Rich Cue Family

BayGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm interested in any information anyone can share regarding the cuemaking enterprises "related" to HOFer Abe Rich.
These include
New York Pool Table Company (Isadore Rich)
Rich Cue, aka Rich Cue (Saul Rich) of Freeport, LI, NY.
The Blue Book lists this company as having made cues in Freeport from 1912 to 1982. I believe these dates are inaccurate. I have not yet been able to find an address for the business. It was sold to Ike Algaze in 1970. (I believe Mr. Algaze is now in the boudoir photography business in Florida. It subsequently was sold to Imperial Cues, which made "Rich by Imperial" cues until 1982. Imperial is now, I believe, Betson Enterprises.
Florida Cue (Morris and Abe Rich)
Star Cue (Abe Rich)
Thanks, AZers in advance.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Hey Gene,

i would check with Long Island Native Cue Maker Mike Miller. he may be able to help you out or at least point you in the right direction. He frequents House Of Lords, so if you are in the Hicksville-Plainview area pop on in !! if its on the weekend i am ussually there. maybe we can shoot a few games of 14.1

-Steve

shoot me a pm and i will give you his phone number.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm interested in any information anyone can share regarding the cuemaking enterprises "related" to HOFer Abe Rich.
These include
New York Pool Table Company (Isadore Rich)
Rich Cue, aka Rich Cue (Saul Rich) of Freeport, LI, NY.
The Blue Book lists this company as having made cues in Freeport from 1912 to 1982. I believe these dates are inaccurate. I have not yet been able to find an address for the business. It was sold to Ike Algaze in 1970. (I believe Mr. Algaze is now in the boudoir photography business in Florida. It subsequently was sold to Imperial Cues, which made "Rich by Imperial" cues until 1982. Imperial is now, I believe, Betson Enterprises.
Florida Cue (Morris and Abe Rich)
Star Cue (Abe Rich)
Thanks, AZers in advance.

The Sept 2009 issue of InsidePOOL Magazine has the Star Cues (Abe Rich) article. The article touched lightly on Issy and Saul, and had a little more on Florida Cues and ultimately Star Cues. It was an article on Abe's life.

Much of the information on the article came from Abe's nephew (Morris' son) Howard Rich who still runs a custom woodworking shop. Howard inherited Abe's shop which included pristine finished cues buried under the sea of wood amassed over the years.

Brad Simpson should be a good contact of information as well.

Good luck,

Freddie

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Purchased a production cue from Abe in the early 90s at his shop on Miami Beach. Quite a NY character, old crusty, and direct.

My understanding was that his family, from NY, were well known cue makers in years past, having many well known celebrities as customers.

Remember reading an article from a publication going into further detail, but can't recall which publication, or when it was published.

J

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I visited with Abe Rich, upon discovering his shop when wandering around the Miami beach area during the beginning of it's comeback around 1993. The shop was located in an area of Miami beach that had gone way downhill in the 70s and 80s. Abe was sort of "out of it" by then- he was taking orders for custom cues- but not really able to follow up and actually make the cues. He was selling STRATFORD cues in the early 90s and Kotlin pool cue cases- Kotlin was a US gun case mfg. and made quality soft sided cue cases.

I recall returning to see Abe to "pick up" my custom cue that I had given him all my specs during my first visit- poor guy seemed to have no recollection - I too purchased a Kotlin cue case from him and a STRATFORD cue - just to give him some business and show a little support for a guy who really was a living legend in pool cue customization. Guys like ABE are all gone now- to own a cue from Abe's hands would be truly owning a piece of cue making history!

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My first cue was a Rich (multi color wrap& butt... bought it around 1966-67 for around $32. I was bringing home $42.40 a week at $1.25 an hour minimum wage. I got this a few years ago...should frame it

Attachments

• IMG_6166.jpeg
    IMG_6166.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_6165.jpeg
    IMG_6165.jpeg
    166.4 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I visited his shop and purchased a cue from him in 2005. He would not ship the cue to me but made me drive to his shop to get one. I took the wife to the Keys and stopped in on my way. She got a vacation and I got a cue. It was a cue he had started in the 70s and just finished it up then. It was like stepping back in history 40 years looking at his wood and equipment.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I visited his shop and purchased a cue from him in 2005. He would not ship the cue to me but made me drive to his shop to get one. I took the wife to the Keys and stopped in on my way. She got a vacation and I got a cue. It was a cue he had started in the 70s and just finished it up then. It was like stepping back in history 40 years looking at his wood and equipment.
Please post it. Thanks.

NateSchoepf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to know if this is a Rich Cue or maybe another cue maker?
I got this cue and the willie hoppe together in a purchase. The hoppe is a 1945-1951 according to sources I have read online. These are not listed for sale and I enjoy playing them very much.
I am trying to figure who made the other cue?
I have heard Rich Cue but I could not find any similar rich cues so I am still asking for help, maybe it is a rich cue so any more input would be great. Thanks.
The joint pin from shaft to butt on the cue is 5/16x18, I got just a pin and can screw it in and play my predator shaft on the butt and it plays great, the original shaft also plays great even with the water damage.
Please help me ID

Attachments

• View recent photos.png
    View recent photos.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • View recent photos 3.png
    View recent photos 3.png
    883.4 KB · Views: 36
  • View recent photos 4.png
    View recent photos 4.png
    804.3 KB · Views: 31
  • View recent photos 2.png