it at a tournament this weekend with dressier pants with the clip towards the bottom of the pants pocket. Not shown, the Crical also has a rubber cap for the chalk. I put the cap on and then place the chalk in a zip lock bag, then place it in my pool cue case pocket.

Last edited:

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently switched to the premium Taom chalk and decided to give a few holders a try. I've always played the room provided Masters and left it on the table rail. I bought 3 different brands after spending a lot of time on Amazon to narrow down to these three. The clear winner for me is the Crical brand. It costs $24 on Amazon.

Link:

View attachment 749231
Crical on the far right. It has a clip like a clothesline clip that can attach to the belt, the waist band, or the pocket. The middle one has a metal spring clip. It was super stiff. It would not attach to the waistband of my jogging pants.

View attachment 749232
I did not like the pencil type (far left). It kept falling out of my pocket. I was using jogging pants while trying, I did not try it with jeans or other pants. The middle one is a magnet type. It comes with two magnets with an adhesive back, that stick to the chalk. I didn't like that system at all and didn't even stick it to the chalk (so I could return it). The Crical one on the right has a pocket molded into the rubber piece that the chalk covers. It's held in place by the chalk, and the chalk is held by the friction of the rubber. It works well, and no adhesive to mess with.

View attachment 749233
Closeup of the adhesive metal disk for the middle one. The middle one also has an aluminum housing. It's too bulky IMO. The second black piece behind the bag is the cap to keep the chalk dust secure when not using the chalk. It attaches to the main holder with 3 tiny magnets.

View attachment 749235
Closeup of the magnet for the Crical. It does not matter which way you put the magnet in. If you put it the opposite way, you just flip the clip on your pants. The clip's legs each have a magnet in it and they are set opposite poles, so you can always find an opposites attract orientation.

View attachment 749236
The Crical also comes with a square holder, and a second magnet for it. I did not try to see how it fit on Masters.

View attachment 749237
It clips anywhere. All types of pants or pockets or belts. I used it at a tournament this weekend with dressier pants with the clip towards the bottom of the pants pocket. Not shown, the Crical also has a rubber cap for the chalk. I put the cap on and then place the chalk in a zip lock bag, then place it in my pool cue case pocket.
I'm always amused when pro's lose track of their chalk. Is there a reason to not stick it in your pocket?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm always amused when pro's lose track of their chalk. Is there a reason to not stick it in your pocket?
To me, that is a horrible idea. Your pants will become all blue (or the new colors). And every time you go to dig out the chalk, it will get all over your fingers, since there is no way to orient it inside the pocket.

I never tried it but those are the reasons I don’t even want to try.

Different strokes for different folks.

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
Cool! I designed a few versions, and have one with a transport box and all the goodies. The basic one includes multiple magnets to adjust the pull force and spacers to adjust the chalk height as it ages.

Here’s the basic version:

TrxR

To me, that is a horrible idea. Your pants will become all blue (or the new colors). And every time you go to dig out the chalk, it will get all over your fingers, since there is no way to orient it inside the pocket.

I never tried it but those are the reasons I don’t even want to try.

Different strokes for different folks.
I keep my V10 chalk in my pocket and it doesn't seem to make a mess and I don't get my hands dirty.

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
Not for nothing.....They all look good......I have not felt a need for the thing being stuck to my side ....and .I just can't stand the hard plastic feel....I like a comfort grip with a rubber like grip and finger indents;)

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I chalk only once a rack so I leave my chalk with my case. I just bought this so it wouldn’t get all over the inside of my case. Highly recommend.

Attachments

• IMG_6819.png
    IMG_6819.png
    289.6 KB · Views: 32

Flakeandrun

I chalk only once a rack so I leave my chalk with my case. I just bought this so it wouldn’t get all over the inside of my case. Highly recommend.
Once per rack? Maybe it's just from playing snooker, where I was always coached to chalk every shot as part of PSR, but once a rack blows my mind.
Do you give it a bit extra before a deep screw, or other such scenario?

spgcues

I bought one of these, and I really like the case. One exception, though, they knurled the top half of the case for better grip. The bottom of the case, that actually holds the chalk, is not knurled and it’s very slippery. It makes it very hard to chalk your cue. I decided to keep the case just to store the chalk so it doesn’t get messy. I even went as far to make a belt clip for it. It is magnetic, so I bought a carbon fiber money clip, and a neo magnet. It works really well but, like I said, I don’t use it to actually chalk my cue because the bottom half is very difficult to hold.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 24

Flakeandrun

Link:

View attachment 749231

View attachment 749232

View attachment 749233

View attachment 749235

View attachment 749236

View attachment 749237
Many people use similar here. It amazes me it cost 24$ I can find on Taobao for about 50rmb (5$)