revo...a bangers perspective

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FYI - REVO shafts are NOT made in CHINA . . . unless Beverly, MA suddenly entered the Twilight Zone . . .

2rv142.jpg

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Jeebus he said he assumed it was made there and was happy to be corrected. Revo fanboys need to settle down. It's been handled.
IMO, a major upside to the pred/revo is it's easily replaced. I would be devastated if one of my hand made cues was stolen. If I played with a factory cue like a predator, a newer, cleaner replacement would be on my doorstep in a matter of days.
You guys find ways to differentiate your cues from the others? My buddy bought one recently and brought it to league. One week later, two other guys had the EXACT same cue. Same color and everything. It's harder to sell a stolen custom but these revos seen like prime targets for thieves because they're all the same and in demand. Predator should serialize them or something. Do they?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeebus he said he assumed it was made there and was happy to be corrected. Revo fanboys need to settle down. It's been handled.
IMO, a major upside to the pred/revo is it's easily replaced. I would be devastated if one of my hand made cues was stolen. If I played with a factory cue like a predator, a newer, cleaner replacement would be on my doorstep in a matter of days.
You guys find ways to differentiate your cues from the others? My buddy bought one recently and brought it to league. One week later, two other guys had the EXACT same cue. Same color and everything. It's harder to sell a stolen custom but these revos seen like prime targets for thieves because they're all the same and in demand. Predator should serialize them or something. Do they?

You make a good point so I just checked. Mine has a serial number . Gonna write it down .....just in case.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member

Revo shafts have serial numbers on the cue itself. Becue and Cynergy do not. Not many people in my area have either of the 2 butts I have and my break butt is engraved. I personally really only shoot in a dive bar so I don't ever bring any of my customs there. Not that I'd be concerned with theft but scared shitless about damage.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Revo shafts have serial numbers on the cue itself. Becue and Cynergy do not. Not many people in my area have either of the 2 butts I have and my break butt is engraved. I personally really only shoot in a dive bar so I don't ever bring any of my customs there. Not that I'd be concerned with theft but scared shitless about damage.

There are quite a few revos where I play at so I wrote my shaft serial number down. Not too concerned about the butt because no one around has a blak 4-1 .

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
There are quite a few revos where I play at so I wrote my shaft serial number down. Not too concerned about the butt because no one around has a blak 4-1 .

Sure you did already but you can register that # on predator website for the warranty to be valid.

OldOrvis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Revo

I have gone from maple to LD to REVO back to maple to LD lol and let me tell you the REVO is great and I will be back on Team REVO this week....It just makes pocketing balls easier, i feel like banking is easier also. the only thing I had a hard time with was touch shots in one pocket but after some time ill get use to it. I play with a predator sponsored player often and he said it took him 3 months to get to where he was totally comfortable so you cant use it for a few weeks and think its bad....you have to give it a real go.

RakRunr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been using a R12.9 for a month now, playing 4-5 times a week. Before that I used a 314-3 (and 314-2 before that). My completely personal and unscientific reflections are as follows:

1) REVO will NOT make you a better player, especially if you already play with an LD shaft. It's unrealistic to think that any shaft is going to make up for problems with your stroke.

2) There was/is an adjustment period. Sometimes I think I'm still adjusting as I yet have to regain my old consistency. I plan on going back to the 314-3 as a comparison in the near future.

3) My favorite features are the smoothness and durability. With the wooden shafts I was constantly fighting little nicks and imperfections, which I find very distracting.

4) The black shaft does not bother me, at this point I hardly notice. Same with the absence of a white ferrule. In fact, I think I would find the contrast of a white ferrule on a black shaft to be more distracting than the absence of a ferrule.

It's been mentioned in this thread that a softer tip is recommended. My guess is this is because the absence of a ferrule and the stiffer hit of the CF. Mine came with a Victory Soft (I think that's standard) and I haven't bothered to change it out. I'm honestly a little wary of my first tip change since they have so many rules about it, and I don't want to screw it up.

RailKing85

Carbon shaft cues do play different to wood ones. I prefer the carbon composite myself. For those who have never tried them before they are different. And if the right tip is on the carbon shaft that does make a real big difference. I find that most who are used to a wood cue, when switching to carbon, end up preferring a grade softer tip. So if they normally play with a medium, will play better with a medium soft to a soft tip. I have no idea as to why, but my testing has most often showed this result.
who makes carbon composite cues?

Grimper

After quite a bit of contemplating I decided to join the dark side and ordered a revo 12.9 unlilok for a predator blak 4 I have had for several years. The reason I chose to get one is that I have decided to quit swapping out the dozen or so cues I have and just stick to one cue.

I'm in this exact same place. I'm waiting on my new Predator P3 and Air Jump cues to be delivered. Now I've got to catalog all these other 12 or so cues I've got and sell them :)

I've gone back and forth from Revo to Cuetec to McDermott to Revo....I've got to stop it! :)

Grimper

Two very good players at Blue Fin Billiards told me this past week they were switching back to maple shafts and abandoning CF shafts.

I have no doubt that I shoot better with maple than I do with CF (I have Revo, Cuetec, and Defy shafts). I can aim better and see the cue ball better.

However, my table is in my garage and I just don't want to worry about warping (not to mention dinging), so I just give up the 5% or so and stick with the CF shafts.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to until I started getting allegies to alot of the woods in cues. Thought at one stage I was having allergies to the epoxies etc. But I have an autoimmune disorder. When I get it under control will be making cues again.

RailKing85

Carbon shaft cues do play different to wood ones. I prefer the carbon composite myself. For those who have never tried them before they are different. And if the right tip is on the carbon shaft that does make a real big difference. I find that most who are used to a wood cue, when switching to carbon, end up preferring a grade softer tip. So if they normally play with a medium, will play better with a medium soft to a soft tip. I have no idea as to why, but my testing has most often showed this result.
I used to until I started getting allegies to alot of the woods in cues. Thought at one stage I was having allergies to the epoxies etc. But I have an autoimmune disorder. When I get it under control will be making cues again.
Me too man. Hypothyroidism.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Purchased a Revo 11.8.
Just couldn't get completely comfortable with it.
Changed the tip out to a hard pressed Triangle and it felt a little better but couldn't get used to the taper either.
I went back to my maple shafts and will not look back.
Will be selling the Revo soon.