Rodney Morris Hall of fame??

8intheside

I was searching current and all time BCA hall of fame members,and I happen to see Rodney Morris. I don’t mean To take anything away from him, but how does he qualify when his only major accomplishment is one US- open win?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was searching current and all time BCA hall of fame members,and I happen to see Rodney Morris. I don’t mean To take anything away from him, but how does he qualify when his only major accomplishment is one US- open win?
If you don't mean to take anything away why question his inclusion?? Great player, good guy to be around and entertaining as hell to watch play. Its the Hall of FAME, not the hall of major titles. Rodney belongs there.

8intheside

So being a good guy qualifies you for the hall of fame? Sorta like everyone gets a trophy huh? just look at The numerous titles and world championships of other hall of famers, and maybe you’ll get it!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd say that his eight Mosconi Cup appearances confirm hat he was one of the most elite American players for many years. He's deserving.
I agree. When he won the Open he beat the person everyone on here calls the GOAT. He was one of the best rotation players of his era.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Generally, Hall of Fame inductees in numerous sports have been watered down in recent years, none more so than baseball. They feel a need to induct at least a few players every year, so they can hold all their annual Hall of Fame festivities, etc.

If you look at the top pro players of Rodney’s generation (currently in their 40s / 50s, Rodney would arguably rank in the top 10, and likely in the top five of US players of that generation, somewhere behind Strickland and Archer. Now in his early 50s, Rodney is still a formidable player, although he doesn’t seem to play in many tournaments, unlike Johnny and Earl.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Generally, Hall of Fame inductees in numerous sports have been watered down in recent years, none more so than baseball. They feel a need to induct at least a few players every year, so they can hold all their annual Hall of Fame festivities, etc.

If you look at the top pro players of Rodney’s generation (currently in their 40s / 50s, Rodney would arguably rank in the top 10, and likely in the top five of US players of that generation, somewhere behind Strickland and Archer. Now in his early 50s, Rodney is still a formidable player, although he doesn’t seem to play in many tournaments, unlike Johnny and Earl.
RM was in Tulsa pre-covid working for/with the guys from TSPN. Still playing but not full-time. He still runs out like water.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RM was in Tulsa pre-covid working for/with the guys from TSPN. Still playing but not full-time. He still runs out like water.
Yes, Rodney is certainly one of the most naturally gifted players that come to mind. There was no better and more entertaining a Mosconi Cup scotch doubles team to watch play in history that I can think of other than Rodney and Earl. Only three US players have more Mosconi Cup appearances than Rodney, and we all know who those three are. Correction - 4 players. Cory Deuel played in 11 Mosconi Cups, Rodney played in 10.

Last edited:

8intheside

Yes, Rodney is certainly one of the most naturally gifted players that come to mind. There was no better Mosconi cup scotch doubles team I can think of than Rodney and Earl.
varner1.jpg

Nick Varner

"Kentucky Colonel"
1948 - Present
Inducted 1992
Learning the basics of pool at an early age from his father in his hometown of Owensboro, Kentucky, Nick Varner displayed his great overall talents in 14.1, Nine Ball, One Pocket and Bank Pool by claiming the 1969 and 1970 national ACU-I collegiate titles, the World 14.1 Championship in 1980 and 1986 and the BCA National Eight Ball Championship in 1980. Accumulating over 20 major titles in his career, he became only the second man to earn over $100,000 in prize winnings in the memorable 1989 season in which he won eight of the 16 major Nine Ball events. Winner of the Player of the Year in 1980 and 1989, and the first honoree of the MPBA Sportsperson of the Year in 1991, Nick has always been an exemplary role model and has enriched the sport of pocket billiards through his many years of dedication to excellence and sportsmanship. ‘This is the bio of a hall of famer’ if you look at the resume of Morris, how can you say they belong in the same group?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
varner1.jpg

Nick Varner

"Kentucky Colonel"
1948 - Present
Inducted 1992
Learning the basics of pool at an early age from his father in his hometown of Owensboro, Kentucky, Nick Varner displayed his great overall talents in 14.1, Nine Ball, One Pocket and Bank Pool by claiming the 1969 and 1970 national ACU-I collegiate titles, the World 14.1 Championship in 1980 and 1986 and the BCA National Eight Ball Championship in 1980. Accumulating over 20 major titles in his career, he became only the second man to earn over $100,000 in prize winnings in the memorable 1989 season in which he won eight of the 16 major Nine Ball events. Winner of the Player of the Year in 1980 and 1989, and the first honoree of the MPBA Sportsperson of the Year in 1991, Nick has always been an exemplary role model and has enriched the sport of pocket billiards through his many years of dedication to excellence and sportsmanship. ‘This is the bio of a hall of famer’ if you look at the resume of Morris, how can you say they belong lin the same group?
No one here is going to compare Morris’s career HOF worthy credentials to Varner’s. What’s your point? A better comparison would be to someone like Lou Butera.

8intheside

We got it. You don't think he should be in. BCA thought otherwise and i for one have zero issues with it. What's your end game here? Start a petition for his removal??
Stop being so sensitive. We’re just having discussion. I’m simply stating my case, if you disagree thats fine too

8intheside

No one here is going to compare Morris’s career HOF worthy credentials to Varner’s. What’s your point? A better comparison would be to someone like Lou Butera.
My point is you have one guy who’s won multiple world titles in all pool games, and in my opinion that merits the Hall of fame

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stop being so sensitive. We’re just having discussion. I’m simply stating my case, if you disagree thats fine too
I'm not sensitive at all. I just don't see what your trying to accomplish. You don't think he should be in. Ok.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
My point is you have one guy who’s won multiple world titles in all pool games, and in my opinion that merits the Hall of fame
I think his point is that it’s an unfair comparison. It’s better to compare him with other hof players with similar accomplishments. Butera doesn’t have a mountain of titles either. He does have a world title, but at the time there wasn’t much of a global game.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a forum where people discuss topics right? I’m not trying to accomplish anything but that.
Honestly? You might just contact the BCA and ask them. You are wanting to know how he got in, right? Everyone on here is gonna give their $.02 worth. Might as well get it from the horses mouth.