Review the video please

JuicyGirl

Scroll Lock- Juicy Style
Silver Member
First off I'd like to say thanks for checking out the video. 2nd. Please disregard the break. I've switched from the right side break to a break from 1 diamond right from center this week. I like it a lot more but I am lifting my cue when I use the open bridge. When I remember to use the closed bridge I don't swing up. By the end of the morning I had this corrected. I started playing speed pool because I was taking too long and did really really well... except my arm went flying on the break again :eek:, and the darn battery died after the first minute.

Thanks again and take it easy on the old lady :D
Loren

http://youtu.be/LuSGEDi_5eA
EO Break/speed pool with flying arm!
http://youtu.be/Xm7nfWGLueQ

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only watched the first rack, but a few observations.

1. Try using a closed bridge on the break. Or break from the rail so you can bridge over the cue. I think you'll find you have more control.

2. Take ball in hand after the break. It can be a confidence booster to start each rack after the break with an easy shot instead of being jacked up over a ball like you were in the first break.

3. You're dropping your shoulder/elbow way too much.

Here are 3 videos from Dr. Dave that I think will improve your technique and fundamentals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlmhEqTikYI Pendulum Stroke

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCiDMcTxW8A MOFUDAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=680o8EChP_o Vision Center

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Loren...I too only watched the first couple of racks. Someone needs to help you with your swing. It's all over the place. Sometimes you're off balance, sometimes a poor bridge, sometimes no consistent PSR, sometime leading with your shoulder (elbow drop)...etc. First off, the cue should NEVER end up in the air. Your tip should be angled down, pointing at your target, when you're done. In an hour or two I can get you into a consistent stance, PSR, and accurate pendulum swing...eliminating a LOT of the misses I saw. Now...that said, none of this means you cannot pocket balls and win games (albeit with an inconsistent process). Keep having fun out there, and I hope to see you when I come to FL. :grin:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Mark Avlon

Northwest Pool School
Silver Member
Your mechanics need a lot of work. Your stance, choice of bridge, stroke, and pre-shot routine all need work.

Choose a stance that allows you to properly align and allows you room to stroke the cue freely. Chose a bridge that allows for as level of a cue as is possible for the shot. Relax your grip so that it's a pivot point between your hand and the cue. Develop a smooth, fluid pendulum stroke. Develop a consistent pre-shot routine that begins with chalking.

This is a lot to work on and some of them will be difficult without another set of eyes and feedback. Particularly your stroke. As Scott mentioned, the best solution to improve would be to visit an instructor in your area. They can help you correct your mechanics quickly and effectively.

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Loren, first of all, you are right in the middle of developing your style of play. Yes, you can let someone turn you into what they think you should look like but I like the idea of you creating yourself on the table.

Sure, you're making some mistakes. I'm not at all worried about your shoulder drop. I love your follow through. Also, I'm not all that sure you're ready for a formal pre shot routine yet that encompasses everything. I recommend that you work on just one or two things at a time, like, your stance, for instance. Where you place your feet will help your arm move in a straight line.

You can't do it all at once and no instructor should try to fix it all at once. Experiment with your stance. Also, make sure you stay put and follow through on every shot. If you can nail those two things down, you will be well on your way. Working on your stroke rhythm and timing can be something you do as you go along. But get your alignment right first.

And most of all, continue to be YOU! I wouldn't want to see you turn into somebody you're not.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Loren, first of all, you are right in the middle of developing your style of play. Yes, you can let someone turn you into what they think you should look like but I like the idea of you creating yourself on the table.

Sure, you're making some mistakes. I'm not at all worried about your shoulder drop. I love your follow through. Also, I'm not all that sure you're ready for a formal pre shot routine yet that encompasses everything. I recommend that you work on just one or two things at a time, like, your stance, for instance. Where you place your feet will help your arm move in a straight line.

You can't do it all at once and no instructor should try to fix it all at once. Experiment with your stance. Also, make sure you stay put and follow through on every shot. If you can nail those two things down, you will be well on your way. Working on your stroke rhythm and timing can be something you do as you go along. But get your alignment right first.

And most of all, continue to be YOU! I wouldn't want to see you turn into somebody you're not.

Fran, I would hate to turn her into a good player, which she is not...;)

randyg

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only watched the first couple of minutes. You seem to be determined to play pool. It is a great game.

Get professional instruction as previously posted.

Stay with it

John

kanecalgary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not an instructor, but what do the instructors think about her crowding the table and having to move backwards getting down on the shot?
I like the idea of standing farther back visualizing the shot, then walking in and sliding the bridge hand down forward along the shot line. I found it unusual to see someone move away from the shot getting down, and was just wondering if anyone else noticed.
I know she has a lot to work on to become consistent, but my advice would be start with a solid PSR moving towards the shot.
Just my $0.02

Mark Avlon

Northwest Pool School
Silver Member
What style of play is she developing Fran? She is inconsistent with everything she does, and that leads to inconsistent results. Suggesting she continue to develop her style and create herself on the table without guidance as to how to do that or address obvious issues will do nothing to improve her as a player, and may even hinder her progress.

Would you suggest she use a different bridge at 7:30? What about her grip at 3:06? What about the stroke at 3:17 where her upper body and upper arm begins moving before contact. Would you suggest any changes for this?

There is nothing in the video to suggest there is an alignment issue. There were some hard to reach shots where her body was in the way, but this is the least of her worries.

How long does it take you to teach a player how to make a solid bridge on the rail and on the bed of the table? How long does it take you to teach a player how to hold a cue? How long does it take you to teach someone a pendulum stroke? How long does it take you to teach a simple pre-shot routine? It should only take few hours with an instructor to teach Loren solid mechanics. She won't master them in a few hours, but she will be well on her way with the knowledge and tools to master them herself.

Last edited:

JuicyGirl

Scroll Lock- Juicy Style
Silver Member
Mr. Lee has his work cut out for him!

It sure does sounds like a lot! I started working on the PST, stance and stroke with the help of my daughter. We sat through the videos and tried studying each of of our stance and pendulum. I get very tense it's exhausting.... and ughhh, I need to work out some, man this is tiring. :embarrassed2:
Thanks!
Loren

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It sure does sounds like a lot! I started working on the PST, stance and stroke with the help of my daughter. We sat through the videos and tried studying each of of our stance and pendulum. I get very tense it's exhausting.... and ughhh, I need to work out some, man this is tiring. :embarrassed2:
Thanks!
Loren

You remind me a lot of myself in my early years of playing. Getting better is a slow process, so don't let it overwhelm you. Just pick one or two things at a time and work on them. Nobody can do it all at once.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What style of play is she developing Fran? She is inconsistent with everything she does, and that leads to inconsistent results. Suggesting she continue to develop her style and create herself on the table without guidance as to how to do that or address obvious issues will do nothing to improve her as a player, and may even hinder her progress.

Would you suggest she use a different bridge at 7:30? What about her grip at 3:06? What about the stroke at 3:17 where her upper body and upper arm begins moving before contact. Would you suggest any changes for this?

There is nothing in the video to suggest there is an alignment issue. There were some hard to reach shots where her body was in the way, but this is the least of her worries.

How long does it take you to teach a player how to make a solid bridge on the rail and on the bed of the table? How long does it take you to teach a player how to hold a cue? How long does it take you to teach someone a pendulum stroke? How long does it take you to teach a simple pre-shot routine? It should only take few hours with an instructor to teach Loren solid mechanics. She won't master them in a few hours, but she will be well on her way with the knowledge and tools to master them herself.

I can tell you at least 10 things I need to work on in my own game right now. There will always be something for us to work on and yes, we can find things if we look for them. I'm not disputing you. I'm prioritizing on her behalf.

As instructors, we have to have the patience to allow players to explore certain things on their own. That's just my style of teaching. You don't have to agree with it.

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
From 30+ years of instructing golfers I have learned exactly what Fran is telling you. You cannot fix everything at once and nor should you try. Work on one thing for 30 days straight and build a new habit then move on to the next step. If you cannot do it daily then it will take longer before you move to the next item. Sadly, there are no shortcuts.

Be patient with yourself and enjoy the journey!

Ken

p.s. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Loren, I agree with Fran. You look disciplined and smooth for a newer player who is trying to improve. Why not let Donny Lutz visit with you again? He knows your game.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Loren, good for you for putting your video on here, and letting everyone see it.

It's a somewhat terrifying experience, at first, and it shows how committed you are to getting better. Many folks would never subject themselves to the public scrutiny.

I learned a lot from the gang here after I posted mine. And I learn still more when others post theirs. These folks are great.

Continued good luck, and good shooting. Keep having fun!

JuicyGirl

Scroll Lock- Juicy Style
Silver Member
A little MOFUDAT

Loren, good for you for putting your video on here, and letting everyone see it.

It's a somewhat terrifying experience, at first, and it shows how committed you are to getting better. Many folks would never subject themselves to the public scrutiny.

I learned a lot from the gang here after I posted mine. And I learn still more when others post theirs. These folks are great.

Continued good luck, and good shooting. Keep having fun!

Thanks justadub! It was not easy, but it is worth it. I'm less embarrassed of posting the video, than loosing my match.

BTW last night, I annihilated my opponent who was itching for a rematch with me. He's an APA SL 6 I'm an SL 2 (as shown by the video:rolleyes:). I needed to make 19 points to win, he needed 46 to win. We finished 19 for me and 14 him. 18 innings, and 12 defensive shots were tallied (8 him, 4 me). I'm certain that the comments here had something to do with my performace.
I LOVE IT:grin-square:!!!!

And just for a little more lashes from the crowed here is a short clip from last night. This was previous to my match, while practicing the MOFUDAT as advised. It's less than 2 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZT30gFQcDE

Needless to say, Don't hesitate to tell me how you really feel.
Regards,
Loren (going back to practice now)

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I am not qualified to make any comment on your video(s), but I will say that we don't have any SL2's around here that has as smooth a stroke as you show in the second video. :)

I'm betting you don't stay a 2 for long, especially if you go beating 6's :p

Congrats on your success, keep the updates coming.

kanecalgary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not an instructor

Very impressive!!!
You stayed down on the shot and didn't move a hair. You look really focused in your PSR and move into the ball. There are too many positive things to say about your improvement!
Great shooting! You showed a ton of improvement since your last video.
Good luck, and keep up your hard work.:thumbup:

Mark Avlon

Northwest Pool School
Silver Member
That's a very dramatic difference and improvement from your first videos. Why is there such a difference? Did you take a lesson between them, or did you simply apply what you had learned previously?

JuicyGirl

Scroll Lock- Juicy Style
Silver Member
I fear some may call me crazy for saying this. I think I have some sort of Jeckel and Hyde complex. It was quite odd but for months I've been shooting at the house losing a lot then I win match night much like yesterday. My problem is the hubs has been wondering why he wins at home but not on game night.

Yes I get lazy at home, but its obvious that's a poor choice on my part on many levels.

Our 16 year old daughter coached me after we watched Dr. Dave's video on the pendulum stroke.

Last night was my 20th match and 15th win. :/

Am I nuts or slacking?
I vote slacking at the house

Thanks for putting up with me.
Loren

That's a very dramatic difference and improvement from your first videos. Why is there such a difference? Did you take a lesson between them, or did you simply apply what you had learned previously?

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express