Rhino shaft buyers, let 'er rip.......

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
Honest question...If you use a shaft with a 12 inch pivot point but shoot with a 18 inch pivot point: Does deflection increase, decrease, or move to infinity?
Deflection doesn't change based on bridge length, by itself. But you'll have a little trouble using pure BHE for sidespin without further aim compensation.

The reason many players, like me, like to match their shaft's natural pivot point to their bridge length is either a) they like to use BHE for sidespin, which requires no aim adjustment if PP and bridge length is matched, and speed is sufficient to not worry about swerve back, and/or b) it offers some built-in forgiveness if you strike the CB left or right of center by mistake, since again, the CB deflection will perfectly offset the deflection from off-center strike.

I find this last reason particularly important for a break shaft, since when breaking and putting a lot of speed into the stroke, it's easy to hit the CB a little off-center. With a matched PP shaft and bridge length, the CB will still go exactly where you were aiming no matter how far off center you hit.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 3/8-10 12.4 Rhino shaft I'm using on an old McDermott butt. The original maple shaft fits this butt perfect at the collar. The Rhino shaft screws on just slightly off center at the collar - proud about 1/2 the thickness of a business card on one side and a touch less than flush on the other side. The shaft by itself rolls perfectly straight but with a tiny wobble when rolled with the butt. The problem might be with the McDermott pin/collar but I can't tell, it's the only 3/8-10 I have. Anybody else notice something like this?

Regardless, it's a minor issue to me and the shaft is for sure a keeper, hits very solidly without the vibration I sometimes noticed on hard shots and sounds a lot like the maple but with far less squirt. The medium tip it came with is softer feeling than the solid techno-duds I've been using but also spins the ball easier.
I had one that wasn't consistent around the outer diameter and without a proper measurer, I can't discern if the butt or shaft -or both?- is out of round.

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm saying don't sweat the amount of deflection your shaft has, if you like how it hits you will learn to adjust to the amount YOUR shaft has, to me it's easier to process what is going on if you think of it in the right way, didn't mean any harm at all, I use a CF as well, I like that it doesn't warp, not affected by temp or humidity, ect.
No offense taken.
I enjoy trying out different cue shafts, and comparing them.
I view your post as recycled rhetoric, nothing new I havent already heard.
Even if you were offering new info , Id still take your opinion with a grain of salt, fact check it & form my own opinion .

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are combing the technical mechanics of the shaft with the stroke into two separate things, but the result is the same. If you hit harder, the cueball moves out more from the line of aim, causing more deflection to adjust for. It may not change say the % of the movement of the ball for a given speed in the shaft, but the aiming point will change just the same. So a lower deflection shaft hit harder could have the exact same adjusting for aim as a higher deflection shaft hit softer. The end result is the same no matter how the ball arrives at the destination.
Initial squirt line does not vary with speed. More speed just make the cb go further down that line. Read the last sentence:https://billiards.colostate.edu/faq/squirt/speed-effects/

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
The shorter/closer a shaft's PP is the shorter your bridge-length needs to be. So using 12"PP shaft with that long bridge would increase deflection.
Technically, the deflection for any shaft is what it is, and bridge length doesn’t play into the equation.

What you’re talking about, I think, is the direction the CB will go when BHE is applied, as compared to a straight shot. When applying BHE with a bridge length longer than a shaft’s natural PP, there will not be enough correction for the shafts’s deflection, and the CB direction will miss opposite the english side.

Many players don’t use BHE, so not matching their bridge length to PP isn’t a big deal, except for them missing out on some natural forgiveness when hitting off-center by mistake.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Full cue arrived and just used it for a bit.

1- I knew I shoulda got the green.
A: feels like I'm playing with a cooler lid.
b. Plays pool.fine. finish is perfect, balance feels good but light and I got weight kit...we shall see how mure weight at the end is.

Firstly...happy with my sub $250 carbon cue. It may live in my car's trunk.

And I will start with the fact I did not know it had such fancy rings. Fancy.

Screenshot_20231229-170959.jpg
Screenshot_20231229-171016.jpg

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member

b. Plays pool.fine. finish is perfect, balance feels good but light and I got weight kit...we shall see how mure weight at the end is.

View attachment 735324View attachment 735326

Well, at least you still got a good shaft for a lot less than the big companies charge. And a playable trunk beater of course.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member

View attachment 735324View attachment 735326

i didn't read the entire thread to get up to speed

was RHINO the source for both butt and shaft, if not, who was?

THANKS

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member

THANKS

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member

THANKS, gotta give it a whirl for that number!!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

THANKS
Yeah
That is a ~$250 carbon butt and shaft with radial pin.

I also have the carom shaft so I can use this cue for either pool or billiards...and stop using the nice cue my dead friend made me for carom play.

FunChamp

I am glad I got the green. It looks good. I have a question for you. Are you having any issues with the weight bolt system? I can't put in the full 1 ounce bolt because it wont' go in far enough so that when you put the bumper back on it won't screw in all the way. I can only put in the half ounce bolt as that is all the room in the butt. There is a large bolt down in there but I am sure that is a large one for the whole weight of the cue. Basically they didn't leave enough room to add more than 1/2 ounce. Do you have the same issue?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am glad I got the green. It looks good. I have a question for you. Are you having any issues with the weight bolt system? I can't put in the full 1 ounce bolt because it wont' go in far enough so that when you put the bumper back on it won't screw in all the way. I can only put in the half ounce bolt as that is all the room in the butt. There is a large bolt down in there but I am sure that is a large one for the whole weight of the cue. Basically they didn't leave enough room to add more than 1/2 ounce. Do you have the same issue?
I'll let you know about this soon