rings raised

dontscratch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My main playing cue has a couple of rings and points that I can feel when I am shooting.
Can I just take some clear sealer and put a light coat on and then sand and repeat until I can not feel them anymore?
Thanks in advance.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Did you have the cue out in freezing temperature? Some woods contract in freezing temperatures.

dontscratch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No-
Did you have the cue out in freezing temperature? Some woods contract in freezing temperatures.
I have just been playing at home and noticed over the last couple of weeks that I could feel them, and was hoping I could do something to prevent it from getting any worse.

Jimmy_Betmore

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All materials expand and contract differently when exposed to humidity and temperature changes. And this is a pretty common occurrence in pool cues. But unless it's making some funny noises or something like that I wouldn't worry about it. How old is the cue and what kind is it?

Concerning fixing it yourself... If it's a high dollar cue I wouldn't mess with it. If it's a less expensive cue and/or you don't mind potentially ruining the finish that's on it, I suppose you could try. However, if you don't like the outcome (likely) be prepared to send it out for a refinish which is what I would do starting out.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
My main playing cue has a couple of rings and points that I can feel when I am shooting.
Can I just take some clear sealer and put a light coat on and then sand and repeat until I can not feel them anymore?
Thanks in advance.
What kind of cue?

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The wood inside the rings swell and pushes them up into the finish. If you have it refinished, they can bring down the rings so they are flush, then refinish. Some cuemakers work is probs to this more than others, for example McDaniel silver rings at the buttcap.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
This happens with a lot of cues, with a lot of finishes. Keep your cue away from heat sources, your radiator, etc. Keep it away from outside walls. Inside walls are ok. And, get a good finish from a reputable cue repair guy in the first place. This happens more times than grains of sand in a beach.

All the best,
WW

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just one of the things a cue builder should consider when building a cue. Some things move pretty similarly. When you combine wood with rock, coral, silver in particular likes to grow, it is almost a given that these components are going to expand and contract at different rates than the wood. Eventually the finish fails often in so tiny of fractures at first that they can't be seen. However they let moisture in from sweat or whatever else is in the air or on your hands.

You seem to have an affinity for the cue so I would say the only question is if you do it yourself or pay somebody else to. Some finishes get along with each other better than others. Unfortunately one of the safest finishes to use in terms of compatibility isn't very durable so I would say the first step is trying to find out what finish is on the cue now and what can be used over the top of it if you don't intend to totally strip the cue.

Before tackling this yourself or sending the cue off I would weigh and measure it to the best of my ability and check the balance point. Consider the taper on the shaft, just what is it that makes this cue special?

Good luck whatever route you try, including just leaving the cue alone.

Hu